The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks 2nd rounder 36th overall

Bobby_Lu1ngo

no thanks on Brendan Lemiux with our 2nd rnd. He has a ceiling of 3rd line pest, you dont draft those guys in the 2nd rnd.....2nd rnd still has a chance for a top 6 forward or a top 4 dman on the team.....

well there is no guarantee that anyone you draft will turn out. at least with Lemieux he has the pedigree (his dad) to undertand what it takes to make it in the NHL. And his ceiling isn't necessarily 3rd line pest.

I agree, he'll drop like many players due to size, get picked up by a team and he'll turn out to a Zach Parise lite. He digs in corners, scores, and does everything except happen to be taller.

I've been saying for a long time that we need a Rack somewhere in the bowels of Rogers Arena to stretch some of these kids!

There's nothing wrong with stretching rookies, unless you get caught doing it!!!

::D

I'd love to see the Canucks pick up a couple more picks in this draft.

Players I'd love to grab in the late 1st, and early 2nd are:

Kevin Fiala

Vladislav Kamenev

Brendan Lemieux

Jack Dougherty

Trent Hunter

No chance we get him unless we draft him with our 6th pick. He will go top 10 if not top 15 for sure!!!

big reason why the Nux dont have a cup.

Guys like Keith and Weber were drafted in 2nd round and later.

We havent had a stud dman ever in this franchise. Look at previous cup winners who had players like Doughty, Keith, Chara, Lidstrom, Pronger

We need D in this sytem, the guys you mentioned are regarded as C prospects. They arent anything to hang our hats on.

Dougherty isn't anything more than a C prospect so he just adds to the "Aren't anything to hang our hats on" group.

Who thought that those defensemens would be the great players they are today when they were 18?

Datsyuk was picked very late, Zetterberg, Vokoun, Yandle, Rinne, Moulson, Byfuglien, etc were picked late it just happens. I don't think Dougherty will be an all star but who knows? I think he is not in our needs.

I think we should grab a defenseman if possible. A lot of good franchise defenseman are picked later on in the rounds.

True. I think that is because defensemens show less "flash" when they are young. Alot of the defensemens in the late rounds are going to mostly have the defensive side of the game very good but it's their skating, offensive skills, physicality that keep them back from being 2 rounders+. Once they start getting older, stronger and improve on their skating with a skating coach they'll start to show some promise. It isn't easy to develop 3 categories of their game to the NHL level but that's how you build a defensemen.

A guy like Jacob Middleton is looking to go past the 3rd round and he has size, physicality, defensive skill but he lacks the offensive side and his skating needs some work aswell which is what keeps him low and if he develops that side he'll be a good defensemen.

That's why the Canucks have been picking defensemens after the 3rd/4th round.

True. I think that is because defensemens show less "flash" when they are young. Alot of the defensemens in the late rounds are going to mostly have the defensive side of the game very good but it's their skating, offensive skills, physicality that keep them back from being 2 rounders+. Once they start getting older, stronger and improve on their skating with a skating coach they'll start to show some promise. It isn't easy to develop 3 categories of their game to the NHL level but that's how you build a defensemen.

A guy like Jacob Middleton is looking to go past the 3rd round and he has size, physicality, defensive skill but he lacks the offensive side and his skating needs some work aswell which is what keeps him low and if he develops that side he'll be a good defensemen.

That's why the Canucks have been picking defensemens after the 3rd/4th round.

Middleton would be nice in the 3rd. Was on a bad team, and does need work on his skating but that is fixable.

big reason why the Nux dont have a cup.

Guys like Keith and Weber were drafted in 2nd round and later.

We havent had a stud dman ever in this franchise. Look at previous cup winners who had players like Doughty, Keith, Chara, Lidstrom, Pronger

We need D in this sytem, the guys you mentioned are regarded as C prospects. They arent anything to hang our hats on.

The Canuck first round pick, #2, Dale Tallon was a stud.

Here's a few players who dropped down CSS's rankings quite a bit from mid-term to final ranking:

North American:
Nikolay Goldobin - #24 (mid-rank: #14)
Brycen Martin - #26 (mid-rank: #20)
Roland McKeown - #27 (mid-rank: #15)
Conner Bleackley - #35 (mid-rank: #31)
Chase De Leo - #36 (mid-rank: #26)
Jack Glover - #38 (mid-rank: #27)

European:
Adrian Kempe - #6 (mid-rank: #3)
Anton Karlsson - #11 (mid-rank: #6)

We've shown a tendency to take sliders in the past, with the same scouting staff, but different G.M.

Glover has been slipping for quite a while, has not been impressive on the NTDP. His hype before the season started is keeping his stock afloat, as well as his physical tools. The big question is his hockey IQ and the fact that he seemed to have plateaued this year.

a very recent scouting report on him:

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2014-nhl-draft/2014/6/4/5764410/2014-nhl-draft-prospect-jack-glover-ntdp-minnesota

I'd love to see the Canucks pick up a couple more picks in this draft.

Players I'd love to grab in the late 1st, and early 2nd are:

Kevin Fiala

Vladislav Kamenev

Brendan Lemieux

Jack Dougherty

Trent Hunter

Trent Hunter? Haha, guy was drafted in the 90s we could probably get him for a 7th round pick if you really want him

I would look at any of the USHL kids. They have been underrated for not playing in the CHL. Scouts have a hard time assessing how good they actually are when the competition is unfamiliar. Dougherty and Glover look like solid 2 way defenders. I also like Lemieux and if he falls (doubtful) Travis Sanhiem.

Here's a few players who dropped down CSS's rankings quite a bit from mid-term to final ranking:

North American:

Nikolay Goldobin - #24 (mid-rank: #14)

Brycen Martin - #26 (mid-rank: #20)

Roland McKeown - #27 (mid-rank: #15)

Conner Bleackley - #35 (mid-rank: #31)

Chase De Leo - #36 (mid-rank: #26)

Jack Glover - #38 (mid-rank: #27)

European:

Adrian Kempe - #6 (mid-rank: #3)

Anton Karlsson - #11 (mid-rank: #6)

We've shown a tendency to take sliders in the past, with the same scouting staff, but different G.M.

Goldobin or Kempe would be awesome if they slipped that far. Goldobin put up pretty impressive numbers on a bad Sarnia team and Kempe I believe is one of the youngest players in the draft, has decent size and looks like an impressive sleeper.

I doubt Sanhiem is still around but if we get a late first he might be a guy to go after.

David Pastrnak would be interesting as well, lots of skill or Eric Cornel as a safe pick.

Thanks to watermelon for finding this out

Benning: We will take forwards with our first two round picks. #CanucksTownHallRichmond @blakeprice1040 @BradZiemer @RJHenderson7

Nav097 ‏@Nav097

Benning confirms he has had talks with Tallon about the 1st overall pick. Expects Tallon to make decision night before draft. #Canucks

2nd rounder is being narrowed down.

Which forward would be best who's in the ball park?

Archived