The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[BOXING]Related discussion here!

Angry Goose

Good luck fan....

On March 20, former world heavyweight champion Roy Jones Jr. will step into a boxing ring in Phoenix and start trading punches with a fan.

If the fan beats Jones, he can take home $100,000.

That might sound insane to many people. But tough guys who believe they are the biggest, baddest man around will see this as a great chance to earn good money.

Either way, the boxing match, sponsored by UR Fight, is very real. The event is part of a program featuring legends from boxing, MMA and pro wrestling in a pay-per-view broadcast.

Jones, 47, is the only competitor who will be fighting a fan. If you have the right stuff — or just have nothing to lose — you can submit a 90-second video to the "Fight Roy Jones Jr. Contest" explaining why, in the words of UR Fight, "you're worthy of getting in the ring with a legend."

Before you rush out to film that video, here's what Jones has to say.

"Why in the world would someone sign up to get in front of me and do what I do? I don't know," he says in a video posted on the URshow.tv website. "A hundred thousand dollars is at stake if you can put me on my back for the count. It's not going to happen, but you can try."

Jones had a 62-9 mark as a professional, with 45 knockouts, and he won titles in several different divisions, including heavyweight.

On February 13, 2016 at 11:36 PM, RRypien37 said:

I think that's a bit of exaggeration. Khan is no slouch and I doubt he retires at 29.  

He had initially planned to retire within the next two years, but now that's apparently scrapped.

As for the fight..Khan has hand speed and footwork. But I think he lacks power and will have his glass jaw shattered by Canelo. (Or broken neck ex: Garcia)

31 minutes ago, LuckyLuciano said:

As for the fight..Khan has hand speed and footwork. But I think he lacks power and will have his glass jaw shattered by Canelo. (Or broken neck ex: Garcia)

One thing I keep hearing is that Amir is a welterweight at best, while Canelo is definitely a middleweight fighter.  The fight is set at 155 (Caneloweight as they call it haha).  I think Amir is going to be drastically undersized for this fight.  And people thought Cotto looked small versus Canelo.......

4 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

One thing I keep hearing is that Amir is a welterweight at best, while Canelo is definitely a middleweight fighter.  The fight is set at 155 (Caneloweight as they call it haha).  I think Amir is going to be drastically undersized for this fight.  And people thought Cotto looked small versus Canelo.......

No doubt Canelo is the bigger, stronger fighter. I just don't think it will be completely one sided. 

On February 13, 2016 at 11:23 PM, ShakyWalton said:

Good luck fan....

On March 20, former world heavyweight champion Roy Jones Jr. will step into a boxing ring in Phoenix and start trading punches with a fan.

If the fan beats Jones, he can take home $100,000.

That might sound insane to many people. But tough guys who believe they are the biggest, baddest man around will see this as a great chance to earn good money.

Either way, the boxing match, sponsored by UR Fight, is very real. The event is part of a program featuring legends from boxing, MMA and pro wrestling in a pay-per-view broadcast.

Jones, 47, is the only competitor who will be fighting a fan. If you have the right stuff — or just have nothing to lose — you can submit a 90-second video to the "Fight Roy Jones Jr. Contest" explaining why, in the words of UR Fight, "you're worthy of getting in the ring with a legend."

Before you rush out to film that video, here's what Jones has to say.

"Why in the world would someone sign up to get in front of me and do what I do? I don't know," he says in a video posted on the URshow.tv website. "A hundred thousand dollars is at stake if you can put me on my back for the count. It's not going to happen, but you can try."

Jones had a 62-9 mark as a professional, with 45 knockouts, and he won titles in several different divisions, including heavyweight.

Jones at 47 still fighting, did a past manager take a wack of his money? At one time the best pound for pound guy but that was 20 years ago.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

No doubt Canelo is the bigger, stronger fighter. I just don't think it will be completely one sided. 

Yeah, a one sided fight wouldn't even look good on Canelo since everyone thought GGG would be is next opponent.  Khan better have his evasion dialed in for this one- Canelo going to try and walk him down the entire fight.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2016-02-19 at 9:29 AM, LuckyLuciano said:

Lol read that this morning, what an idiot.

I'm sure he dosen't need the Nike sponsorship money,but no matter how many laws are passed or acceptance's made as we move into more of openminded world,you will never change a person's opinion's.And for the record he is entitled to those,without any reasons or explanations.

Edited by fagin

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2016 at 9:33 PM, fagin said:

I'm sure he dosen't need the Nike sponsorship money,but no matter how many laws are passed or acceptance's made as we move into more of openminded world,you will never change a person's opinion's.And for the record he is entitled to those,without any reasons or explanations.

sure people can be bigots if they want to, but that doesn't make those beliefs right.  

1 hour ago, LuckyLuciano said:

Andre Ward fight tonight

forgot about this.  he's been away for quite awhile.  do you know if it is an HBO fight?

2 hours ago, LuckyLuciano said:

^^didnt get a chance to watch it, just know their was a knockdown in third but it didn't end the fight

Luckily it was on HBO so I got to watch it.  

Ward is a fantastic boxer.  You hardly get to see him much anymore but he is by far one of the sharpest boxers I've watched in awhile.  There were some great shots from below the ring that really showed just how well he feints and reacts quickly.  

I would say the first half of the fight was really exciting, withe the last 6 rounds being good all things considered.  Barrera was the bigger guy and you could see he was looking to land some heavy shots but Ward's D was awesome.  Overall I was impressed with Ward's mix of defense and aggressive counter punching being the smaller fighter as well.

IMO he is the most entertaining boxer to watch right now.  Him and Kovalev is going to be a fantastic fight.  Kovalev has true KO power but Ward's technical ability is a treat to see too.

Edited by SILLY GOOSE

On March 31, 2016 at 0:33 PM, SILLY GOOSE said:

Broner/Theophane tomorrow.  If no one has watched Gervonta Davis I highly recommend checking him out on the undercard.  

Tuned in during the 6th round of the Broner fight and got to see him call out Mayweather. I did end up recording the event so I'll have to go back and look for Gervonta Davis.

What a fight display by Pacquiao against a really tough fighter in Bradley and coming away with a unanimous decision involving two knockdowns for the Pac-man showing him to be back to possibly his best in years.Although he claims it was his last fight,his trainer would like him to take on Canelo and then a rematch with Mayweather.I guess we will see.

Edited by fagin