The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Amanda Todd bullying leads to arrest in Netherlands

J529

Yet again you're distorting my post for your own agenda. Let me make one thing clear, I don't deny the fact that this is a horrible crime and extortion is wrong. The accused had no right to do this, but openly sending someone private pictures opens the breeding grounds for someone to abuse. She was wrong by trusting the stranger when she gave the nude pictures. Im sure she didn't think the person behind the screen would be a psychopath..

I see, well when you respond to a post and say this:

IMO sees in the wrong just as the accused.

That's the impression that I get.

I see, well when you respond to a post and say this:

That's the impression that I get.

Yet again you're distorting my post for your own agenda. Let me make one thing clear, I don't deny the fact that this is a horrible crime and extortion is wrong. The accused had no right to do this, but openly sending someone private pictures opens the breeding grounds for someone to abuse. She was wrong by trusting the stranger when she gave the nude pictures. Im sure she didn't think the person behind the screen would be a psychopath..

Didn't I basically say the exact same thing in my rebuttal post?

Also I dont take any words back. All I want to say is I have my opinions and you have yours end of story. Whether you support them our not thats your provocative, however Im free to express how I feel regarding the issue. Personal attacks get you nowhere in debates. I tired my best to reframe from accusations.

I doubt they would extradite him here because he didn't physically commit the crime in Canada. The European justice system is a joke anyway.. He will most likely spend his life living in a lavish jail (man does that sound weird).

Wiki: "the Dutch incarceration philosophy stresses the need to minimize the hardships on the prisoner. This philosophy emphasizes maximizing prisoner contacts with family and the preservation of community ties. Prisoners are able to enjoy many of the benefits of life on the outside. For example, inmates can receive visitors once a week, talk on the phone, and participate in sports.Rehabilitative measures, however, such as the procurement of education to prisoners, have been severely curtailed in recent years"

So he will get a nice jail cell and not be rehabilitated. Sounds lovely.

Wiki: "the Dutch incarceration philosophy stresses the need to minimize the hardships on the prisoner. This philosophy emphasizes maximizing prisoner contacts with family and the preservation of community ties. Prisoners are able to enjoy many of the benefits of life on the outside. For example, inmates can receive visitors once a week, talk on the phone, and participate in sports.Rehabilitative measures, however, such as the procurement of education to prisoners, have been severely curtailed in recent years"

So he will get a nice jail cell and not be rehabilitated. Sounds lovely.

Funny that prisons like that have lower rates of recidivism, no?

Lel. Can't wait to go up to someone and call them disgusting filth online.

Btw, bullying is bad and RIP Amanda Todd.

Well, if we're going to insult each other face to face now... how many times are you going to justify one of your insane opinions by using words like SJW, white knight, and Kony 2012?

We get it. You go on Reddit. And you like to have edgy opinions.

A girl died. Yes, she screwed up and shouldn't have flashed on camera when she was 15. But if you don't think her case is an opportunity to talk about cyber bullying, maybe I don't think any rape cases where the girl did something to put herself in danger are worth talking about either?

Oh wait. I don't think that. Because I'm not a moron and edgy Redditors don't form my opinions.

what is pathetic is that you are bitching about a girl who killed herself due to cyber bullying.

like it or not, the girl's case does help gathering attention about the whole cyber bullying issue. The issue here is cyber bullying, NOT whether we know teh victim enough or how attractive she is.

The fact you actually come to this thread and complain about the girl is the pathetic part

Ok thanks for clarifying that poster cause I didn't even get where he was coming from. All I can say is "Wow". What's scarier is he got bunch of one ups...wtf. People, stop and think once in a while.

CDC Internet Tough Guys at it again.You people (you know who you are) would never, and I mean never say these things in public or to her parents. Never. You don't have the guts.Even if you think it's her fault, show some damn respect.

what is pathetic is that you are bitching about a girl who killed herself due to cyber bullying.

like it or not, the girl's case does help gathering attention about the whole cyber bullying issue. The issue here is cyber bullying, NOT whether we know teh victim enough or how attractive she is.

The fact you actually come to this thread and complain about the girl is the pathetic part

I've stopped caring about Amanda Todd and her horde of supporters a long time ago.

