The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[BOXING]Related discussion here!

Angry Goose

I've only watched the highlights but wow.  Looks like Porter tried to muck it up like he did with Broner.  Some of those heavy shots he took.......I have no doubts about Porter's chin after this fight.    Guy must be feeling the hurt today.  

The kind words Thurman had for Porter and his desire to be a true champ really earned my respect.  He is a very well rounded boxer

3 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

I've only watched the highlights but wow.  Looks like Porter tried to muck it up like he did with Broner.  Some of those heavy shots he took.......I have no doubts about Porter's chin after this fight.    Guy must be feeling the hurt today.  

The kind words Thurman had for Porter and his desire to be a true champ really earned my respect.  He is a very well rounded boxer

Highly recommend you watch it! Great fught from start to finish!

On 6/26/2016 at 1:30 PM, LuckyLuciano said:

Highly recommend you watch it! Great fught from start to finish!

Yeah just finished watching.  Those guys came prepared- can't believe what it would be like to keep that pace through 12 a round fight.  And there are those who thought Thurman was out of shape just before the fight.......

• 2 weeks later...

Alvarez/Brook - thoughts opinions?

Crawford fight soon, and I'm hyped Rigondeaux will finally be fighting soon.  

Looks like Broner/Paquiao isn't going to happen which is too bad, could have been a very entertaining match up.

Looking forward to Kovalev/Ward in the fall!

Edited by SILLY GOOSE

• 1 month later...

I never saw Ward when he was amazing, only his last two fights and based on what ive seen i think Kovalev will beat him. 

Pacquiao is fighting Vargas?? Never heard of Jessie Vargas

Golovkin v Brook so be a cake walk

Canelo v Smith --his management just been protecting him

I'm going to be in NYC for about a week end of October and have my fingers crossed. Really hoping for Erroll Smith to do a quick turn around after Bundu and fight so I can see a live fight or even Miguel Cotto. 

On 8/18/2016 at 0:17 PM, LuckyLuciano said:

I never saw Ward when he was amazing, only his last two fights and based on what ive seen i think Kovalev will beat him. 

Pacquiao is fighting Vargas?? Never heard of Jessie Vargas

Golovkin v Brook so be a cake walk

Canelo v Smith --his management just been protecting him

I'm going to be in NYC for about a week end of October and have my fingers crossed. Really hoping for Erroll Smith to do a quick turn around after Bundu and fight so I can see a live fight or even Miguel Cotto. 

Yeah I'm pretty disappointed with the recent match ups. 

Only thing I am semi looking forward to see is Wilder vs Fury if that ever finally happens. 

Hopefully management gets their $&!# together between GGG and Canelo, although I still think GGG would win decisively. 

On Saturday, August 20, 2016 at 1:21 PM, RRypien37 said:

Yeah I'm pretty disappointed with the recent match ups. 

Only thing I am semi looking forward to see is Wilder vs Fury if that ever finally happens. 

Hopefully management gets their $&!# together between GGG and Canelo, although I still think GGG would win decisively. 

Wilders a beast! Wasn't he out for surgery though after his last fight?

On 8/18/2016 at 0:17 PM, LuckyLuciano said:

He is, but if someone can overcome his massive physical attributes I think he could go down.  His defense isn't fantastic or anything.  I remember watching this video back in the day while he was an amateur (also check out David Clark for the US- I really loved his style as an amateur but that RUS opponent was pretty fantastic too)

• 2 weeks later...

@ShakyWalton @RRypien37 did you guys get a chance to watch GGG/Brook?  Lot of people seemed unimpressed with GGG's performance but after watching the fight I still think he is not going to be easily beaten by anybody anytime soon.  Kind of reminds me of Paquiao when he was in his prime- not the slickest boxer but he is a hunter with hands of stone.  You could tell Brook was only going to withstand so many punches because each punch GGG landed seemed to hurt Brook.  I think you can definitely say it was an uneven matchup but even natural middleweights are not going to easily take GGG's power.

38 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

@ShakyWalton @RRypien37 did you guys get a chance to watch GGG/Brook?  Lot of people seemed unimpressed with GGG's performance but after watching the fight I still think he is not going to be easily beaten by anybody anytime soon.  Kind of reminds me of Paquiao when he was in his prime- not the slickest boxer but he is a hunter with hands of stone.  You could tell Brook was only going to withstand so many punches because each punch GGG landed seemed to hurt Brook.  I think you can definitely say it was an uneven matchup but even natural middleweights are not going to easily take GGG's power.

