The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why the Canucks should draft Jake Virtanen

canucks155

Here's the 5 best prospects IMO for this draft, after the top 5, compared to our prospects in no order...

Nylander = Schroeder. A stretch to compare him to Nylander, but he plays like him minus the skill. I'll say he doesn't compare to anybody just because Schroeder hadn't lived up to expectations w. injuries, etc.

Ehlers = Shinkaruk . Both had ridiculous #'s they both put up prior to getting drafted and they're both speedy.

Perlini= Jensen. Similar size and play alike.

Ritchie = Kassian. Most obvious one. Play an identical game.

Virtanen = NOBODY. Flashes of a lot of our prospects in his game. Sort of like a more skilled Kassian or more physical Jensen.

One could argue that you could use many of the same players but I really don't see the point. If I were GM (which I'm obviously not) then I'd want a diverse team who can do it all. For the sake of this topic lets narrow it down to Nylander or Virtanen. I say we draft Virtanen because we've got good prospects down the middle w/ Horvat, Guance, Schroeder, Cassels, Fox, etc. Also, next year's draft has plenty of better centers than Nylander (McDavid, Eichel, Barazal, Konecny, Strome, etc) I wouldn't mind if we picked any of these 5 players or even if we got Hayden Fleury since we have a shallow dman prospect pool. At 6'1, 210Ibs, Virtanen can do it all. He had 71P in 71G w/ 100PIMS. He's played at the Ivan Hlinka tourney and is currently playing for Canada at the U18 thing (don't know the name). Not to mention that he's a BC boy. Here's what mynhldraft.com says about him:

• Speed – Big man speed with acceleration, agility, balance. Won the 30 metre sprint, backward and forward, at the CHL Top Prospects game.
  • Shot – Big gun, quick finger, hits target, penetrates net.
  • Power forward – Jake Virtanen has the size, skating, drive and physicality teams look for in a power forward – Jake is probably the purest power forward in the draft.
  • Improvements to make – Should continue to work on using his teammates better, push for excellence in his defensive work and exert his physicality on a constant basis to win puck battles.
logo-profiler.jpg

Virtanen is a heads-up player who thinks the game well and is willing to get his nose dirty. He has slick hands, a dynamic shot and a strong stride that makes him dangerous. He can be outright dominant at times offensively with his blend of size, skill and speed.

Sounds like a player I'd love to see wearing the blue and green...

Canucks should trade the 6th over-all and actually get a winger for the Sedins...

We should tank. Sedins aren't the same players they used to be. Our best players don't play like our best players and we just traded Luo for parts that look like a team going into a rebuild. If we play our cards right, we can get a top 5 pick next year and get a future 1st line center (Barzal) and turn the ship around in a couple of years.

I was speaking in terms of the style of play, not skill wise or who's better.

But that still isn't a good arguement for drafting Virtanen. A top ten pick will have a much higher ceiling than 20<. Would you rather have two Crosby's or a Nash and a Crosby?

But that still isn't a good arguement for drafting Virtanen. A top ten pick will have a much higher ceiling than 20<. Would you rather have two Crosby's or a Nash and a Crosby?

Are you kidding me? Do think anybody in this draft, even in the top 5, can be compared to Crosby or Nash for that matter? Btw, Virtanen was ranked as the 8th best player in the draft by Bob McKenzie and every mock draft I've seen has him in the top 10. There's no way he falls outside the top 10.

Hate to be "that guy" but there are a thousand other places you can put this

No you don't or you wouldn't of said anything.

On topic, honestly seems like a good choice but so do the others. I think it really depends on what we need. And that depends if we trade anyone and what the returns are.

Are you kidding me? Do think anybody in this draft, even in the top 5, can be compared to Crosby or Nash for that matter? Btw, Virtanen was ranked as the 8th best player in the draft by Bob McKenzie and every mock draft I've seen has him in the top 10. There's no way he falls outside the top 10.

It was an analogy. I didn't even argue against the bolded.

Archived