The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[BOXING]Related discussion here!

Angry Goose

Let's get a good discussion group going!

So any predictions for tomorrow night's fight (April 19) featuring Bernard Hopkins vs. Beibut Shumenov? Personally, I'm looking forward to Shawn Porter vs. Paulie Malignaggi as I've been following Porter since he was early pro, and has come along way since his successful amateur career. Hope he can pull off the win because Malignaggi can bring it, since he pretty much humiliated Zab Judah in Brooklyn.

Edited by SILLY GOOSE

Porter beats Malignaggi easy. The guy has the punching power of a 3 year old.

Bernard Hopkins... I don't know if its just his passion or he's going broke, but he needs to retire already damn it, the guy is almost 50 years old lol.

Im looking forward to Cotto v Martinez, see how Mayweather does with Maidana and im looking forward to seeing how 40 yr old Marquez does against Alvarado.

Liking that someone finally made a thread on this.

Looking forward to May 3rd.

Floyd hasn't faced someone with the punching power of Maidana for a while.

I too am looking forward to May 3rd.. Although mayweather's most likely going to beat maidana convincingly, I'll still give maidana a chance because of his power but speed is the most important thing in beating mayweather and mayweather knows that because he chose maidana over khan

Boxing is going down the drain. Mayweather and Pacman are the only reason it's still afloat.

It has lost alot of steam, and to a degree I think pro boxing could learn a thing or two from the UFC by setting up the fights fans want to see (although Mayweather is holding it down in this regard).

Some younger and awesome prospects are coming up like Gary Russel Jr. He is a very entertaining fighter to watch.

Bernard Hopkins... I don't know if its just his passion or he's going broke, but he needs to retire already damn it, the guy is almost 50 years old lol.

Im looking forward to Cotto v Martinez, see how Mayweather does with Maidana and im looking forward to seeing how 40 yr old Marquez does against Alvarado.

I really hope Porter beats Malignaggi. Going to be a close fight.

Liking that someone finally made a thread on this.

Looking forward to May 3rd.

Floyd hasn't faced someone with the punching power of Maidana for a while.

Yeah, Maidana is exactly the type of fighter that could give Floyd problems given that he hits hard, presses forward and is in superb shape. Although I thought Canelo might give him problems too and Mayweather just broke him down. I predict a slow start, Maidana presses well in the mid rounds but after Mayweather makes his adjustments he wins by a good margin.

I too am looking forward to May 3rd.. Although mayweather's most likely going to beat maidana convincingly, I'll still give maidana a chance because of his power but speed is the most important thing in beating mayweather and mayweather knows that because he chose maidana over khan

agreed, although I have no idea why Khan is in the conversation for a fight with Mayweather. He should do what Floyd asked and fight Broner first, and if he beats him take on May.

He is almost 50 years old and still a world champion, with only one loss since 2008 (which one could argue that he beat Calzaghe)...and he is fighting for two more belts tonight.

And I suspect he's gonna want another piece of Dawson after this if he wins! I though the perfect time for him to retire though would have been after beating Pascal and breaking Foreman's record. I don't think he's broke, he is part owner of Golden Boy.

What he has done and what he is doing is actually remarkable but the most important thing is B-Hop should himself know when to retire and not make this mistake of fighting for too long and regretting the last fight or few fights like many others have, even some of the greats.

But the man is a legend in the game.

Edited by DarthNinja

Bernard Hopkins becomes the oldest person in history to win a world championship, defend a world championship and unify the title.

He has a chance to become the oldest undisputed champion in history if he fights the winner of Stevenson-Fonfara and wins!

A true legend in the game!

• Upvote 1

my boy porter! Been watching him since the beginning! Leaping left hook man!

Yeah which is strange because I've watched alot of Porter's sparring videos and he is usually never that aggressive

I've only been able to see the highlights and read about the fight but I'm surprised Porter was able to win in 4 rounds. Not like Paulie Malignaggi is a total slouch.

I'd like to see a Porter vs Broner fight sometime in the future

Yeah which is strange because I've watched alot of Porter's sparring videos and he is usually never that aggressive

I've only been able to see the highlights and read about the fight but I'm surprised Porter was able to win in 4 rounds. Not like Paulie Malignaggi is a total slouch.

Malinaggi is a slick boxer but Porter was very aggressive and just too quick. I think he won the jab-war and then goaded Paulie to stand with his back on the ropes and trade with him and Paulie does not have the power for that.

But what surprised me most was how quickly and easily Porter was able to land the left.

I wouldn't want to see porter vs broner, I think that Porter would win it easily. Broner is flat footed, he's not smart in the ring, no power(in 147) Idk why he compares himself to Floyd, if he couldn't see Maidanas punches he wouldn't be able to see porters, and broner now is challenging pacquiao he said he'll fight him in any weight which is beyond retarded to me, cuz he hasn't earned anything to fight PAC and I believe it would destroy his career pacs way faster and stronger than him

Malinaggi is a slick boxer but Porter was very aggressive and just too quick. I think he won the jab-war and then goaded Paulie to stand with his back on the ropes and trade with him and Paulie does not have the power for that.

But what surprised me most was how quickly and easily Porter was able to land the left.

Totally. Malinaggi is essentially an outside fighter and he let Porter close the gap way too easily, and couldn't back Porter off him.

I wouldn't want to see porter vs broner, I think that Porter would win it easily. Broner is flat footed, he's not smart in the ring, no power(in 147) Idk why he compares himself to Floyd, if he couldn't see Maidanas punches he wouldn't be able to see porters, and broner now is challenging pacquiao he said he'll fight him in any weight which is beyond retarded to me, cuz he hasn't earned anything to fight PAC and I believe it would destroy his career pacs way faster and stronger than him

Yeah I read that too- Broner always the cocky entertainer. Still, I think he is slick boxer but has a ways to go.

In my opinion it's simply business acumen and showmanship. Broner hopes Pacman hears him calling him out and agrees to set a date. Broner would make more money off one fight with Pacman (if it were to happen) than he would probably make in his next five or maybe even 10 fights against almost anyone else other than Floyd.