The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

ISS/CS Draft Rankings - 2014 NHL Entry Draft

motzaburger

.....Then there's Datsyuk.

He was a fluke, even the GM of the Red Wings admitted it himself.

Ken Holland even said that if they knew initially how good he was gonna turn out, they wouldn't have drafted him in the later rounds.

They are good at that.. they got Zetterberg in the 7th and Nyquist in the 5th I think

It would be very nice to draft Dal Colle, even though I see him moving into the top 4 this draft. If we did, a fair amount of our prospects could have potential chemistry if/when they make it to the NHL. This could help the transition from their junior teams easier.

Dal Colle & Cassels - Oshawa Generals (2012 - 2014)

Fox & Gaunce - Erie Otters (2013 - 2014)

Fox & Horvat - London Knights (2009 - 2011)

And here's a long shot, but we all know who else in currently playing for Erie

and is available in the 2015 draft.

Ritchie is already bigger than Pyatt. Pyatt is big but isn't really physical. From what I've seen, Ritchie is real physical. Pyatt has an inaccurate shot while Ritchie seems to find the sweet spots. Ritchie also has better vision. I don't know about skating since I haven't seen Pyatt play in a few years

I watched some Ritchie vids and he has good hands and uses his size well. I have a few concerns: he doesn't appear to have great speed and I'm concerned whether he will be able to drive to the net at will when he's playing against big NHL defenceman. But that's just an opinion based on a few videos.

I watched some Ritchie vids and he has good hands and uses his size well. I have a few concerns: he doesn't appear to have great speed and I'm concerned whether he will be able to drive to the net at will when he's playing against big NHL defenceman. But that's just an opinion based on a few videos.

He's already 230 lbs so he can dance with the best of em

He's already 230 lbs so he can dance with the best of em

this isnt sumo wrestling. if he is the real deal complete package then fine. but we cant sacrifice skill for size. ymthe object of the game ia still to score goals. not the ability to pick players up and throw them elsewhere.

this isnt sumo wrestling. if he is the real deal complete package then fine. but we cant sacrifice skill for size. ymthe object of the game ia still to score goals. not the ability to pick players up and throw them elsewhere.

If he scores by cutting to the net, size will help a lot and I was merely pointing out that he has the size to do so. He has the skill, he has a good shot and good vision

I think a lot of Canuck fans have very little patience with big young players.....it usually takes them into their early twenties before they start to blossom..Neely,Bertuzzi,Kassian ,Sandlack

It would be very nice to draft Dal Colle, even though I see him moving into the top 4 this draft. If we did, a fair amount of our prospects could have potential chemistry if/when they make it to the NHL. This could help the transition from their junior teams easier.

Dal Colle & Cassels - Oshawa Generals (2012 - 2014)

Fox & Gaunce - Erie Otters (2013 - 2014)

Fox & Horvat - London Knights (2009 - 2011)

And here's a long shot, but we all know who else in currently playing for Erie

and is available in the 2015 draft.

There is also another Oshawa General who is currently available this draft and playing with Cassels ;) #Smithinround2

I would be in favour of moving our 1st and 2nd to Calgary for fourth overall, snagging us either MDC or Draisitl.

The other alternative is moving our 1st and 2nd to Anaheim for their two firsts. Virtanen/Ritchie/Nylander/Ehlers/Perilini are all on a similar level. Our second pick moves up 8 spots where we might snag someone who has fallen at 27th, perhaps take PMD Anthony DeAngelo. ONLY if someone doesn't drop to our spot.

I would be interested in seeing how some of these rankings will change after the playoffs/combine. Some may perform well and some are done already. I’d like to see a top 5 move down a bit because of “fitness” or others outperforming those whom aren’t playing.

We will draft Bennett or Draisaitl

I truly think there will be an offer in place where EDM sends their 3rd Overall our way for something IF Ekblad is already drafted by FLA or BUF. Do you guys see this happening. Would we offer them our 6th in the package?

