The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Questions about UBC undergraduate admission

Canucks FTW!!!

Hi,

I have applied to UBC for general arts as my second choice, since my marks for commerce werent high enough. I have an 84% average for arts and have a strong personal profile to accompany it. Unfortunately I was waitlisted today,I was wondering how the waitlist hierarchy is organized. Is it through marks? or a combination of marks and personal profile. Has anyone here been waitlisted and got accepted later on? or is it basically for certain i'll need to look to my alternative options?

Thanks for the input and sorry for all the questions.

Honestly, if your end goal is Commerce at UBC. Don't go into UBC Arts. You will most certainly not get in through a transfer from Arts to Sauder. And you will waste a ton of money.

Look at your options. If you want to graduate from Sauder at the end of the day, look into Langara's business program. They literally prep you for a transfer into Sauder. So many of my friends did this and are in the BCom program with me at UBC.

Honestly, if your end goal is Commerce at UBC. Don't go into UBC Arts. You will most certainly not get in through a transfer from Arts to Sauder. And you will waste a ton of money.

Look at your options. If you want to graduate from Sauder at the end of the day, look into Langara's business program. They literally prep you for a transfer into Sauder. So many of my friends did this and are in the BCom program with me at UBC.

Is it actually hard to transfer from ubc arts to business even if you take the required courses?

Yeah, my fallback looks to be Langara's business and commerce studies program which is built to transfer. May I ask what your average needs to be/what your average was in order to transfer from langara to UBC bcom? I know you need the required credits too.

I'd start looking for other options tbh. Wasn't last year's cutoff for arts past 86 even with the personal profile combined?

jeez its getting more competitive

I got an acceptance with 84 and knew kids with less back in 08

anyways OP, if your goal is sauder, I would take the Langara route. The smaller jump will probably benefit you. Just make sure you keep your grades high from the get go though.

Standards have gone up since 2010 I guess. Tough luck kid, but it's just undergrad. Doesn't really matter where you go

Yes and no

More opportunity Definitely lies with students who go to a better school

After a year or two of work experience I bet it hardly matters for most occupations

Are averages higher because students are no longer required to write provincial exams?

Yes and no

More opportunity Definitely lies with students who go to a better school

After a year or two of work experience I bet it hardly matters for most occupations

Are averages higher because students are no longer required to write provincial exams?

No idea what's going on in high school nowadays. I'm a 2010 grad. That's the first I'm hearing about provincials.

In terms entrance requirements, the sfu website says mid 80s for pretty much every faculty so it's weird so many ppl are getting rejected.

I applied in 2011 after graduating Grade 12.

I had an 89% average, and had played for 2 school sport teams. I also played 3 sports outside of school, and had around 100 volunteer hours. I was waitlisted and never accepted.

Hopefully it works out better for you, but I would start to look at other options at this point.

I was accepted to SFU and UBC-O, and probably made the wrong choice by choosing to go to SFU.

I had an 89% average, and had played for 2 school sport teams. I also played 3 sports outside of school, and had around 100 volunteer hours. I was waitlisted and never accepted.

Hopefully it works out better for you, but I would start to look at other options at this point.

I was accepted to SFU and UBC-O, and probably made the wrong choice by choosing to go to SFU.

assuming you're still in school, why not just transfer? it's painfully easy to transfer into almost any school you want to (within reason, obviously). you aren't chained to anything

I had same average in 2010 with no extra curriculars (and even got the entrance scholarship) except a part time job and got into both sfu and ubc. Chose sfu out of convenience. It's starting to grow on me after 4 years.

Guess I applied a year before standards jumped through the roof. In fact the application never even asked about extracurriculars. Just cared about grades

why do you think that? lol

I felt the same way when I chose sfu

my parents weren't willing to pay for me living on res at ubc and my sister went to sfu before me so I went there. My experience their was terrible. Mostly due to external factors but I ended up leaving the place.

No idea what's going on in high school nowadays. I'm a 2010 grad. That's the first I'm hearing about provincials.