Was quite surprised at how flustered and under attack GGG was at the beginning. Kind of reminded me of the first fight between Maidana vs Mayweather were Chino came in guns blazing and really surprised Money. 

Tables turned quickly though. GGG's power is undeniable. His defensive side is not as impressive. 

Edited by RRypien37

1 minute ago, RRypien37 said:

Was quite surprised at how flustered at under attack GGG was at the beginning. Kind of reminded me of the first fight between Maidana vs Mayweather were Chino came in guns blazing and really surprised Money. 

Tables turned quickly though, GGG's power is undeniable. His defensive side is not as impressive though. 

Yeah, it will be interesting to see if someone can expose that, but I even wonder how easy it would be to hurt GGG.  Maybe someone can out point him but he seems like he won't be an easy guy to break down

3 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

missed it...Khazakstan is really spitting out good fighters...the Olympics showed a few up and comers.

On 9/14/2016 at 0:36 PM, riffraff said:

I've been out of following the sweet science since the late nineties and this fight has got me back in.

Nice dude, other than @ShakyWalton and @RRypien37 we've got a pretty small crowd here.  Seems like some really good fights are lined up for this year too!  

Finished the Chocolatito Cuadras fight.  Had a nice old school Ward/Gatti kinda vibe to it.  Chocolatito on the constant attack but I really liked Cuadras counter punching and movement.  Too bad there had to be a loser in this one

15 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Nice dude, other than @ShakyWalton and @RRypien37 we've got a pretty small crowd here.  Seems like some really good fights are lined up for this year too!  

Finished the Chocolatito Cuadras fight.  Had a nice old school Ward/Gatti kinda vibe to it.  Chocolatito on the constant attack but I really liked Cuadras counter punching and movement.  Too bad there had to be a loser in this one

Ah man you're speaking my language.  Great comparison.

i dunno what it was but when Gatti was finished and subsequently mysteriously died I kinda lost track of boxing.  I don't know if it was a conscious thing.  He was one of if not my fav.

there was something about Gatti I really appreciated, even though obviously I never knew him personally.  But I sure respected his fighting and his heart and the way he carried himself around the sport. Gatti ward Gatti Vargas Gatti Robinson.....man some fantastic fights.

the Cuadras choco fight was so great because it was such a display of the combination of natural talent and heart.  I had choco as the winner by three or so rounds although I think Cuadras was 2-3 rounds away from possibly taking complete control.

back in the day we used to go to what was (not sure if still is) the Bosman hotel lounge and watch the fights.  Used to live downtown/west end back then and my crew at the time were fight fans, ex amateur boxers and one fellas went pro around that time.  Good times. Low key drinking establishment where everybody could really cut loose and get into cheering their fighter.

43 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Ah man you're speaking my language.  Great comparison.

i dunno what it was but when Gatti was finished and subsequently mysteriously died I kinda lost track of boxing.  I don't know if it was a conscious thing.  He was one of if not my fav.

there was something about Gatti I really appreciated, even though obviously I never knew him personally.  But I sure respected his fighting and his heart and the way he carried himself around the sport. Gatti ward Gatti Vargas Gatti Robinson.....man some fantastic fights.

the Cuadras choco fight was so great because it was such a display of the combination of natural talent and heart.  I had choco as the winner by three or so rounds although I think Cuadras was 2-3 rounds away from possibly taking complete control.

back in the day we used to go to what was (not sure if still is) the Bosman hotel lounge and watch the fights.  Used to live downtown/west end back then and my crew at the time were fight fans, ex amateur boxers and one fellas went pro around that time.  Good times. Low key drinking establishment where everybody could really cut loose and get into cheering their fighter.

I think Choco is a stablemate of GGG?  If so I'm not surprised because the dude is relentless.  Tough tough fight for Cuadras.  Unless you can hurt the guy or get him to punch himself out, what can you do?  He just keeps going....

Gatti was a warrior.  I was too young in the 80's/90's to appreciate boxing but I like to go back and watch the classic fights.  James Toney is probably my favorite in terms of style and entertainment in/outside of the ring.  

Premier Boxing Champions seems to be re-capturing the spirit of boxing again which is great and on TV too.