I would love to walk out of the draft with Bennett and Draisaitl/Ritchie/Colle/Virtanen.

Tell me what you guys think, thanks!

Edmonton either needs to trade up and draft Ekblad or trade that pick for a d-man.

As long as it isn't clamato.

Putting seafood in beer is just wrong.

you always manage to be right minister.

tomato juice in beer - somewhat redeemable, but clamato, gawd awful.

who are we going to get btw? (or who are you hoping is available at 6?)

I like those ISS rankings - by their logic Draisaitl could wind up a Canuck.

He'll need to shed 20lbs to keep up with NHL play, then rebuild his bulk with lean muscle to be a dominant force in the NHL. Right now he's clearly just bullying kids. He's no Getzlaf. He'll probably end up like Pyatt.

you always manage to be right minister.

tomato juice in beer - somewhat redeemable, but clamato, gawd awful.

who are we going to get btw? (or who are you hoping is available at 6?)

I like those ISS rankings - by their logic Draisaitl could wind up a Canuck.

It's a curse. ;)

I don't really hope for anyone. I just prefer to let it play out.

I think Nylander will be the best player outside of the top 5. I expect the Canucks to pick Ritchie if they keep their pick and I'm pretty good with that. I think he's impossible to pass on and the logical choice, my personal belief aside. Obviously I would take one of the top 5 if they drop.

What is with all of the Pyatt comments?

During his draft year Pyatt had 45 points less than his team's point leader. Pyatt was considered a guy who can "use his body" but was never really a nasty player. I could possibly see Perlini being a Pyatt but not Ritchie.

Also Taylor Pyatt was not a bust. In fact he would be considered a solid pick. His draft year was terrible and he has at least put together a lengthy NHL career.

In fact, only one other player picked after Pyatt in the first and second rounds have had more career goals (Havlat). Pyatt is fourth in goals out of the top 60 players picked after the Sedins and Havlat.

Most of the other power forward wingers drafted in the top 10 have turned out to valuable top line players (Nash, JVR, Horton, Ladd, Wheeler, Ryan, Voracek).

We don't have a guy who can be our 2nd line centre right now if Kesler gets moved. Horvat should probably be on the 3rd line to start his career.

Draisaitl probably fits the bill the best, Nylander is a little smaller and doesn't help us match up against the California teams as well.

Sedin-Sedin-_____

_____-Draisaitl-Kassian

Higgins-Matthias-Horvat

Richardson-Lain-Santorelli

Sestito

That is a very different looking forward roster and the return for the veteran pieces going out (or the ones that don't move) can fill in the blanks as well as beef up the defence and give us more prospects/picks.

Youth injection with a solid bunch of veterans to teach them how to play.... probably a lower end playoff team but on the upswing rather than downswing.

Why not a second line of Higgins / Kesler / Nylander?

Nylander is very near Santorelli's size, a whole lot faster and more skilled... It gives Nylander, a guy with great pucks skills, speed, serious grit and two likely 30 goal scorers off his play making.They could skate circles around some of the "big" California lines instead of trying to match size.

I know some guys want a size advantage, but between Kesler and Nylander, Higgins is nothing to sneeze at, there is that serious speed advantage. And we still have Mathias, Kassian, Horvat, hypothetically Santorelli and Booth, Hansen and BUrrows from which to craft an agitating defensive line with combinations of speed and size to take on big match ups defensively.

This kid Nick Magyar from the Kitchener Rangers seems like a good prospect to take in the 3rd round or later if he's still available.

