The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks 2nd rounder 36th overall

Bobby_Lu1ngo

1) Brendan Lemieux (Left Wing)

"Brendan Lemieux is a rising prospect for the 2014 NHL Entry Draft and he`s being considered a potential late first round selection. The son of former NHL antagonist Claude Lemieux, Brendan competes in a similar skilled yet gritty mold often getting under the skin of opponents." IMO he'd be a steal at 36th although some could argue that I'm sure, sources say he'd be a perfect fit in Colorado though and they'll take him in the 1st round.

2) Thatcher Demko (Goaltender) "The top ranked North American goaltender by NHL Central Scouting is Boston College’s Thatcher Demko. Hailing from sunny California, Demko has quickly become a goaltender to watch with his idealistic size, smooth mobility and flair for stepping up in big games." Also projected to be a 1st rounder or perhaps a very early pick in the 2nd round. If Brendan is unavailable/already picked Demko is my pick at 36th whether there's need or not for a goaltending prospect just due to his high potential and of course some shades of Cory Schneider which is a bonus I guess.

3) John Quenville (Center) " Quenneville uses his big frame and his strength effectively in protecting the puck and playing a physical game. Perhaps his best assets are his puck skills, his offensive acumen, and his work ethic. He has the skill to control the puck in the offensive zone, and distribute the puck quickly and effectively, and also boasts a good shot." Some would put him at number one out of my 3 that I chose but I even doubt he'll be available at this point and see him as most unlikely to drop to the 2nd round so I'm not really counting on it. Although if he's available at 36th it would be foolish to pass on him because I see him as player that's comparable to Jason Pominville of the Minnesota Wild.

Just my two cents :towel:

Corniel is my #1 choice for this pick, I think he has really high upside, he's a guy we could look back at a year from now and wonder why he didn't go higher (or why he didn't go in the 1st if falls just outside it).

After him, if he's gone, Brett Pollock is an interesting guy, I like him, he's very inconsistent, needs to be more physical, but could be a really good player down the road.

I also like Brendan Lemieux alot, he's a guy you win with.

Brayden Point is a heck of a player too, and Kamanev is intriguing aswell. Then there is always the goaltender Demko who appears to have a high ceiling.

I think there is also potential for someone like Nik Goldobin or Nick Schmaltz to fall, both options, if Goldobin falls he would be my #1, but if Schmaltz falls if would depend on if Corniel is still around.

But any of those guys I would be happy with.

Just stay the heck away from guys like Ho-Sang and Smith, I'm also not that intrigued by guys like Quennville, Glover, Dougherty and MacInnis.

Ho Sang is an interesting one for me. I think he's a sure fire NHL'r but I could see him as one of those trade demanding 21yr olds when he's put on the 3rd line.

If he's around at 36 it's a tough decision. He's 10 times the hockey player of anyone else ranked there and could actually be a first line star in the league... I think your basically taking the chance on will this kid wake up and realize the world doesn't revolve around josh. The payoff could be huge and he could be your best player some day. Do you take the chance on him or do you go for a another kid who will probably make it but as a third liner?

I don't get the love for Smith, he's another Alex Mallet

Many look at his imposing size at 6'6'' and they think hey he is big and must be good.

From readin the Hockey News he is a late bloomer, but scouts say it he reaches potential he will be a solid bottom six crasher suited perfectly for the Western Conference. But that being said thats a lot of gamble to have in the first couple of rounds.

1) Brendan Lemieux (Left Wing)

"Brendan Lemieux is a rising prospect for the 2014 NHL Entry Draft and he`s being considered a potential late first round selection. The son of former NHL antagonist Claude Lemieux, Brendan competes in a similar skilled yet gritty mold often getting under the skin of opponents." IMO he'd be a steal at 36th although some could argue that I'm sure, sources say he'd be a perfect fit in Colorado though and they'll take him in the 1st round.

2) Thatcher Demko (Goaltender) "The top ranked North American goaltender by NHL Central Scouting is Boston College’s Thatcher Demko. Hailing from sunny California, Demko has quickly become a goaltender to watch with his idealistic size, smooth mobility and flair for stepping up in big games." Also projected to be a 1st rounder or perhaps a very early pick in the 2nd round. If Brendan is unavailable/already picked Demko is my pick at 36th whether there's need or not for a goaltending prospect just due to his high potential and of course some shades of Cory Schneider which is a bonus I guess.

3) John Quenville (Center) " Quenneville uses his big frame and his strength effectively in protecting the puck and playing a physical game. Perhaps his best assets are his puck skills, his offensive acumen, and his work ethic. He has the skill to control the puck in the offensive zone, and distribute the puck quickly and effectively, and also boasts a good shot." Some would put him at number one out of my 3 that I chose but I even doubt he'll be available at this point and see him as most unlikely to drop to the 2nd round so I'm not really counting on it. Although if he's available at 36th it would be foolish to pass on him because I see him as player that's comparable to Jason Pominville of the Minnesota Wild.

