The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

William Nylander vs Hunter Shinkaruk

Shink, but only because I have a feeling that Nylander will be a bust. No good reason why, but I just have a feeling. And theres no point in adding Nylander if we have Shinkaruk who plays a similar style. Use the pick to get a prospect we don't have like Virtanen, or if you want immediate impact, Nick Ritchie. (Imagine a line with Ritchie on left and Kassian on the right. Terrifying combo)

Shinkaruk has intangibles in youthful leadership and infectious enthusiasm. 2 things lacking in the Canucks lineup. He may never be a 100 pt guy, but 70-80 and a strong playoff performer. I think Hunter will be a great Canuck for a long time.

Shinkaruk has a major hip problem.

Nylander has a daddy's little rich kid and looking like a girl problem.

Toss up, but I think we'll stick with the kid we have and not add to the problems.

Almost all hockey players are rich kids.. It's not easy putting a kid through hockey

Shink, but only because I have a feeling that Nylander will be a bust. No good reason why, but I just have a feeling. And theres no point in adding Nylander if we have Shinkaruk who plays a similar style. Use the pick to get a prospect we don't have like Virtanen, or if you want immediate impact, Nick Ritchie. (Imagine a line with Ritchie on left and Kassian on the right. Terrifying combo)

He could very well be a bust..or a skilled 1C which is his ceiling...I think the Canucks should just pick the BPA...regardless of position.

Nylander has more diverse skills, which include top speed even though Shink is FAR from slow, elusive / explosive quickness, dangling to control the puck, control the play and passing.Plus he's a pivot, and has more opportunity to be involved ion the play.

But hey, you have to put it together, focus and determination count. Shinkaruk has already come through one significant injury early in his junior career, but still came to being one of the most explosive scorers in the WHL in recent memory.

My guess is Nylander and FTR i think both will make it, but I am hoping we get to see both first hand! :)

Nylander is a good prospect, he has one of the highest ceilings in this draft class, but needs to learn the NHL game. As long as he has the work ethic and determination to be a NHL star he will get there. If he doesn't have the mental capacity to overcome some of the adversities he will face then it likely won't work out.

You can look at the skill of players all you want, but their mentality is the most important aspect of their development and separates the gems from the busts.

Shinkaruk will be a good NHL because he has the passion and determination to get there. Nylander I'm not as sure about. If he does want to be a star he will get there, but there is a chance he just ends up as a decent 2nd line player with average defensive skills. I have a feeling he will not be comfortable being not a great player, and will work his way up to that second line spot, but I don't know if he has the passion and determination to become a star.

If we draft Nylander, he could make it with the right guidance from the Sedins over the next few years. That's the one thing that can make him a great player is a great role model to guide him along the way. He's not a bad pick at all for the Canucks because the Sedins will be here to help develop him into a real professional.

I don't think he's a great pick for some of the other teams in the top 10 because he won't have that great Swedish influence, but for us it's not a bad gamble.

If Nylander can translate his game to the smaller NHL surface, he could be a 90 point superstar.

If he doesnt, he may end up being Mike Santorelli.

I think he will. He is too smart and too fast not to eventually adjust.

He won't be anything like Santorelli. Santo plays in his own end equally as well as the offensive zone.

Nylander is Swedish. Really hope we pick Ritchie, we need more Canadians.

Ritchie screams bust to me. He looks like all his success comes from being so damn big in a league of high schoolers. I think once he gets to the NHL he'll lose that edge.

Archived