The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So I Got Bit by a Tick

nucklehead

just because of this i'm wearing a hat from now on outside

I always wear a hat. The tick would have found it's way there. I even had a shower before going out so it was on me before that as it was the second time out today. The general instructions are to wear light colored clothing (makes them easier to see), tuck your pants inside your socks and use an insect repellant containing DEET to exposed skin including (carefully)around nose and mouth. Wash after returning and don't apply it to children as they may put their hands in their mouths. Also pregnant women should use a lower concentration.

I used to collect wood ticks east of Kamloops as a hobby, near where you speak of .. I would describe how to deal with a 'tick' that has penetrated your skin, except it is too late .. you ripped it out .. you should be fine if you are not suffering pains in your spinal or neck area .. anti-biotics should take care of any disease, unless you are immune due to overuse.

I used to collect wood ticks east of Kamloops as a hobby, near where you speak of .. I would describe how to deal with a 'tick' that has penetrated your skin, except it is too late .. you ripped it out .. you should be fine if you are not suffering pains in your spinal or neck area .. anti-biotics should take care of any disease, unless you are immune due to overuse.

This is something you generally dont tell people

I live in kamloops and last summer I was driving down the road and felt something bite my head it was stuck there and I was having a hard time pulling it off, I finally ripped it off my head and it fell on my lap, it was a damn tick. I almost crashed my truck lol. I then proceeded to park at the nearest store and pulled my lighter out and killed that SOB with fire.

I was also worried about lyme disease but I ended up being fine.

moral of the story is, apparently there are alot of ticks in kamloops.

How interesting that it is such a big deal there. I grew up in an area surrounded by woods. I had more ticks on me as a kid than I can remember from playing outside. Lyme disease was the only concern but I never actually got sick from any of them.

Me too. Hell i can remember my mom burning one out of me and Im fine. No lyme here.

"Wife is acting rather blasé about it all. Not sure if she's just trying to pacify me or if there's not that much to worry about. "

If you are well insured she doesn't have anything to worry about no matter the outcome.

We walk our dogs in the hills above our place east of Kamloops. Tonight I'm feeling my scalp and I find something. Not sure if it's just a blister or what I ask my wife to check it out. Sure enough, it's a tick! She pulls it off and puts in a vial (she's in veterinary so she's well familiar with ticks). She says we can get it tested, as long as it's alive. Just wondering if any ones been bitten and what your experience was. Not all of them are dangerous but I won't know till it's tested. I'm a little horrified and worried at this point. Wife is acting rather blasé about it all. Not sure if she's just trying to pacify me or if there's not that much to worry about.

When I was about 9 or 10 my sister used to tell me about her friend in summer camp that got bit by a tick. She had said that he didn't know he had one on his head until it got so huge and sucked all his blood dry(obviously she was being a brat)

Well anyways a few months or even a year or so later, I went up to Lillooet and was playing under some trees with three other kids. I didn't notice anything for a few days, but I was playing street hockey and I stopped to scratch my head and what do you know I got a good little lump there. Oh man I immediately freaked out thinking about my sisters story, I knew what it was right away. I ran home to my sister (who's 6 years older than me) and showed her as my parents were on vacation. I remember screaming "omg omg I got a tick in my head". So not knowing what to do she took me to a walk in clinic in Surrey. I met with an East Indian doctor who had absolutely no clue what it was or what to do. He was asking ME "what is this?". So we ended up leaving because the guy was a complete moron, went home and my sister had the bright idea to take a lighter, inches from my head and pull it with some tweesers. It worked but of course I ended up with a couple cm scar on my head. So when my parents came back they took me to another doctor and they checked me out did some blood work and was fine. None of the other kids got bit(lucky me)

Apparently the chance of any complications is really small so I'm sure you've got nothing to worry about. Me on the other hand ...well I'll always have this little scar haha.

When I was about 9 or 10 my sister used to tell me about her friend in summer camp that got bit by a tick. She had said that he didn't know he had one on his head until it got so huge and sucked all his blood dry(obviously she was being a brat)

Well anyways a few months or even a year or so later, I went up to Lillooet and was playing under some trees with three other kids. I didn't notice anything for a few days, but I was playing street hockey and I stopped to scratch my head and what do you know I got a good little lump there. Oh man I immediately freaked out thinking about my sisters story, I knew what it was right away. I ran home to my sister (who's 6 years older than me) and showed her as my parents were on vacation. I remember screaming "omg omg I got a tick in my head". So not knowing what to do she took me to a walk in clinic in Surrey. I met with an East Indian doctor who had absolutely no clue what it was or what to do. He was asking ME "what is this?". So we ended up leaving because the guy was a complete moron, went home and my sister had the bright idea to take a lighter, inches from my head and pull it with some tweesers. It worked but of course I ended up with a couple cm scar on my head. So when my parents came back they took me to another doctor and they checked me out did some blood work and was fine. None of the other kids got bit(lucky me)

Apparently the chance of any complications is really small so I'm sure you've got nothing to worry about. Me on the other hand ...well I'll always have this little scar haha.

what was the ethnicity of the second doctor?

Archived