In terms entrance requirements, the sfu website says mid 80s for pretty much every faculty so it's weird so many ppl are getting rejected.

Provincial exams were made optional in 2011. I still wrote them (2011 grad), as there are some easily attainable scholarship incentives. Marks on the provincial hardly matter in BC anyway, as admission is granted on Term 2 grades (at UBC, anyway).

assuming you're still in school, why not just transfer? it's painfully easy to transfer into almost any school you want to (within reason, obviously). you aren't chained to anything

If only that were true. Looked into transferring after my 2nd year, it's amazing how many course credits are not transferable to other universities. At that point I had about 70 credits, UBC (and UBC-O by association) would have only taken just over half of them. Considering I was already half a year behind on my degree at the time due to inability to register in the courses I needed, it seemed like a bad idea to tack on another year just to make up the credits I lost.

why do you think that? lol

I felt the same way when I chose sfu

my parents weren't willing to pay for me living on res at ubc and my sister went to sfu before me so I went there. My experience their was terrible. Mostly due to external factors but I ended up leaving the place.

Theres no vibe to it to all, its depressing, and the Campus is disgusting.

Most of the profs are useless and most of my TAs can't speak English (but that sounds like its a problem most places apparently).

Courses that are needed for the same degree offered at the exact same time so you can only take half the courses you intended on taking.

Really the only thing that I like about it is I can drive up from home, but even then I would far prefer to be living out on Res somewhere. I even looked into living on Res up there just for the experience, but everyone I met that did said it was incredibly boring, which I totally believe, and it would be silly to waste money on Res when I can just drive from home anyways.

If only that were true. Looked into transferring after my 2nd year, it's amazing how many course credits are not transferable to other universities. At that point I had about 70 credits, UBC (and UBC-O by association) would have only taken just over half of them. Considering I was already half a year behind on my degree at the time due to inability to register in the courses I needed, it seemed like a bad idea to tack on another year just to make up the credits I lost.

Theres no vibe to it to all, its depressing, and the Campus is disgusting.

Most of the profs are useless and most of my TAs can't speak English (but that sounds like its a problem most places apparently).

Courses that are needed for the same degree offered at the exact same time so you can only take half the courses you intended on taking.

Really the only thing that I like about it is I can drive up from home, but even then I would far prefer to be living out on Res somewhere. I even looked into living on Res up there just for the experience, but everyone I met that did said it was incredibly boring, which I totally believe, and it would be silly to waste money on Res when I can just drive from home anyways.

Classes are always full which is bs, but I feel like there's a lot more to do on campus than when I first started. They have pub parties pretty much every week, Big concerts at the beginning or end of the semester, and they're hosting a party at the LED bar on Granville April 24th.

Hi,

I have applied to UBC for general arts as my second choice, since my marks for commerce werent high enough. I have an 84% average for arts and have a strong personal profile to accompany it. Unfortunately I was waitlisted today,I was wondering how the waitlist hierarchy is organized. Is it through marks? or a combination of marks and personal profile. Has anyone here been waitlisted and got accepted later on? or is it basically for certain i'll need to look to my alternative options?

Thanks for the input and sorry for all the questions.

If I were you, I'd probably try to do 1st year at a community college like Douglas or Kwantlen university to bring my mark up, then transfer from college to UBC or SFU. It seems getting higher mark in Kwantlen or Douglas is easier and you could then transfer into UBC easily (assuming if you have high marks). My friend took that route when he wanted to go to SFU and now he has graduated from SFU Science.

Provincial exams were made optional in 2011. I still wrote them (2011 grad), as there are some easily attainable scholarship incentives. Marks on the provincial hardly matter in BC anyway, as admission is granted on Term 2 grades (at UBC, anyway).

Optional provincial exams (eg math, physics, chem, bio 12 etc) were removed after 2011, cause it was a waste of time/money for them to set up these exams that few people were actually taking.

You still have to take the 5 required provincials (english, math, science 10, socials 11, english 12).

Archived