She got access to help multiple times over the course of her tumultuous times, parents are a joke who didn't think of monitoring her online activity given the amount of hate she apparently received... all while she willingly put on cam shows with her friends and took part in infidelity. Of course, the last video she made was littered with lies and all meant to seek validation through attention. Now that she's dead, she's some martyr.

The access of help available her is at the very least a luxury to some at risk groups here in the mainland

To me, she's an attention seeking LG suffering from parental neglect. It's good that they got someone responsible for harassing her but let's not paint her as an angel in the process.

Move on, there's many more that suffer silently without needing to resort to social network pity. Help them out instead.

I also hate to point this out: but suicide is just what it sounds like - someone taking their own lives. Do logic a favor and try not to make it seem like the bullies were murderers (I certainly get the vibe here).

I agree with all these.

We get it. You are trying to bring awareness to bullying

and then the first thing you say is "there are a lot of disgusting filth here".

How high is your horse at this point? And you're bringing together unconnected things as if it adds to your pathetically delusional point. Reddit has nothing to do with this.

I enjoy irony and hypocrisy too much to ask you to shut up. Keep going

EDIT: add in some more personal shots in there to make your point even stronger. Anti bullying awareness after all. What a joke

:lol: +1. Both of them examplified what I encountered earlier in my debate. Hypocrisy and random filler points.

Are you guys jealous or something? Seems a possibility as you are missing one of the aspects of the Amanda Todd case that I take issue with - jealousy and potential copy cats due to the amount of attention she has received.

In spite of this variable - the increased "awareness" - yes, I went there - also causes people to take these cases more seriously. (I read about a girl on ask.fm who actually made fake threats and bullied herself in order to get attention. The fact we know this is because it was looked into. Still turned out better than the person she was emulating.)

You guys make inflammatory, insensitive and unproductive comments and are all-too-eager to engage in a little spat with the people you have dragged into the mud. Put the ego away. Societies response to this incident has been largely positive and though nothing is perfect the advantages outweigh any "annoyance" based negatives you are espousing.

I think that starts with not resorting to calling people names because you don't agree with them and you can say that for any issue. The comic factor obviously is that this is done by people who are talking about how this raises awareness to bullying.

I know and I actually didn't mind your original post in this thread - but the ease at which you slip into mud-slinging makes it seem like you're just here to troll the topic. You're better than that!

The mud was slung at me bro, for pointing out a logical fallacy

I'm not sure the logic holds up - being called a moron on an anonymous website =/= this Amanda Todd case. Nor do the self-esteems of a post-secondary honors student in a long term relationship and a young teen with a dubious support network.

IE Calling someone out for negative comments (even with insults - which isn't technically even bullying unless it is sustained and targeted over a period of time) does not make them a hypocrite if they're trying to defend this case.

Are you guys jealous or something? Seems a possibility as you are missing one of the aspects of the Amanda Todd case that I take issue with - jealousy and potential copy cats due to the amount of attention she has received.

In spite of this variable - the increased "awareness" - yes, I went there - also causes people to take these cases more seriously. (I read about a girl on ask.fm who actually made fake threats and bullied herself in order to get attention. The fact we know this is because it was looked into. Still turned out better than the person she was emulating.)

You guys make inflammatory, insensitive and unproductive comments and are all-too-eager to engage in a little spat with the people you have dragged into the mud. Put the ego away. Societies response to this incident has been largely positive and though nothing is perfect the advantages outweigh any "annoyance" based negatives you are espousing.

I think most users on here have nothing to gain or lose when posting their comments.. We already know the users that like to stir the pot.. But then there is the select few that refuse open dialogue and discussion because it goes against their personal beliefs. Then they have the nerve to use bully tactics like personal attacks or absurd accusations. Which makes their credibility towards the subject nil.

I think most users on here have nothing to gain or lose when posting their comments.. We already know the users that like to stir the pot.. But then there is the select few that refuse open dialogue and discussion because it goes against their personal beliefs. Then they have the nerve to use bully tactics like personal attacks or absurd accusations. Which makes their credibility towards the subject nil.

Again, I disagree - the nature of this situation and your comments illicit an emotional and therefore irrational response. All the same, I find such reactions more honest and heartening than a callous approach. Someone telling you to shut up and have some decency is akin to someone telling Amanda Todd to keep her damn shirt on - something she may well have benefitted from. Now, if one were to track you down, threaten, extort and hound you for weeks on end about this situation - that would be a similar experience - and one I certainly would not condone.

Archived