He's 6'2 191 with great offensive skill, great hockey sense, and he uses his size effectively. He led the Rangers in points and its his first year in the league. (66 GP - 20 G - 26 A - 46 PT)
The 6’2, 191 pound native of Mentor Ohio was a first round pick, fourth overall of the Sioux City Musketeers of the USHL in 2012. He was selected by the Kitchener Rangers in the twelfth round, 239th overall, in the 2012 OHL Priority Selection.
During the 2012-2013 season Magyar played in 31 games for the Cleveland Barons U18 of the MWEHL where he scored 13 goals and added 21 assists before making the jump and playing 27 games for the Musketeers. He scored once and added five assists in those 27 games. He also played in four games for the U.S. National U17 Team where he went pointless.
On July 24, 2013 Magyar de-committed from attending Ohio State and signed an agreement with the Rangers. About his decision to commit to the Rangers, Magyar told the K-W Record just last month: "I stuck with my gut. I felt like this was the right place. I think it's the best decision I've ever made in hockey. I don't regret it one bit."
The right shooting Magyar can play both center and on the wing. He’s a big powerful forward who’s not afraid to use his size. He has strong hockey sense and very good vision. Magyar is very good at protecting the puck creating time and space for his teammates and combined with his vision he sets them up for scoring opportunities. He possesses a strong, heavy, accurate shot with a quick release.
The rookie sits comfortably in second in points for the Rangers having scored 15 goals and 24 assists in 56 games trailing only Justin Bailey. He sits fourth in points among Ontario Hockey League rookies in scoring.
We caught up with Mike Farwell, analyst for the Kitchener Rangers’ radio broadcast to talk about the Rangers draft prospects, beginning with Magyar.
OHLW: Can you tell us where his overall game is at this point in his development?
Farwell: He seems stronger now than when the season began. He’s more difficult to move off the puck. Nick has a nose for the net and if not for some bad luck and maybe a little first year skill that needs to be polished, he’d probably have 20 goals already (he has 16 as I write this). I like the way he thinks the game, more a scorer than a passer, but definitely someone with an above average offensive game. I wouldn’t call him flashy but I would call him consistent, reliable, and talented.
OHLW: With such a young squad in Kitchener, should it come as a surprise that he is second in scoring for Kitchener?
Farwell: No. You nailed it when talking about the young squad. He’s one of the strongest first year players.
OHLW: He's a strong puck possession player with very good vision which helps him set up teammates. But he also has a heavy, accurate shot with a quick release. Should he be a little more selfish with the opportunities he creates?
Farwell: I think he already is. As noted above, he’s more a shooter than a passer (in my opinion). As that shot develops and he gets a sense of where/when to use it best, you’ll see him threaten 30 goals in this league.
OHLW: He definitely does not shy away from the physical game, but could we expect more?
Farwell: I don’t think that’s his style. He’s not going to be a power forward in this league, he’s going to be a guy that produces points. As you say, he doesn’t shy away from the physical game and he makes himself difficult to play against. But don’t expect to see him in 5 fights every year.
OHLW: You get to spend some time with players off the ice at home and on the road. Can you tell us a bit about his character and Magyar the person?
Farwell: Polite, well-spoken, friendly, good teammate. I enjoy being around him.
OHLW: Players sometimes get a bad rap for de-committing from U.S. Schools to jump to the OHL and Magyar has been very firm in his belief that it was the best move for his development. Through 56 games, what is the biggest improvement you have noticed in his game?
Farwell: Again referring back to your original question, I think the biggest thing is his strength. He must be working hard off the ice because he is becoming a real master at protecting the puck on rushes, maintaining possession, and coming out of scrums with the puck as opposed to losing it. That’s what I’ve seen most.
OHLW: Magyar seems like a very coachable young player and with Kitchener going through somewhat of a rebuild stage it takes its toll on younger players. But it doesn't seem to be the case with Magyar. Fair assessment?
Farwell: Yes, fair assessment. I think this new coaching staff has done a great job managing these players in a trying season. The players are still eager to work and I’d argue the success of the coaching approach when you see the way the team has played in the late going. Instead of mailing it in as a lost season, some of their most inspired hockey has come during the final 15 games. Nick is a good example of a player that responds well to coaching, does what’s expected of him, and works hard.

http://www.intheoradio.com/imported-20111223013912/2014/3/2/nick-magyar-kitchener-rangers-nhl-draft-prospect-profile.html

Archived