The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mobilicity Agrees to be Sold to Telus

I searched and didn't see it posted.

Mobilicity says it has agreed to be purchased by Telus Corp. (TSX:T) for $350 million.

Mobilicity says the proposed sale is subject to approval by the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, the Competition Bureau, Industry Canada, and Mobilicity's debtholders.

Telus has twice tried to buy struggling Mobilicity, but both times the deal was rejected by Industry Canada.

"We will not approve spectrum-transfer requests that decrease competition in our wireless sector," Jake Enwright, a spokesman for Industry Minister James Moore, said Friday.

This time, however, Mobilicity says it believes the deal will satisfy the federal agency's criteria and will not affect competition in the Canadian wireless sector.

Mobilicity has been operating under creditor protection since September 2013.

The company has been seeking a buy and had contacted 25 organizations about submitting bids. Five bids were received by the Dec. 16, 2013 extended deadline and only the Telus bid was deemed acceptable

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/mobilicity-agrees-to-be-sold-to-telus-1.2614838

I wonder what will happen to Mobilicity's rates...

I hate when companies do this, but if Telus customers (me) get extra cell towers from this transaction then I wouldn't complain.

Mobilicity uses Telus' cell towers.

Mobilicity isn't that rich of a company to own towers. This is the problem with our wireless environment. The big three have a monopoly and the smaller companies have no way to compete.

Seems like every time a smaller carrier pops up, one of the big guns swoops it up instantly. The monopoly continues, hence Canadians continue to have some of the worst rates and plan offers around.

"Better Rates! More Choices!"

Harper's spending on that advertisement commercial along with the "Jobs Bank" program is just deplorable. No results? GTFO.

Telus is the worse company in the universe

I feel like you're exaggerating...

So much for the more option for canadians plan. Good job Harper.

There are plenty of other reasons to do so, but not sure why you'd be slagging Harper for this. The sale has been blocked twice already in an attempt to make sure the deal is fair, but someone was going to buy Mobilicity either way. If another company wants in, all they had to do was put in a comparable bid to TELUS' and the deal could well have gone through.

Seems like every time a smaller carrier pops up, one of the big guns swoops it up instantly. The monopoly continues, hence Canadians continue to have some of the worst rates and plan offers around.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Wind's still going, and areas like Thunder Bay still operate their own cellular service (as do Saskatchewan and Manitoba on a larger scale). Mobilicity has been around a while and if it wasn't for the fact they couldn't make a profit, then there wouldn't have been the option for one of the big three to buy it.

I get that some people hate the big three but I don't see how this applies to that hate rationally. It's a failed business that's being bought where other companies are still managing after putting the extra investment in at the start to run their own towers and frequencies.

Unlike the US, and especially in Europe and Asia. Because Canada's population is spread out, its hard for companies to offer low rates and increased competition. We're 1/10th the size of the US, and then you have to build your wireless network via towers.

I honestly think long term. Canadian carriers might be better off investing in satellite technology. Only problem is there is only two satellite companies, Globalstar, and Iridium. The issue with that is the phones are late 90's size. (It's hard to cram the satellite reception, good battery life all together.)

Building networks are expensive, and the worst part is placing towers. Here's a good idea of the expense.

http://www.statisticbrain.com/cell-phone-tower-statistics/

That's why companies with deep pockets and connections are the ones that are successful. I'm betting the small carriers are simply buying network time in bulk and reselling it. I'm ok with companies like Vodafone, T-Mobile, Orange, etc. give it a go.

Wind has worked on building their own network and is slowly expanding as they generate revenue. Others have done so as well. Don't forget all the carriers in Canada had to start somewhere by building their own towers too, and even if big companies from the US and Europe chose to come here they'd have to do the same - or pay an existing carrier to use their networks.

Telus is the worse company in the universe

Been with Telus since August of 2000, very rarely have I ever had an issue with them. Customer service has been great when a problem does pop up. Haven't paid for a full rate plan in years either. Their loyalty department is great.

Been with Telus since August of 2000, very rarely have I ever had an issue with them. Customer service has been great when a problem does pop up. Haven't paid for a full rate plan in years either. Their loyalty department is great.

Telus Mobility is a whole different story. But yes, Optik TV/Internet are fine.

how is bell or are they as crappy as telus?

i gotta get a cell phone this year and i would probably go with Wind but im in the kootenays and im not sure they have great coverage in the mountain areas.

Bell and Telus are pretty much the same given all they share. And they are quite a lot better than Rogers west of Ontario. Telus offers better prices than Bell. Mobilicity joining Telus would mean better service as they and WIND stink big time. (Talking about wireless of course)

I'd assume Kootenays would see similar coverage comments as most of the rural/semi-rural areas of southern/southwestern Alberta, and I've heard plenty of good things, plus have had decent coverage driving from Calgary to Kalispell (Montana)

Archived