The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Calgary Stabbing

drummer4now

Guns and knives and etc, know that guns are controlled by people same as knives are. I'm a supporter of guns open to discussion, though nothing persuades me otherwise or yet hasn't.

subtitles in portuguese :P

violence is everywhere. in the end it all comes to the old "people kill people"...

you can have a gun, a knife, a fork and even a spoon. no matter, if you want kill you will find a way... :ph34r:

Very sad. Maybe I'm getting old but house parties scare me. I've just never been a fan of mass gatherings at random peoples' houses. The only time I ever go to house parties is if it's a small group and I know the person whose house it is pretty well.

Apparently U of C was tweeting and asking students to call their parents and let them know that they were ok. The school had hysterical parents calling to ask about their kids because they hadn't heard from their kids directly and they were not sure if their kids had been at that party.

Seriously kids, is it so hard to call or text your parents and let them know you're not dead!? SMH

BSD is a huge gong-show.. most of the campus shows up for a massive beer-garden that then spills over into the clubs / house parties / residence. Most probably didn't even know that had happened.

I read the article and there is obviously some mental-health issues or significant back-story that isn't being reported. The "house party" was about 20 people post-BSD having a fire pit and not making a lot of noise according to neighbors.. and the kid has a picture from last year running a 10-K. Apparently he was invited to the party and attacked people after getting off work from his shift at a grocery store. Very bizarre.

See, you could kill 5 people with a knife.

What do the ban gun nuts have to say about this?

Ban knifes?

+1 for this. :lol:

Everytime there is a gun shooting, the first thing gun haters do is to blame guns for the incident. So what is the difference? Five people were killed WITHOUT a gun. Yet when five people are killed with guns, the knee jerk reaction is to blame guns.

And this!
Every gun tragedy has to be politicized by the anti-gun crowd, funny how they'd get mad at it here. Gotta love the fun in pointing out blatant hypocrisy. :)

Very sad. Maybe I'm getting old but house parties scare me. I've just never been a fan of mass gatherings at random peoples' houses. The only time I ever go to house parties is if it's a small group and I know the person whose house it is pretty well.

Apparently U of C was tweeting and asking students to call their parents and let them know that they were ok. The school had hysterical parents calling to ask about their kids because they hadn't heard from their kids directly and they were not sure if their kids had been at that party.

Seriously kids, is it so hard to call or text your parents and let them know you're not dead!? SMH

Actually, while I was nowhere near this incident (maybe 2-3km away at the time), just because I was out Monday night I got a handful of texts from people asking if I was okay. The kids were probably too shocked and caught up in what happened, I'd give them a break.

If the guy had had a gun would the death count be lower or higher? I think we all know the answer.

Perhaps, but we also know the answer of how dangerous knives are too. Clearly this requires background checks before getting knives. It's the only way to be safe from an item that both takes over people's brains and makes them kill people, but has no other purpose than killing!

Ban knifes?

The ban gun nuts may be idiotic sometimes, but so are those who counter with an argument about banning knives. If you feel the other group is making a poor argument, make a better one. Don't shrink to a level of idiocy that matches that of the group you disagree with.

Everytime there is a gun shooting, the first thing gun haters do is to blame guns for the incident. So what is the difference? Five people were killed WITHOUT a gun. Yet when five people are killed with guns, the knee jerk reaction is to blame guns.

It's because human beings are dumb :sadno: You can't let them do whatever they want.

You don't purposely give morons guns and just tell them to use common sense. Maybe you should try using some?

Same way you don't give a kid 5 bags of candy, tell them they can only have one piece and go out to the store for a couple hours. I mean it's not the candies fault right? Only in this instance a kid gets a stomach ache, in your world people die.

Get it?

Just because the gun is not at fault it doesn't mean you don't try to eliminate threats from people's lives.

Ban knifes?

I've never accused you of being intelligent, but surely you can't be so dim as to not be able to see the difference. While you have a valid point in that you can kill a person with a wide range of objects (knife, screwdriver, scissors, baseball bat, 2x4, brick, pipe wrench, pipe, even a plastic shopping bag) the difference is that these objects are designed for a completely different purpose, guns are designed specifically to kill, they have no other use. Guns make it far easier to kill, and kill a lot of people in a short time frame and from a greater distance.

