The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[BOXING]Related discussion here!

Angry Goose

On 2/23/2020 at 9:46 PM, Down by the River said:

Pretty much the status quo for any prize fighter is to keep them from fighting the top competition. They make so much money even against lesser opponents. Its not like the UFC where a few losses doesn't mean much on a fighter's record. For boxers, 2-3 losses really marks the end of their reign. 

That would change though if they actually did start fighting higher caliber competition on a regular basis. The fans want to see the best fighting the best, and in the long run are more discerning than the promoters give us credit for.

7 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Would love to see a Mayweather v Pacquiao 2 happen.   

Now? Why? That fight is only relevant 10 years ago. Even when they fought in 2015 both were already pasted their prime. 

1 hour ago, RRypien37 said:

Now? Why? That fight is only relevant 10 years ago. Even when they fought in 2015 both were already pasted their prime. 

Everyone is hyped on Pacquiao's recent fights, and Floyd seems itchy to get back in.  Age wise, I don't want to see either fight anyone younger.  Plus the Pacquiao excuse makers would get a second chance given their rivalry

Edited by SILLY GOOSE

On 4/28/2020 at 6:49 PM, SILLY GOOSE said:

Everyone is hyped on Pacquiao's recent fights, and Floyd seems itchy to get back in.  Age wise, I don't want to see either fight anyone younger.  Plus the Pacquiao excuse makers would get a second chance given their rivalry

Would be another snore fest. @RRypien37is right the fight was only relevant many years ago. Floyd has always been too precious about his '0' losses.

6 hours ago, Fan since 82 said:

Would be another snore fest. @RRypien37is right the fight was only relevant many years ago. Floyd has always been too precious about his '0' losses.

Nah, there's enough left in the tank there for both fighters for it to be an interesting fight, unless Floyd wips Pacquiao's butt again.  

18 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Nah, there's enough left in the tank there for both fighters for it to be an interesting fight, unless Floyd wips Pacquiao's butt again.  

when did this happen? 

that fight was a sparring borefest with Froid running away from a 1 armed Pacquiao. 

1 hour ago, Trebreh said:

when did this happen? 

that fight was a sparring borefest with Froid running away from a 1 armed Pacquiao. 

One arm is an excuse. Floyd dominated Pacquiao and Manny is a sore loser.

Point of boxing is to hit and not get hit.  You want a brawl, go watch Ward v Gatti

29 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

One arm is an excuse. Floyd dominated Pacquiao and Manny is a sore loser.

Point of boxing is to hit and not get hit.  You want a brawl, go watch Ward v Gatti

there is literally medical proof of his rotator cuff surgery, if you don't believe that then you're in denial. Manny a sore loser? that's the first time i've heard that... ever. 

https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/12837213/manny-pacquiao-undergoes-surgery-torn-right-rotator-cuff

Nevada also denied Pac for a numbing cream to freeze his injured shoulder.

Froid got caught with a banned IV fluid before the fight and knew about Pac's rotator cuff injury and still wouldn't trade with him. 

https://www.si.com/boxing/2015/09/09/floyd-mayweather-illegal-iv-injection-manny-pacquiao

Even with all that, it was a draw AT BEST. Other HOF boxers like Holyfield and Tyson didn't think Mayweather won. Floid never 'whipped' Pacquaio in that fight, in fact it was the opposite. the injured smaller Pac was chasing a healthy bigger Mayweather around the ring. 

don't even get me started with the compubox, it was rigged and was debunked already. Pac landed more shots that he was credited for. 

anyways... he's retired and hasn't been relevant since he paid a flyweight japanese kickboxer to take a dive in a joke exhibition 'fight' in Japan...

meanwhile, Pac at 41 has a belt defeating an undefeated Thurman, and now has Crawford as a potential fight next (according to Arum). 

2 hours ago, Trebreh said:

there is literally medical proof of his rotator cuff surgery, if you don't believe that then you're in denial. Manny a sore loser? that's the first time i've heard that... ever. 

https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/12837213/manny-pacquiao-undergoes-surgery-torn-right-rotator-cuff

Nevada also denied Pac for a numbing cream to freeze his injured shoulder.

Froid got caught with a banned IV fluid before the fight and knew about Pac's rotator cuff injury and still wouldn't trade with him. 

https://www.si.com/boxing/2015/09/09/floyd-mayweather-illegal-iv-injection-manny-pacquiao

Even with all that, it was a draw AT BEST. Other HOF boxers like Holyfield and Tyson didn't think Mayweather won. Floid never 'whipped' Pacquaio in that fight, in fact it was the opposite. the injured smaller Pac was chasing a healthy bigger Mayweather around the ring. 

don't even get me started with the compubox, it was rigged and was debunked already. Pac landed more shots that he was credited for. 

anyways... he's retired and hasn't been relevant since he paid a flyweight japanese kickboxer to take a dive in a joke exhibition 'fight' in Japan...

meanwhile, Pac at 41 has a belt defeating an undefeated Thurman, and now has Crawford as a potential fight next (according to Arum). 

Manny's own fault for not disclosing an injury.  Can't make any excuses for him.  

Floyd won fairly easily from what I remember.  I'll re watch it.

Like I said, would love to see a rematch and what happens.

Edited by SILLY GOOSE

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed watching the Duran doc recently being shown on tv.  I am sure it's old but man boxing was a different beast in the late 70's and 80's.  I hope they make a doc on the 'four kings' of boxing in the 80's, hint hint ESPN.

• 2 months later...

Hope Teofimo drops the vastly overrated Lomochenko.

Oscar throws Ryan Garcia to the wolves after Garcia disrespects him in the media. Luke Campbell will be a nice test for the kid. 

Fat man Gervontais Davis and Leo Santa Cruz match will be interesting. I like both guys, but Tank not as much as I used too, so I hope Santa Cruz humbles em. 

• 2 months later...
On 7/25/2020 at 4:27 PM, HI5 said:

Hope Teofimo drops the vastly overrated Lomochenko.

Oscar throws Ryan Garcia to the wolves after Garcia disrespects him in the media. Luke Campbell will be a nice test for the kid. 

Fat man Gervontais Davis and Leo Santa Cruz match will be interesting. I like both guys, but Tank not as much as I used too, so I hope Santa Cruz humbles em. 

24hr to go. 

Why do you feel Loma is overrated?

4 hours ago, Down by the River said:

24hr to go. 

Why do you feel Loma is overrated?

i like Loma's skill set but i kinda agree.. he needs to be tested some more. his resume isn't great and some are calling him a p4p king and an ATG like has Pac and Mays resumes. 

a dominant performance against Lopez would be a great answer to the critics and would justify the praise, but as of right now i think he's a little overrated. 

Can we stop calling Loma a p4p "king" now. the guy faced his first real test and got dominated.

Andre Ward and Bradley are Top Rank cheerleaders. 

Ward's card 114/114 LMAO!!

What a performance by Lopez! I've never seen a multiple belt holder champion get dominated like that. Loma got walked, countered, bullied in that ring..

hopefully this humbles the Loma fans who think he's better than Mayweather and Pacquiao lol.