The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks 2nd rounder 36th overall

Bobby_Lu1ngo

I wouldn't mind taking Vladislav Kamenev if he fell to 36th. I know he's Russian but he's done an interview saying he will come to NA to play in the CHL/AHL. http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=721117

Dammit Huberdeau! Was just going to post that! :P

Anyway, I agree with you. Kamenev seems like a prospect that really seems to want to come play in the NHL and wouldn't mind working his way up through the American league to do it. Seems like a real character guy and leads by example like it says i the article.

If he's available at 36th, there's a high chance I'd be disappointed if we don't pick him. Once he gets his contract sorted out with the KHL, it doesn't seem like there's too much of a risk with him bolting.

Then again he could just be saying these things to push up his stock.

If that is the case I think I pass on Pastrnak. Yes he has talent but these injuries are very iffy and there are so many other good players to draft, why take a risk?

I think the risk lies in the the uncertainty of how the injury has affected his play. Can he return to pre-injury form? The U18s are a small sample so something the scouts will have to assess and see if the injury is still lingering.

Reading the hockey news addition and it said it was a back injury. Partly due to the fact why he was not as good as peopel were expecting in the U18's tourney.

Pastrnak plays a very reckless style of game much like Taylor Hall. Where he just goes all out but ends up hurting himself in the process because he is playing that style of game where he will do just about anything to get the puck on his stick. He isn't the biggest player either at 6 ft and only 168lbs, he isn't the most sturdiest of players.

His skill you can't deny and if at the draft he falls to our plate in the second round, you can't pass up on it. However you will have to try and teach him to play a game that won't make him self destruct himself in the process.

All i've seen confirmed is an upper body injury. Yes, the injury may have affected his play in the U18s. Which as discussed above is the risk teams will have to assess - how much did the injury affect his play there and will it affect his play in the future. Rodin who was also reckless at times, suffered injuries that seemed to really hinder his play in NA; the similarities to me are not lost.

I think at #36, he makes a very good case to be picked. First round talent. I was just pointing out why he may have slipped on a few rankings and pointing out some other issues with his game.

Pastrnak is generally ranked in the 1st round. The reason why he is slipping a bit is not due to CHL players rising, its due to his season ending injury sustained in February. He got absolutely blown up and sustained a pretty bad upper body injury and i've heard rumours of a possible concussion. Then he comes back for the U18s and he simply did not look like the same player.

He was truly a frustrating player to watch at the tournament. He was reckless with the puck, so many turnovers. I'm not sure he is seeing the ice very well, so many shots blocked, passes intercepted. But he had some dangerous rushes and a few of those shots made it to the net. Poor performance, IMO.

Vrana has also been a very mixed bag. I don't think i was impressed by him even once in any viewing of him prior to the 2014 U18s. Didn't impress much in the SHL. Then exploded and surprised me at the U18s. Plays a very mature game, was dynamic off the wing, showed some great speed. Good understanding of the game. A stark contrast to what Pastrnak brought who was wild with his decisions with the puck. Was it just a few good games or is he wildly inconsistent? Its such a small sample size so its tough to tell.

Thanks for the insight DJ. Yeah I only seen Vrana at the U18s and was thinking how is this guy not top ten. He looked like a hell of a player from the small sample I got.

Interesting about Pastrnak, I wouldn't be too hurt if we took a chance on him but I think there may be other slips that could be steals as well.

I'm really hoping for sanheim. If he rises as quick as he did this year, he could look like he should have gone 20 picks higher by next year. More Canadians is always good

id take travis sanheim guy was a stud at the under 18s or dangelo who cares about his attitude hes young and dumb throw a contract his way and watch how fast he changes his way i played div 1 baseball and hated half my teamates cuz they were dicks but when it came time for games we all had the same goal. besides im sure sestito or juice can shape him up :towel:

I wouldn't mind Pastrnak or Jakub Vrana at 36th.

There is zero chance either are available, not a chance. Would be nice though!

Dammit Huberdeau! Was just going to post that! :P

Anyway, I agree with you. Kamenev seems like a prospect that really seems to want to come play in the NHL and wouldn't mind working his way up through the American league to do it. Seems like a real character guy and leads by example like it says i the article.

If he's available at 36th, there's a high chance I'd be disappointed if we don't pick him. Once he gets his contract sorted out with the KHL, it doesn't seem like there's too much of a risk with him bolting.

Then again he could just be saying these things to push up his stock.

Yea I posted about Vlad months ago, I would love him with our second pick, he received praise from Keenan as well, the guy has NHL size, NHL shot and was their U18 captain, he has first line talent I believe and the only reason he will be available is because he didnt play in the CHL.

Either way with our second pick we will draft a fallen 1st round gem, a solid D prospect, we are going to get a minimum of 2 solid prospects out if this draft guaranteed.

Kamanev would be a good pick, he's trying to terminate his contract to come play in NA next year already. That tells me enough, and if Keenan was saying good things about him, well Keenan doesn't like anybody does he?

Solid gamble in the second round for a team like us.

see him getting taken in the late first, don't see how he drops to 36 honestly

Goalies for the most part are always an uncertainty in the draft; partly due to a riskier development path and seasoned NHL goaltenders nowadays don't carry a terribly high value.

I can see him at 36 and i can see him taken in the top 20. In any case, i think he has the mentality and pedigree to become a very solid starter.

Goalies for the most part are always an uncertainty in the draft; partly due to a riskier development path and seasoned NHL goaltenders nowadays don't carry a terribly high value.

I can see him at 36 and i can see him taken in the top 20. In any case, i think he has the mentality and pedigree to become a very solid starter.

yeah thats fair. I think a team like SJ or Minny takes him in the late first. If not, the early 2nd before Van could see nyi, or florida (who may want someone to be mentored by lu) be highly interested in him

Yea I posted about Vlad months ago, I would love him with our second pick, he received praise from Keenan as well, the guy has NHL size, NHL shot and was their U18 captain, he has first line talent I believe and the only reason he will be available is because he didnt play in the CHL.

Either way with our second pick we will draft a fallen 1st round gem, a solid D prospect, we are going to get a minimum of 2 solid prospects out if this draft guaranteed.

Yeah, to be honest I wouldn't even mind trading our second round a few spots up just to ensure that we get Vlad. That "Russian Factor" doesn't really apply when he actually WANTS to play in the NHL and WANTS to get better instead of getting a boatload of cash.

This tells me that not only is this kid skilled and talented, he's got a good character and work ethic. Heck, if we acquire the 24th from Anaheim I wouldn't be disappointed with Kamenev at all.

Check out his first KHL goal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxaGUIFgxEg

What a beauty of a shot!

I'm big on Eric Cornel, Sanheim and Lemieux if he slips. I highly doubt Lemieux and Sanheim would make it to 36 though.

Agreed, I see Lemieux and Sanheim as great targets, for possible late first pick if we aquire one

Archived