The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do the Canucks have the most difficult pick in the draft?

Bo Horvat

Think about it.

In previous years (not including the trade last year to acquire the 9th pick), the Canucks have rather had a good player fall to them which was an easy decision, or a player they selected that just made sense based on who was available.

However, as opposed to being able to select the BPA out of what's left over, once the big five are gone, the jury is out on who deserves to be selected 6th overall this year. The Canucks can go in a number of different directions with this pick, all with different risks and rewards. There are power forwards with size, sound playmakers, two way forwards, a stay at home defenseman and small players with skill.

In my opinion, the Canucks have a chance to snag a great future NHL player, but also run the risk of selecting someone who may never pan out. I would assume that Linden and the future GM of the Canucks plan to fully examine all possibilities but my hunch is they will go with a player with size and skill. Nicholas Ritchie and Jake Virtanen and the two I think would best suit this team based on who we will be able to choose from at our spot.

What do you think? Are the Canucks faced with a tougher decision this year that in previous drafts?

No. There's just a lot more pressure on them now to make the correct pick. Esp. with Linden here now.

When we were picking Schroeder nobody really cared as the team was looking good.

When we were picking Grabner and White off the board, it was expected because of Nonis.

If the first thing Linden does is pick somebody horrible and/or off the board, well, that ain't good.

Think about it.

In previous years (not including the trade last year to acquire the 9th pick), the Canucks have rather had a good player fall to them which was an easy decision, or a player they selected that just made sense based on who was available.

However, as opposed to being able to select the BPA out of what's left over, once the big five are gone, the jury is out on who deserves to be selected 6th overall this year. The Canucks can go in a number of different directions with this pick, all with different risks and rewards. There are power forwards with size, sound playmakers, two way forwards, a stay at home defenseman and small players with skill.

In my opinion, the Canucks have a chance to snag a great future NHL player, but also run the risk of selecting someone who may never pan out. I would assume that Linden and the future GM of the Canucks plan to fully examine all possibilities but my hunch is they will go with a player with size and skill. Nicholas Ritchie and Jake Virtanen and the two I think would best suit this team based on who we will be able to choose from at our spot.

What do you think? Are the Canucks faced with a tougher decision this year that in previous drafts?

That risk happens anytime you're drafting in the top 10.. And the entire draft.

Yes unless one of the big 5 is there waiting. We have the most dubious pick.

6-10 are really a toss up. But since we have 6....if whoever we pick doesn't outperform the 7-10 picks, it will of course mean our new GM is a disgrace. But that is still 3-4 years down the road.

Yes unless one of the big 5 is there waiting. We have the most dubious pick.

6-10 are really a toss up. But since we have 6....if whoever we pick doesn't outperform the 7-10 picks, it will of course mean our new GM is a disgrace. But that is still 3-4 years down the road.

One pick = disgrace

Actually...I would say Edmonton has the hardest pick in the draft.

They pick third. Their needs are on defense period. Secondary is a ig rugged and skilled Centerman of which they have none.

If Ekblad and Reinhart go 1st and 2nd, this leaves the Oilers in a very unenviable position.

Do they use a massive 3rd overall pick to draft Draisatl or Fleury?

Or do they trade down and hope to god that the player they want is still there. Or package that pick and a player (Gagner/Yakupov) for a guy like Weber or someone comparable?

We have the decision of drafting a solid PWF or skilled European or one of the top 5 should they fall like Draisatl, Dal Colle or even Bennett. That is not a hard pick at all, hell we could even trade down 2 spots and still get the guy we want out of that mix and net an extra 2nd and 3rd for our troubles.

But Edmonton....man oh man they've really gotta get this right for the overall health and future of their franchise because I don't think Edmonton fans will support this mess anymore if they screw up

Actually...I would say Edmonton has the hardest pick in the draft.

They pick third. Their needs are on defense period. Secondary is a ig rugged and skilled Centerman of which they have none.

If Ekblad and Reinhart go 1st and 2nd, this leaves the Oilers in a very unenviable position.

Do they use a massive 3rd overall pick to draft Draisatl or Fleury?

Or do they trade down and hope to god that the player they want is still there. Or package that pick and a player (Gagner/Yakupov) for a guy like Weber or someone comparable?

We have the decision of drafting a solid PWF or skilled European or one of the top 5 should they fall like Draisatl, Dal Colle or even Bennett. That is not a hard pick at all, hell we could even trade down 2 spots and still get the guy we want out of that mix and net an extra 2nd and 3rd for our troubles.

But Edmonton....man oh man they've really gotta get this right for the overall health and future of their franchise because I don't think Edmonton fans will support this mess anymore if they screw up

Pretty much this.

Archived