The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If you were the new GM what would be the first order of business you took care of?

Canuckler87

I'd probably try to get my hands on Trotz before any other team steals him. Either fire Torts or have him as an assistant coach to Trotz. Buyout Booth. Try to move up the draft without selling the farm or move Edler and get another top 10 pick. I wouldn't mind having Draistal/Dal Colle + Ritchie/Virtanen taken in the top 10. With all the cap space saved, I would then chase down Stastny.

Interview and then hire the most experienced available GM candidates in the league.

I would make any hire accept the fact that Gilman would assistant GM for a minimum of one more year to allow a smoother transition.

New GM hires the next coach.

It is all about the draft so a new GM ASAP is crucial.

What would be your first major move? Fire Torts? Buy out Booth? Try to move up in the draft ? Target a RFA or UFA? Or make a major splash at either the draft, through trade or by free agency? Personally, I would try to move Edler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBxjNHtsb4w

I'd probably try to get my hands on Trotz before any other team steals him. Either fire Torts or have him as an assistant coach to Trotz. Buyout Booth. Try to move up the draft without selling the farm or move Edler and get another top 10 pick. I wouldn't mind having Draistal/Dal Colle + Ritchie/Virtanen taken in the top 10. With all the cap space saved, I would then chase down Stastny.

Right, and allow Trotz to coach his trap defense style of play to put the fans to sleep. There are FAR better options out there than Trotz.

Right, and allow Trotz to coach his trap defense style of play to put the fans to sleep. There are FAR better options out there than Trotz.

Yeah, thanks for naming all those options that are so much better. Well done.

What would be your first major move? Fire Torts? Buy out Booth? Try to move up in the draft ? Target a RFA or UFA? Or make a major splash at either the draft, through trade or by free agency? Personally, I would try to move Edler.

Buyout booth unless you have someone to take the cap space is a bad idea, he is a serviceable player if overpayed. If he continues his resurgence in the last month, then will be a great move.

Torts firing is first order of business.

Problem with an Edler move is that his value is very low.

I wonder if Tortz would be a good choice. If he could handle a team with offensive players. I think he could fix our defencive structure. Maybe resurgence of Edler.

First need to decide on the GM and the coach. The player assessment... this should really be done in conjunction with the new GM and the coach. So decide who the GM will be, then decide on the future of Torts. Then, make the player assessment together. Personally, Torts should be back. He now knows and understands the players well enough to give valuable input which can really help in deciding which players to keep and which players to let go.

Then, decide on the player to target for the draft, make a trade to move up if there is a player you really like or trade for another pick in the draft if there is another player that you like. Decide on the RFAs to qualify. Decide on the UFAs to go after to supplement the style of play that you wish to play.

I would first fire torts

secondly hire a new coach

thirdly talk to Kesler and find out where he is at. If he want so stay I would keep him if not then plan a trade strategy for Draft day.

Speak with staff/scouts and compile draft list.

Buy out booth.

speak with All of the players individually

form a strategy to trade one of our top four d. Preferably Edler or garrison. I believe one of these guys would accept a trade if it came down to being demoted to the 5th spot

Make a trade to bring back ehrhoff.

Compile ufa list in order of preference starting with a scoring forward like vanek. Overpay if I have to.

Archived