The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks 2nd rounder 36th overall

Bobby_Lu1ngo

Any Kyle Clifford types in the 2nd round? Canucks could really use a guy with size and skill that can step in sooner than later in the Canucks bottom 6

Because Mallet worked out so well? You don't draft for immediate need, especially in the 2nd round

Because Mallet worked out so well? You don't draft for immediate need, especially in the 2nd round

Mallet was Gillis's draft pick and IT is about need. It's about getting players that can be impact players on the roster. Canucks desperately need a bottom 6 that can play tough minutes. Drafting a good power forward in the 2-3 round is a great way of adding size/skill to the bottom half. Those players won't be available in the later rounds of the draft or will be much harder to find. If Mallet ends up working out that will be great. You look at LA and it's bottom 6 of Perason, CLifford, King,Stoll etc. and those are tough match ups

Mallet was Gillis's draft pick and IT is about need. It's about getting players that can be impact players on the roster. Canucks desperately need a bottom 6 that can play tough minutes. Drafting a good power forward in the 2-3 round is a great way of adding size/skill to the bottom half. Those players won't be available in the later rounds of the draft or will be much harder to find. If Mallet ends up working out that will be great. You look at LA and it's bottom 6 of Perason, CLifford, King,Stoll etc. and those are tough match ups

2014 is already a weak draft with even the top prospects expecting to take time before becoming NHL regulars. You expect a 2nd or 3rd rounder to make the jump quicker than that?

Another good option. Brynas has had some real success with developing goaltenders and Vancouver clearly agrees..

Anders Linback, Jacob Markstom, Eddie Lack, Joacim Eriksson, Niklas Svedberg, Oscar Dansk....

Actually to be honest, Lack and Eriksson never played much in development for Brynas.

Both played less than 15 games for Brynas as Lack actually was primarily developed with Leksands IF for 3 seasons before spending a short tenure with Brynas, and Eriksson played briefly from Brynas before spending three seasons with Skelleftea

But nonetheless that system is churning out some quality goaltenders.

If Thatcher is available in the second round he wont get past the likes Panthers, Blues or Isles. Lemieux or Quenneville could be around then most likely not as I see the Flames and Blues taking them. I'd go Pollock, Lammikko for forwards or Glover, Ollas Mattsson on Defence

If Thatcher is available in the second round he wont get past the likes Panthers, Blues or Isles. Lemieux or Quenneville could be around then most likely not as I see the Flames and Blues taking them. I'd go Pollock, Lammikko for forwards or Glover, Ollas Mattsson on Defence

Lammiko and mattsson will go in the late 2nd early 3rd

Lammiko and mattsson will go in the late 2nd early 3rd

I agree I believe mattsson will go mid 2nd and Lammiko late 2nd early 3rd, but considering that on their teams they didn't have big roles this past year yet performed well and both will have bigger roles next, I think they should be in consideration. Unless the nux get another mid 2nd rounder. To me Ollas Mattsson is the most intriguing, hopefully he will be around for their 3 round pick but I doubt it.

I'm praying we take a RHD with the 36th pick. We are severely lacking in depth on the right handed shot

Jack Dougherty would be the best guy, he is a future top 4 two way defensemen, very reliable, physical, plays in any situation, and a very good shot. He could get faster and smarter with the puck but that'll help with development.

I don't think we need any more defensemens since our defensive core will be good for another 3-4 years and even then we'll have Hutton, Cederholm, Subban, Corrado all stepping in.

There is so much potential still up for grabs with a 2nd round pick this high in the draft. All these names being tossed around that are all legitimate possibilities is exciting because I would be happy with most if not all of them. Just hope Benning doesn't go off board to select a Mallet.

BRAYDEN POINT.

this guy will be a great NHL player, he's undersized but skill is phenomenal and plays bigger game. for not the lackluster size he would be a 1st round pick.

I agree, he'll drop like many players due to size, get picked up by a team and he'll turn out to a Zach Parise lite. He digs in corners, scores, and does everything except happen to be taller.

2 words for ya: Jack Dougherty.

...search him up folks.

He's alright but CGY or STL will take him before he reaches to us in the 2nd round.

Honestly, we don't need to draft anymore defensemens unless a future #1 defensemen drops to us which will not happen anytime soon. Subban, Cederholm, Hutton, Corrado are future bottom 4 defensemens for the our future, Dougherty doesn't really impress over any of them. Cederholm is our best defensive defensemen, Subban is our best offensive one, Hutton and Corrado are two-way studs.

Whoever it is, it better be a defenceman. I say take the best defencman on the board. No way we are using out first on a defencman and our defensive pool isn't so hot. I actually like the idea above of taking Jack Glover.

I agree, he'll drop like many players due to size, get picked up by a team and he'll turn out to a Zach Parise lite. He digs in corners, scores, and does everything except happen to be taller.

He's alright but CGY or STL will take him before he reaches to us in the 2nd round.

Honestly, we don't need to draft anymore defensemens unless a future #1 defensemen drops to us which will not happen anytime soon. Subban, Cederholm, Hutton, Corrado are future bottom 4 defensemens for the our future, Dougherty doesn't really impress over any of them. Cederholm is our best defensive defensemen, Subban is our best offensive one, Hutton and Corrado are two-way studs.

big reason why the Nux dont have a cup.

Guys like Keith and Weber were drafted in 2nd round and later.

We havent had a stud dman ever in this franchise. Look at previous cup winners who had players like Doughty, Keith, Chara, Lidstrom, Pronger

We need D in this sytem, the guys you mentioned are regarded as C prospects. They arent anything to hang our hats on.

Archived