The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks 2nd rounder 36th overall

Bobby_Lu1ngo

I dont know if I would take Aaron Irving at 36 overall, but if he was avaliable in the third round I'd take a chance on him

While his skills don't necessarily jump out on the ice, Irving does a lot of the little things correctly that make him an effective defenseman. He plays with a bit of an edge, protects his goaltender and can make crisp outlet passes.

Would be a safe and solid defensive defencemen.

Mayo has been more impressive than Irving IMO.

There are a number of other Dmen I would rather have than Irving. Like Brycen Martin.

How can you be so sure though? Boston drafted Khoklachev at #40 and they are actually very similar players, except HoSang is perhaps even more skilled.

Koko probably isn't the best or most shining example of success, but it does show that Boston (perhaps Benning) doesn't shy away from these kind of players.

I'm not a big fan of Ho-Sang either, but I like Pollock for our pick, inconsistent from what I understand, and has been very underwhelming in the Mem cup for me, but looks like he could be a good goal scorer in the NHL, with good playmaking ability who uses his size effectively, a good 2nd liner.

I'm not sure their attitudes are the same.

Personally, I feel Ho-Sang has made enough strides throughout the year to dispel some of those concerns. He showed the ability to be coachable and to lead his team when they were without a leader. He has also worked hard to improve his game from what it was last season.

As someone who values attitude higher than most, I do find Ho-Sang cocky, but i haven't heard it rubbing teammates the wrong way or any other issues this season. Ho-Sang is cocky in the same way Domi is; in many ways, it feeds into their game and helps them play the way they do.

I still think if he is there at 36, i would take him without hesitation. His ability to adapt showed that there is definitely more here and couple that with his skill, which is top 10-15, i think he would be a great pick, although with some risk (same risk as i see in Nylander TBH).

Justin Kirkland in Kelowna is a guy I'd like to see in the 2nd or 3rd rd.

Big guy, with some skill and one of the nicest kids in the draft.

He is ranked seemingly between our 2nd and 3rd. Not sure if i'd reach a tiny bit on him for our 2nd. But i'd be ecstatic if he's there at our 3rd.

Bleackley would be my #1 choice if he was available.

I'd be shocked if he was there, but if he is...RUN UP AND GET HIM BENNING!!!!

Pastrnak and Lemieux are the other two I hope slide to 36.

Jayce Hawryluk is the guy that I believe will be there that I'm zeroed in on.

Not saying take him in the 2nd. But speaking of D, Arvid Lundberg?

He's listed by NHL draft prospects as a C. But is a D. 19 years old but plays in the SHL. Eligible in 2013 but not selected. Ranked 63rd. Ceiling may be lower than younger prospects but should be close to bottom pairing or depth D level right away.

A smart two-way defenseman. Has good positioning on the ice and reads the play well. Good shot and pretty good puck moving ability. Reliable and can be used in most in all game situations.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=39021

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=152796

Not saying take him in the 2nd. But speaking of D, Arvid Lundberg?

He's listed by NHL draft prospects as a C. But is a D. 19 years old but plays in the SHL. Eligible in 2013 but not selected. Ranked 63rd. Ceiling may be lower than younger prospects but should be close to bottom pairing or depth D level right away.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=39021

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=152796

Nothing against him, seems like a solid pick.

But I think you'll see the Canucks taking a lot more Canadian talent at the draft.

The Bruins have 16 Canadians on their roster. Not sure if that's the most, but I bet it's close.

But I think you'll see the Canucks taking a lot more Canadian talent at the draft.

The Bruins have 16 Canadians on their roster. Not sure if that's the most, but I bet it's close.

Another reason this might be a continuing trend is the restructuring Gillis did with the scouting staff last year. The scouts are now focusing on WHL/Ontario/USA. Can't say i disagree, the OHL and NCAA are our strengths.

Suspect Honka gone?

Running mate at Swift Current Brycen Martin is ranked 26th among NA skaters. Also an effective offensive and puck moving D man.

More size, less nift.

Martin isn't as good as Honka, but I really hope we get him. I really like him. Very impressive in the prospects game.

Let's hope DeAngelo drops due to his attitude issues. Although I'm usually hesitant on that kind of player, at 36 he would be a major steal.

I'd probably pass honestly.

Brayden Point would be a steal here, or possibly Nick Schmaltz. Schmaltz has been passed up to around 30-35 in some mock drafts I've seen, his offensive game is excellent and looks like a definite 40-50 point guy and a 2nd line center with his skills.

Brayden Point being passed up in the draft because of his size, alot of players in the past have been and they are now NHL stars.

Wouldn't mind John Quenneville either he is a stud offensively with alot of weapons. Almost PPG with 58 in 61.

Here's a wicked stat about Brayden Point, only 7 more under 19 year olds in the CHL got more points than him!

Let's hope DeAngelo drops due to his attitude issues. Although I'm usually hesitant on that kind of player, at 36 he would be a major steal.

Yea I would pass. He got suspended twice for bullying a teammate. Benning ain't got no time for that.

Archived