The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

**The 6th pick Scenario nobody is Talking about**

carlweezer

So much talk about who to draft with the 6th pick overall from nylander, Ritchie. Ehlers ,virtanen etc.

I can see a scenario where we package the 6th pick overall and trade it to the Peg for Evander Kane.

This accomplishes the retool, rather than the rebuild with Kane, Kassian,Horvat,Gaunce,Shinkaruk,jensen Tanev as our young core to compliment our aging core of Sedins,Kes, Juice,Hammer,Edler ,Burr

It accomplishes what Linden wanted in the Boston blueprint by making us bigger and tougher to play against while infusing youth.

I don't know if I'm the only person who feels like this or not, but I want Evander Kane nowhere near this team.

I'm not even THAT opposed to him as a player/person. I just feel the cost is too high for what we'd be getting. They'd certainly want our 6th+ (say one of Gaunce or Cassels...maybe Tanev). At LEAST.

IMO we're not really in a position to be trading for young AND proven players. We lack the assets and the ones we have, we need.

Been discussed plenty of times. The Canucks would also have to give up a prospect like Cassels/Fox along with Tanev. Forget any trade involving current players with NTCs. As both a Jets and Canucks fan, this is fair for both sides. The Canucks get a proven player who you'd think would provide a few more points on the Canucks who is still very young. Meanwhile, the Jets get a decent pick, an alright prospect, and a stable 5/6 defenseman in return.

I don't get Vancouver fan's obsession with landing Kane. He's a good player but he has a huge ego. We don't need a cancer in the locker room. I see arguments like "he doesn't like it in Winnipeg but he would love to come to Vancouver and his attitude would be fixed." C'mon. Really? That won't happen. Let's not kid ourselves.

Kane is a good player, yes, but not worth what we would have to give up. He's a shoot first type guy and honestly the Canucks don't need that. We need a fast, smooth-skating offensive defenceman (Ehrhoff-esque) to lead the rush and more guys who can pass like Henrik. Assuming Kesler stays, we're gonna need someone to pass the puck to him. Kane wouldn't fit that criteria at all.

Obviously it would be great to get an elite, pure, shot first type player (Stamkos, Neal, Ovechkin etc.) but those guys don't come around a lot. Most team also don't have many shot first players. Boston is made of a bunch of strong two-way players, Pittsburg has Neal (Crosby and Malkin are not shoot-first guys), Tampa has Stamkos, Chicago has Kane who is surrounded by strong two-way players. If a team is full of shooters players will just end up taking weak shots from the slot and losing the puck.

If Daniel can regain his form (unlikely...but he will probably be more dangerous next season after a full summer of recovery) and Kesler has legit top-six forwards as linemates we won't need another "good" shooter.

I doubt anyone would even care that much about Kane if he wasn't from Vancouver...

Been discussed plenty of times. The Canucks would also have to give up a prospect like Cassels/Fox along with Tanev. Forget any trade involving current players with NTCs. As both a Jets and Canucks fan, this is fair for both sides. The Canucks get a proven player who you'd think would provide a few more points on the Canucks who is still very young. Meanwhile, the Jets get a decent pick, an alright prospect, and a stable 5/6 defenseman in return.

...and I'd rather not pay that price, thanks.

Would love it if nucks picked up evander for the 6th overall pick. He would do wonders for vancouvers scoring issues and would finally give kesler someone to play with. Kane/Kesler would challenge Sedins for top line minutes next year. Exactly what nucks need. Plus Kane is a nasty piece of business, drops gloves and throw em when necessary, something nucks need in top 6 forward group.

I don't get Vancouver fan's obsession with landing Kane. He's a good player but he has a huge ego. We don't need a cancer in the locker room. I see arguments like "he doesn't like it in Winnipeg but he would love to come to Vancouver and his attitude would be fixed." C'mon. Really? That won't happen. Let's not kid ourselves.

Kane is a good player, yes, but not worth what we would have to give up. He's a shoot first type guy and honestly the Canucks don't need that. We need a fast, smooth-skating offensive defenceman (Ehrhoff-esque) to lead the rush and more guys who can pass like Henrik. Assuming Kesler stays, we're gonna need someone to pass the puck to him. Kane wouldn't fit that criteria at all.

Obviously it would be great to get an elite, pure, shot first type player (Stamkos, Neal, Ovechkin etc.) but those guys don't come around a lot. Most team also don't have many shot first players. Boston is made of a bunch of strong two-way players, Pittsburg has Neal (Crosby and Malkin are not shoot-first guys), Tampa has Stamkos, Chicago has Kane who is surrounded by strong two-way players. If a team is full of shooters players will just end up taking weak shots from the slot and losing the puck.

If Daniel can regain his form (unlikely...but he will probably be more dangerous next season after a full summer of recovery) and Kesler has legit top-six forwards as linemates we won't need another "good" shooter.

I doubt anyone would even care that much about Kane if he wasn't from Vancouver...

You need to wake up if you think nucks don't need shooters up front. That is the nucks biggest weakness. Kane is a stud regardless if hes a local boy or not. He would bag 30-40 goals and would add grit and speed to our top 6 all of which is sorely missing here. U underrate Kane big time.

This has been thrown around quite a bit. This thread is like saying "The Kesler trade no one suggests - Kesler to Anaheim for Ottawa's pick and Etem". Like most draft topics we've covered pretty much everything, trade down, trade up, off the board pick, hope for Reinhart/Bennett/Dal Colle/Draisatl etc.

I don't want Kane. He's good but we need to move one of our defenders for him. Edler/Garrison and our 2nd is the most I'll give up. But I have no idea what their needs are so this could be a junk package.

Archived