The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

"Grown ups" at the hockey rink, another loser parent strikes again

Chalky

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/hockey-dad-terry-litt-charged-with-threatening-10-year-old-1.2612263

I really did think it was getting better, but with the last few incidents I have to wonder if the incidents are worse, but less common. A 57 year old threatening a 10 year old, what a cowardly a-hole. Perhaps Terry Litt and Martin Tremblay should compare their douche notes. Grade "A" losers.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/judge-jails-tripping-b-c-hockey-coach-for-15-days-1.1392318

Brutal. Parents need to learn to shut up and let their kids enjoy the experience of playing a sport. Gretzky, Crosby, Wickenheiser, Poulin...none of them grew up with their parents screaming and yelling at them or at their peers.

Playing hockey is supposed to be a beautiful experience and these parents are ruining it by letting their competitiveness and egos get in the way

When I was 12 I had a parent threaten to "beat the *poop*" out of me after I hit his kid (well I assume it was his kid) and broke his arm.

The other parents on his team actually had to make sure he didn't try to walk by the dressing rooms after the game.

Good times.

Unbelievable. Parents who expect to live their dreams through their children and in the process make things a nightmare for them. How embarrassing to be the child of a parent like this....lead by example in teaching sportsmanship. It's supposed to be fun...this doesn't support that.

My son got out of hockey because of an asshat like this. His son (a GREAT 10 year old player at the time) scored a hattrick in the first. As he skated to the bench, arms in the air with his teammates celebrating, his Dad was yelling at him about "one he missed"...(an open net where the goaltender had gone down).

Stood ON the bench behind the kids screaming.

Funny, years later his eldest son was involved in a scam and I connected the dots and realized this was the coach's other son. Nuts falling out of the nut tree.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/hockey-dad-terry-litt-charged-with-threatening-10-year-old-1.2612263

I really did think it was getting better, but with the last few incidents I have to wonder if the incidents are worse, but less common. A 57 year old threatening a 10 year old, what a cowardly a-hole. Perhaps Terry Litt and Martin Tremblay should compare their douche notes. Grade "A" losers.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/judge-jails-tripping-b-c-hockey-coach-for-15-days-1.1392318

They should give a restraining order so that 57 year old nimrod doesn't get anywhere close to that poor defenseless child. What is next on his agenda? threatening a toddler? new born baby for spilling milk?

Guest r0cknr0lla

Being a hockey mom, I have had my share of parents being unruly. In one game a mother from the opposing team didn't realize that I was the goalies mom. She was making terrible comments about my son who was lights out in net, saying, I'm going to take that kid to the parking lot teach him a thing or two." When she realized I was the mom she shoved me and said, "do I have your permission to beat the crap out of your son?" All I could do was give her a dirty look. I can see how sometimes parents get into physical altercations but I did NOT want to be one of them and have it aired in news later. I'm also a very non confrontational and don't know how to deal with brash people like this woman. I find every season there's always a parent or two that are like this.

Brutal. Parents need to learn to shut up and let their kids enjoy the experience of playing a sport. Gretzky, Crosby, Wickenheiser, Poulin...none of them grew up with their parents screaming and yelling at them or at their peers.

Playing hockey is supposed to be a beautiful experience and these parents are ruining it by letting their competitiveness and egos get in the way

Read Gretzky's autobiography. His childhood was a never ending string of insults and threats. Both from opposing parents and parents from his own team. Every single game he played, as a youth, had parents screaming at him.......it's a big part of why he left home to play Jr at such an early age.

On a related note, i was coaching a Midget AAA 10 years ago and we smoked Burnaby Winter Club in the B Final of a tournament.......their players were dirty and looking to hurt my players, so we used the "turn the other cheek" method. The players were so incensed that at the end of the game they stormed down the hallway to try and get in the dressing room, followed nby their coach, their manager and parent RAY FERRAO. All three adults were trying to get in our dressing room at our kids.

On a related note, i was coaching a Midget AAA 10 years ago and we smoked Burnaby Winter Club in the B Final of a tournament.......their players were dirty and looking to hurt my players, so we used the "turn the other cheek" method. The players were so incensed that at the end of the game they stormed down the hallway to try and get in the dressing room, followed nby their coach, their manager and parent RAY FERRAO. All three adults were trying to get in our dressing room at our kids.

Ferraro typified angry Dad syndrome, at least in his earlier years. Tried to steal my friends equipment at a summer hockey camp.

I'd like to look back at what Ferraro said about Torts entering, or at least trying to enter, the Flames' room.

Read Gretzky's autobiography. His childhood was a never ending string of insults and threats. Both from opposing parents and parents from his own team. Every single game he played, as a youth, had parents screaming at him.......it's a big part of why he left home to play Jr at such an early age.

And I'm willing to bet none of those screaming parents' kids turned out to be pros. I can't picture Walter yelling at Wayne or at anyone else. Kids don't succeed due to fear. They succeed due to passion. Unless it's an Andre Aggasi type of situation in which case yeah they succeed, but they act out in rebellion and grow up with a hatred for the parent who pushed them

Being a hockey mom, I have had my share of parents being unruly. In one game a mother from the opposing team didn't realize that I was the goalies mom. She was making terrible comments about my son who was lights out in net, saying, I'm going to take that kid to the parking lot teach him a thing or two." When she realized I was the mom she shoved me and said, "do I have your permission to beat the crap out of your son?" All I could do was give her a dirty look. I can see how sometimes parents get into physical altercations but I did NOT want to be one of them and have it aired in news later. I'm also a very non confrontational and don't know how to deal with brash people like this woman. I find every season there's always a parent or two that are like this.

You did exactly what you should have. If people are confrontational and end up in a confrontation in front of kids or even in the sphere of influence of hockey then the game suffers.

No wonder kids joining hky is going down...Kids just want to have fun.

There is just too much pressure and too many parents wanting their kid to win, be the next "it" player and not screw up. My parents for all 3 of us when it came to hky/sports always supported us no matter what happened even if we said we didn't want to play again

Everyone wants their kid to be the next Crosby. You'll know at a real young age if your kid actually has that potential. But if he doesn't then get off his ass and just relax because its only a game and they're just kids.

The worst is the parents who still want their kid to be Crosby long after it is obvious he can never make it. Riding the poor kid for not working hard enough when he just doesnt have it in him and making life decisions for him that put him on path to failure. Terrible.

Archived