The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Amanda Todd bullying leads to arrest in Netherlands

J529

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/amanda-todd-bullying-leads-to-arrest-in-netherlands-1.2614034

A man has been arrested in the Netherlands in connection with the online bullying of Amanda Todd, the B.C. teen who killed herself in October 2012.

Officials at the Dutch Embassy have confirmed media reports that a 35-year-old man was taken into custody in January and made his first court appearance Wednesday.

An embassy official said the man is accused of being behind the harassment and bullying of a 15-year-old girl from B.C., but would not confirm the alleged victim was Todd.

The Dutch media organization Omroep Brabant published the news today and identified Todd as the victim in a story published Thursday.

The journalist who broke the story in the Netherlands, Mathijs Pennings, told CBC that he has confirmed the link to Amanda Todd from a "very reliable source."

He said that the arrested man is a Dutch national of Turkish descent and is accused of blackmailing numerous minors after recording their webcam videos. He is also alleged to have extorted older male victims for money.

His victims include individuals from Europe, the U.K. and Canada, Pennings said.

The man, who has not been identified, allegedly told the Canadian girl to undress in front of a webcam, which she did, and then he saved those images in order to blackmail her.

Carol Todd, Amanda's mother, told CBC that she was in shock at the news. She said RCMP told her there was an overseas development in the case two months ago but didn't want to comment further until she had the chance to speak to B.C. RCMP later today.

"There were multiple people in those chat rooms," she said. "So this would hopefully be the first layer of many layers that they could uncover."

What a joke.

I have no respect for people who have no respect for themselves. And of course all the social media sheep treat her like an angel since she's somewhat attractive though they know NOTHING about her. This man was rightfully arrested but the girl is getting attention that a lot of other sad cases don't. This is a pathetic world we live in.

What a joke.

I have no respect for people who have no respect for themselves. And of course all the social media sheep treat her like an angel since she's somewhat attractive though they know NOTHING about her. This man was rightfully arrested but the girl is getting attention that a lot of other sad cases don't. This is a pathetic world we live in.

She has no respect for herself because she took her clothes off? I bet you don't even know anything about this girl you are just saying oh she took her clothes off so I've no respect for her. I had no idea that taking your clothes off meant you had no self respect.

The world is pathetic because of people like you who judge others on their actions that go against what you believe and feel is right.

What a joke.

what is pathetic is that you are bitching about a girl who killed herself due to cyber bullying.

like it or not, the girl's case does help gathering attention about the whole cyber bullying issue. The issue here is cyber bullying, NOT whether we know teh victim enough or how attractive she is.

The fact you actually come to this thread and complain about the girl is the pathetic part

What a joke.

^ What a joke.

What a joke.

She needed help, not ridicule.

Sadly it's too late for that but hopefully her story can work towards helping other kids in similar situations and keep creeps like that Netherlands a-hole in their troll-caves where they belong.

Lol her fault for taking her clothes off IMO on a random chat room. What do teens expect from that ? To be loved and cared for through sexual and explicit pictures.

Sure deserved to be harassed to the point of suicide for taking her clothes off?

I'm sure you've never made ANY bad decisions...

Sure deserved to be harassed to the point of suicide for taking her clothes off?

I'm sure you've never made ANY bad decisions...

What's funny is that to this day I know too many girls who have their naked pictures out like it's some kind of award. Although she was just 15 she did make some terrible decisions before her suicide which I solely blame her for.

What's funny is that to this day I know too many girls who have their naked pictures out like it's some kind of award. Although she was just 15 she did make some terrible decisions before her suicide which I partly blame on her.

is this all you can see from this thread? a 15 year old girl taking off her cloths instead of the blackmailer doing illegal action and get arrested?

What a joke.

Lol her fault for taking her clothes off IMO on a random chat room. What do teens expect from that ? To be loved and cared for through sexual and explicit pictures.

Get down from your high horses, you don't even know who this girl is and what she went through.

Who are you to judge someone? Are you any better than anyone else? Just because someone makes a mistake does not give you entitlement to look down on others. You don't know who she is or her story on what she had to live with day in a day out.

I went to school with this girl, I didn't know her or her story, but no one on any level, no matter what their mistake is, no one should be harassed to a point of suicide.

Your comments are purely ignorant and totally disrespectful.

What's funny is that to this day I know too many girls who have their naked pictures out like it's some kind of award. Although she was just 15 she did make some terrible decisions before her suicide which I solely blame her for.

It's clearly poor decision making for anyone under 18 (and over 18 a lot of the time) to take your clothes off via video/pictures on the internet. That does not mean she deserved to be bullied, harassed and blackmailed to the point of killing herself.

What a joke.

Minus button, please.

Good news to see there's action being taken against people using the internet to bully, blackmail and otherwise harass people. While she has some responsibility in her actions, there's nothing to defend about a person who should know better and would use that and purposefully extort a 15 year old girl to the point of her taking her own life.

AllEyezOnMe is one of the worst posters on this site. Nothing he says even really shocks me anymore.

One of the guys who is just better off ignored.

Lol ahah I've made it! Jagermeister hates my posts and finally has the rocks to admit it. Truly made it on this forum AHHA as for Amanda my point stands, if all else failed she could have looked up thousands of other suicides/stories related to hers on the internet but chose to GIVE UP and take her damn clothes off to a complete stranger from another country.

It's clearly poor decision making for anyone under 18 (and over 18 a lot of the time) to take your clothes off via video/pictures on the internet. That does not mean she deserved to be bullied, harassed and blackmailed to the point of killing herself.

At the end of the day she was the victim and the bullying did cause this misfortune but IMO she was not forced to do what she did. Even 15 year olds know what is clearly wrong and what is right. She did not have parents that beat her, torture her or bully her. Average girl with all the basic necessities in life and this is what she does to end it all? Funny how she makes that video before she suicides looking for publicity in a way.

Thats not funny at all... Would it be funny if one was your sister? Future gf? All females should be respected and all minors should be protected. This mentality of 'well its her fault' is a sick view to carry around.

Archived