The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Am I the only one who doesn't mind Booth?

Goat James

In all the "if I were a GM" threads one option is always "buyout Booth". I really don't understand why: it's not like we're gonna be spending to the cap, so we don't NEED the four million. He's just got one more year left, so he'll be gone after this season anyways.

I don't even think that he's that bad a player either, I mean, he's not worth the $4.5 million they're paying him at the moment, but the same thing can be said for almost all other Canucks (Burrows, Sedins, Edler, Garrison, etc). He goes out there and gives it all, he checks and shoots a lot.

I'd say that we keep Booth for another year and then re-sign him to a much cheaper contract, I like the guy.

Nope, I love him. Always have. I wasn't satisfied with his play previously, though. While he played better recently, he still wasn't really playing to his $4.25M cap hit, but at least he was playing better.

9 points in his last 24 games. He had just 10 points in the previous 42 games, so it was definitely an improvement, though not as much of one as I would prefer.

I also love his off-ice demeanor. Always an upbeat guy and he works his butt off.

Nope, I love him. Always have. I wasn't satisfied with his play previously, though. While he played better recently, he still wasn't really playing to his $4.25M salary, but at least he was playing better.

$4.5 million salary.

$4.75 million this coming season.

http://www.capgeek.com/player/813

Imagine that you pay the players from your pocket and you spent $10.5m for Booth and Burrows this last season?

http://www.capgeek.com/player/662

Are you kidding hes a bum buy him out frees 4.25 mill in space thats enough cap space to pay ( horvat, lack, jensen, corrado, and kenins) combined salaries. Having five young players on entry level contracts frees up a ton of cap space which could be used to sign an elite scoring winger like (vanek, jagr, iginla) we need to get younger get rid of shitty cntracts like booths. Trade hansen and edler as well i want a young hard working team instead of lazy no shows that we had on team last yr.

I hated having him for the past three years, I'm beyond that now. Especially if he can fast forward a rebuild. It wasn't so long ago that we were called the 'comeback kids' just as the Avs are now. I miss that feeling.

we were never what the avs are now.

Ok, Booth is playing significantly better in the last few weeks. I would hate to buy him out.

But wouldn't it be better if we use that same money to resign our other players and potentially sign some offensive help?

I've been on the fence on Booth ever since he came here. But now I'm starting to lean towards the buyout side only if we don't trade Edler and maybe Hansen too.

Trading away Edler will free more cap space then trading Booth.

We have 9.9 mill cap space next yr on cap geek assuming jensen and zalewski make team if not its 11.5 in space plus buy out booth and trade hansen Wed have 18.25 mill to (resign kassian and tanev plus a 8th depth dman, one wingers for kesler one winger for sedins and keep horvat and kenins on team)

Sedin sedin free agent

Free agent kesler kassian

Higgins horvat burrows

Kenins richardson mattias

Sestito

Hamhuis bieska

Garrison tanev

Edler corrado

Stanton free agent

Lack

Markstrom

Plenty of space 11.5 mill to sign 2 top six wingers and a 8th depth dman

He brings something an element our team doesn't have, he drives the net, creates chances and makes something out of nothing.

I've been saying it for a while and I personally wouldn't buy him out.

He's not a "bum" nor is he a terrible player he just doesn't fit with the makeup of this team. I think he's a solid third liner that can play on the second line in case of injuries. Even so, this team doesn't need any more third liners we need two solid top 6 players and that will be hard to get if we pay Booth as much as we do.

He's not a "bum" nor is he a terrible player he just doesn't fit with the makeup of this team. I think he's a solid third liner that can play on the second line in case of injuries. Even so, this team doesn't need any more third liners we need two solid top 6 players and that will be hard to get if we pay Booth as much as we do.

I agree with this team having too many 3rd liners, but it's not like we're pushing for the cup next season. I wouldn't be surprised if we fail to sign any UFA this summer(not many great ones anyways).

Yes a player getting paid second line money scoring 20-30 points is a fail so yes he is a bum vastly underacheiving his contract value. Kassian on the other hand earns his wage and will get a decent raise hopefully we can lock him up 3 or 4 yrs at say 3 mill a yr in 2 yrs he will be a steal at 3 mill meanwhile Eberle and nugent hopkins make 6 mill per what a joke

if he were 2M cheaper than people would be singing a different tune. i wasn't expecting anything when he came here and, in hindsight, didn't expect gillis to do anything with the 4.5M to sign someone else. he at least contributed something to the team in some stretches, rather than being a complete waste of 4.5M. can't even pin that one on gillis entirely. **** happens and boothie didn't pan out how the fans hoped he would

I'll take any player who will commit entirely to be better. Booth has done that in order to secure a brighter future than what was to come otherwise. Tortorella's patience showed. The skating coach showed. His AHL stint showed. Booth certainly doesn't merrit his salary at this time. However, a great year and everyone forgets about it. Here's to next year.

Big body who worked very well with Kassian post-Olympics and the BOOTH - RICHARDSON - KASSIAN 3rd line became the go-to line on more nights than none. I like his enthusiasm, I like his determination to getting better after having been run by a train back in Florida and hitting his head on the ice like seldom seen.

The Canucks should have kept Mitchell. But alas, Gillis the player agent didn't want to risk a player's life. Malholtra also plays in Carolina.

Things change. Booth is a product of change and rejuvination and Tortorella afforded him the time to become the player he was. I say the buyout is not worth the intangibles Booth brings for one last contract year.

Average Booth at $2.000MIL/yr is a fine deal. By next end of season, a rejuvinated, repaired and producing Booth at his current salary might be a bargain.

$4.75m for a player that tallied 19 points.

Just like many players,Booth should have a stellar year this coming season as he is playing for a contract.

I like Booth and would lock him up early for 2 whatever over the next few years but he is thinking 3.5-4 and his play this season will dictate that salary.

Archived