Being that I live pretty close to the incident it's a little unsettling.

You would have to think it's a mental condition of some sort. It seems to be completly unprovoked, whether it's premeditated is the question I think. Did he have a plan when he showed up or did something just trigger and he snapped. Maybe he was under a lot of stress and that caused him to go over the edge. Either way, something uncovered the fact that this kid is a raving pyschopath. It was apparantly quite vicious as well.

Being that I live pretty close to the incident it's a little unsettling.

You would have to think it's a mental condition of some sort. It seems to be completly unprovoked, whether it's premeditated is the question I think. Did he have a plan when he showed up or did something just trigger and he snapped. Maybe he was under a lot of stress and that caused him to go over the edge. Either way, something uncovered the fact that this kid is a raving pyschopath. It was apparantly quite vicious as well.

At a time like this I know that it is not always appropriate to argue about disorders, when the bigger issue is that families are now mourning the loss of their children.

But, I think it should be clarified that individuals with a mental illness like schizophrenia are not the same as psychopaths. If this guy was just a normal kid who had a mental break from reality, he is not a psychopath. A psychopath is callous, unemotional, manipulative, lacks remorse and empathy, is narcissistic, shows no loyalty to others, etc. To suggest that people with mental illnesses are psychopathic is not exactly fair to them. In fact, if you have a mental illness like schizophrenia, it is pretty much impossible for you to also be diagnosed with psychopathy.

If this kid had friends, was successful in school, showed an ability to stay focus, lacked impulsivity, and had no criminal record, it is really unlikely that he was psychopathic. Unfortunately this is more likely the case of manifestations of symptoms of schizophrenia being coupled with stressors such as exams, trying to get a job, the fear of law school, etc. Adam Lanza (involved in the Sany Hook shootings) for example, is not psychopathic. Schizophrenia combined with autistic spectral disorder were more likely the driving forces behind his shootings. Psychopaths are basically beyond help or treatment. At present, nobody knows how to treat or change a psychopath. So, calling someone with a mental illness a psychoapth is like saying that people with mental illnesses are hopeless, cannot be treated, and will always be a threat. This could lead to a lot of negative perceptions and stigma towards people with mental health issues. They aren't all psychopaths however, and shouldn't be labelled as such.

At a time like this I know that it is not always appropriate to argue about disorders, when the bigger issue is that families are now mourning the loss of their children.

But, I think it should be clarified that individuals with a mental illness like schizophrenia are not the same as psychopaths. If this guy was just a normal kid who had a mental break from reality, he is not a psychopath. A psychopath is callous, unemotional, manipulative, lacks remorse and empathy, is narcissistic, shows no loyalty to others, etc. To suggest that people with mental illnesses are psychopathic is not exactly fair to them. In fact, if you have a mental illness like schizophrenia, it is pretty much impossible for you to also be diagnosed with psychopathy.

If this kid had friends, was successful in school, showed an ability to stay focus, lacked impulsivity, and had no criminal record, it is really unlikely that he was psychopathic. Unfortunately this is more likely the case of manifestations of symptoms of schizophrenia being coupled with stressors such as exams, trying to get a job, the fear of law school, etc. Adam Lanza (involved in the Sany Hook shootings) for example, is not psychopathic. Schizophrenia combined with autistic spectral disorder were more likely the driving forces behind his shootings. Psychopaths are basically beyond help or treatment. At present, nobody knows how to treat or change a psychopath. So, calling someone with a mental illness a psychoapth is like saying that people with mental illnesses are hopeless, cannot be treated, and will always be a threat. This could lead to a lot of negative perceptions and stigma towards people with mental health issues. They aren't all psychopaths however, and shouldn't be labelled as such.

Sorry if I was unclear Down By the River. I should have choose my words better for such a sensitive topic. I was coming at it from a criminal point of view and it was meant in a questioning sense. From what I've heard being in Calgary here the number of stab wounds and amount of blood etc., are extreme, and the so far known events would definitley raise the quesiton of pyschopathic behaviour (combined with sociopathy in order to function).

I was basically trying to question what you've described very nicely. I was wondering if this can be described by mental disorder because it looks like overkill. Basically having a mental breakdown and such may lead to an event or two but orchestrate such an event with this much devesation is so over the top. Killing 5 people is no easy task and would be hard for a schizophrenic as well.