Just my two cents :towel:

I'd be happy if any dropped and Canucks snagged one. All three will be solid NHL'rs

Many look at his imposing size at 6'6'' and they think hey he is big and must be good.

From readin the Hockey News he is a late bloomer, but scouts say it he reaches potential he will be a solid bottom six crasher suited perfectly for the Western Conference. But that being said thats a lot of gamble to have in the first couple of rounds.

Exactly, if he reaches his peak he may be a bottom 6 guy. thats not good value for a pick 6 selections from the first round. Plenty of guys with much higher potential will be available at that pick, and they all will have an extra year to develop compared to him since he's a 2nd time eligible.

Also, his draft eligible year was abysmal, much like Mallet's

I would take a flyer on Ho-Sang with this pick if he's still there. He's a kid that has all the skill to be a top 10 in this draft but has gotten a bad reputation.

Show him some good leadership and work to turn the attitude into desire to prove everyone who passed him over in the first round wrong and you might have a really good player.

The chance of guys in the second round becoming regular players in the NHL is around 30 - 35% range according to the TSN article LINK HERE.

You have a better chance of that happening with a kid that has the skill to get there. Attitudes can be fixed with the right mentoring and strong leadership!

Exactly, if he reaches his peak he may be a bottom 6 guy. thats not good value for a pick 6 selections from the first round. Plenty of guys with much higher potential will be available at that pick, and they all will have an extra year to develop compared to him since he's a 2nd time eligible.

Also, his draft eligible year was abysmal, much like Mallet's

If you read my post I thought Smith was a decent choice for 3rd round not second, I agree with a lot of the proposed selections for the second round, quite some time ago I was hoping for Sanheim with the second but I think he will go much earlier than that.

Ho Sang is an interesting one for me. I think he's a sure fire NHL'r but I could see him as one of those trade demanding 21yr olds when he's put on the 3rd line.

If he's around at 36 it's a tough decision. He's 10 times the hockey player of anyone else ranked there and could actually be a first line star in the league... I think your basically taking the chance on will this kid wake up and realize the world doesn't revolve around josh. The payoff could be huge and he could be your best player some day. Do you take the chance on him or do you go for a another kid who will probably make it but as a third liner?

I would take a flyer on Ho-Sang with this pick if he's still there. He's a kid that has all the skill to be a top 10 in this draft but has gotten a bad reputation.

Show him some good leadership and work to turn the attitude into desire to prove everyone who passed him over in the first round wrong and you might have a really good player.

The chance of guys in the second round becoming regular players in the NHL is around 30 - 35% range according to the TSN article LINK HERE.

You have a better chance of that happening with a kid that has the skill to get there. Attitudes can be fixed with the right mentoring and strong leadership!

I wouldn't take him till atleast our 3rd pick, skill or not his attitude is alarming, and he plays a individual game.

If you read my post I thought Smith was a decent choice for 3rd round not second, I agree with a lot of the proposed selections for the second round, quite some time ago I was hoping for Sanheim with the second but I think he will go much earlier than that.

I woiuldn't take him till atleast the 4th or 5th round. Not much upside there at all.

I wouldn't take him till atleast our 3rd pick, skill or not his attitude is alarming, and he plays a individual game.

I'm on the fence about it. I think if we end up with another first in the Kesler deal, I would mind taking the flyer on Ho Sang with our second.

I weigh it out pretty evenly when It comes to.. Will Ho Sang mature up/will another 2nd round pick even make a solid nhler. It's a crapshoot either way.

I disagree with not taking Ho-Sang.

He is one of the most offensively skilled players if he's there at the 3rd round I take him. You don't pass up that much skill.

I would possibly/probably take him at our 3rd, but not at our 2nd.

I'm on the fence about it. I think if we end up with another first in the Kesler deal, I would mind taking the flyer on Ho Sang with our second.

I weigh it out pretty evenly when It comes to.. Will Ho Sang mature up/will another 2nd round pick even make a solid nhler. It's a crapshoot either way.

I think with our 2nd rounder there is still a chance to get a very good player, Ho-Sang is just too risky for me, at #66 I would take him, but no sooner (unless we get a late second) I doubt he's available at our 3rd pick however.

Why aren't the later rounds today? Didn't last year's draft have all rounds on the same day? I could have sworn that it did.

It was a lockout year so they had round 1 to 7 on the same day, most of the time it's round 1 on Friday and the rest the next day.

We'll have the opportunity to draft one of: Barbashev, McKeown, Demko, Cornel, Lemieux, Point.

I doubt Barbashev falls any further since teams get together and organize their rankings again, I just don't see how Barbashev isn't #1 for every teams ranking right now. I like all of these players but I don't think we should take Demko or a defenceman.

Barbashev likely won't be there so I'm in favour of Cornel or Point. Should we trade our 36th + 3rd for the 31st overall for Barbashev if Buffalo accepts?

Archived