The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So I Got Bit by a Tick

nucklehead

We walk our dogs in the hills above our place east of Kamloops. Tonight I'm feeling my scalp and I find something. Not sure if it's just a blister or what I ask my wife to check it out. Sure enough, it's a tick! She pulls it off and puts in a vial (she's in veterinary so she's well familiar with ticks). She says we can get it tested, as long as it's alive. Just wondering if any ones been bitten and what your experience was. Not all of them are dangerous but I won't know till it's tested. I'm a little horrified and worried at this point. Wife is acting rather blasé about it all. Not sure if she's just trying to pacify me or if there's not that much to worry about.

aren't u not supposed to pull them off once they're on u cause their head breaks off and stays in u?

You just need to be very careful and steady with tweezers. The wife is a vet so she's probably done it many times.

Side note: A tick basically killed one of my dogs. I hope you fair better OP. :o

How interesting that it is such a big deal there. I grew up in an area surrounded by woods. I had more ticks on me as a kid than I can remember from playing outside. Lyme disease was the only concern but I never actually got sick from any of them.

I had one last summer but I went to the doctor to have it removed. It had clearly been on there for a couple days and the bite was super inflamed so they put me on antibiotics right away. They had the tick tested and it turned out to be the wrong kind for lyme disease. They never actually told me that 'til the next time I was in though so I ended up taking the whole 3 weeks of antibiotics for nothing. So I just wouldn't even worry until they find out if the tick is a carrier. You'll save yourself a huge headache.

Archived