Anyways I'm no doctor so I'll leave it at that. What a tradegy.

Sorry if I was unclear Down By the River. I was coming at it from a criminal point of view and it was meant in a questioning sense. From what I've heard being in Calgary here the number of stab wounds and amount of blood etc., are extreme, and the so far known events would definitley raise the quesiton of pyschopathic behaviour. I was basically trying to question what you've described very nicely. I was wondering if this can be described by mental disorder because it looks like overkill. Basically having a mental breakdown and such may lead to an event or two but orchestrate such an event with this much devesation is so over the top. Killing 5 people would be hard for a schizophrenic.

Anyways I'm no doctor so I'll leave it at that. What a tradegy.

No problem, you certainly did not say anything offensive, just something that I thought could be clarified.

In one of my classes we did a case study of a man who had a psychotic break after being humiliated by his wife. They were getting into arguments, and she eventually grabbed some of his belongings and through them into the courtyard of their apartment complex. He retrieved them, returned to his apartment, cut his wife's head off, tied the head back on with the living room curtains, and sat down on the couch and watched TV.

Complete overkill, but only due to his break from reality, not due to his wanting to cause pain/suffering/blood-lust, etc.

No problem, you certainly did not say anything offensive, just something that I thought could be clarified.

In one of my classes we did a case study of a man who had a psychotic break after being humiliated by his wife. They were getting into arguments, and she eventually grabbed some of his belongings and through them into the courtyard of their apartment complex. He retrieved them, returned to his apartment, cut his wife's head off, tied the head back on with the living room curtains, and sat down on the couch and watched TV.

Complete overkill, but only due to his break from reality, not due to his wanting to cause pain/suffering/blood-lust, etc.

Thanks for the education, I appreciate it. Took some psychology in University and was very involved with neurological diseases like Alzheimer's and Parkinson's, and stuff like amnesia. It's been a while, but recently I've been thinking of getting into some criminology so it really makes me wonder.

If the guy had had a gun would the death count be lower or higher? I think we all know the answer.

Guns make big boom knives go slice.... when a gun go boom people go WHAAAAATTTHHAAAFFFKKK run and call the police from what i understand this guy basically found someone alone (premeditated or not?) and stabbed them, then moved on to the next before anyone even knew what was up.

If he shot the first person who is to say he could have even shot one or more people in the frenzy after, and at least the gun shots would be more likely to miss in the mass panic then walking up to someone and stabbing them.

either way tragic event. and it seems like its not just Murica like everyone says it can happen anytime any place by an unknown person.

Everytime without fail when there is a shooting incident in the US, the argument of gun control comes up.

I am merely pointing out that a person will kill with whatever means are available if that person choose to kill. In Canada, it is relatively difficult to obtain a gun so most murders are done by knife. In China, whenever there is a mass killing, it is usually done by knives because the country's ban on guns.

Not really.

All it takes is 2 courses, about 14 hours total. As long as you don't have any violent crimes on your record, they will issue you a PAL.

Do you live in Canada ? Grab a license for 250 and blamo gun shopping. The reason why there are not massive amounts of shootings here is because CANADIANS do not choose to arm themselves with fire arms. WE use them to hunt, target practice even collect them.

The American constitution has created a very dangerous atmosphere of FEAR amongst it's citizens making them fearful enough to buy and carry weapons on a daily basis. Country wide. What did they think was going to happen if they kept 200 year old antiquated laws in place ?

The mentality that owning a gun for protection in the US as a God-Given right is insane. It perpetuates the sales of millions of fire arms and a care free attitude in owning them. Completely amend the laws to eliminate the manufacturing of assault rifles and restricted weapons to the public. Take it one step further and educate society in benevolence instead of violence ?

Stop glorifying death and murder to the masses and we wont have generations of mentally unstable people ready to mow down 60 people at a McDonald parking lot.

There are a lot more gun owners in Canada than you probably think. Ask any instructor of the courses required.

The girl who was killed was gorgeous. I think she's related to a person I work with (cousin's daughter?).

Not a lot of details yet, but my guess is that this had something to do with her - jealous boyfriend/ex/stalker/whatever.

What a tragedy for everyone involved. I think the parents of the murderer are just as bad off as the parents of the victims, if not more so.

Archived