34 replies to this topic

#1 Desjardins' Mustache

Desjardins' Mustache

Comets Prospect

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:34 AM

I am discussing this because William Nylander could be a Canuck in just a few short months Who do you think will become a better player come future? Who's more NHL ready? From what I can see they both have a great skill level. Please Discuss

cheers

:canucks:  :canucks:

16ibr7s.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the sig

#2 Nicklas Bo Hunter

Nicklas Bo Hunter

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:02 AM

Well nylander has the potential to be better at this point we don't know. Nhl ready nylander is closer. He has been playing againt men for the past two years rather than jr.

#3 Mathew Barzal

Mathew Barzal

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,725 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:39 AM

Depends entirely on whether Nylander can adapt to NHL with his 'soft' playstyle. He most definitely has the higher ceiling and tools to do it with.

#4 CheddaBurger

CheddaBurger

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:41 AM

Heres Nylander highlights....good looking shots, passes, hands, skating......not too big but I like the looks of him more than I do Virtanen or Ritchie thats for sure.

connor_mcdavid_signature_erie_otters_by_

MADE BY ME

* DALLAS STARS * CDC ELITE LEAGUE

EDMONTON OILERS * CDCFL

#5 Madness

Madness

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,914 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:42 AM

Nylander will probably be better than Shinkaruk. 

We All Go a Little Mad Sometimes   || STL Blues EHL Roster ||

cookie.png

#6 TheLiveWire

TheLiveWire

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:47 AM

Shink, but only because I have a feeling that Nylander will be a bust. No good reason why, but I just have a feeling. And theres no point in adding Nylander if we have Shinkaruk who plays a similar style. Use the pick to get a prospect we don't have like Virtanen, or if you want immediate impact, Nick Ritchie. (Imagine a line with Ritchie on left and Kassian on the right. Terrifying combo)

21bj6s4.jpg

Credit to: Vintage Canuck

#7 BabychStache

BabychStache

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:59 PM

Shinkaruk has intangibles in youthful leadership and infectious enthusiasm. 2 things lacking in the Canucks lineup. He may never be a 100 pt guy, but 70-80 and a strong playoff performer. I think Hunter will be a great Canuck for a long time.
Posted Image
Credit to Goaltenderinterference for the awesome Sig!

#8 BanTSN

BanTSN

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,085 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:03 PM

Shinkaruk has a major hip problem.

Nylander has a daddy's little rich kid and looking like a girl problem.

Toss up, but I think we'll stick with the kid we have and not add to the problems.
Posted Image

#9 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,438 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:04 PM

They could end up playing on the same line and putting up similar numbers. 

#10 asian player

asian player

Yakuza

• Members
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:11 PM

Toss up, but I think we'll stick with the kid we have and not add to the problems.

Almost all hockey players are rich kids.. It's not easy putting a kid through hockey
Posted Image
Mad props to Justdean10 for sig

#11 TheRussianRocket™

TheRussianRocket™

Abused Potato

• Members
  • 8,977 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:14 PM

Shinkaruk has intangibles in youthful leadership and infectious enthusiasm. 2 things lacking in the Canucks lineup. He may never be a 100 pt guy, but 70-80 and a strong playoff performer. I think Hunter will be a great Canuck for a long time.

tumblr_nfmdrowNrE1u1hiuoo1_250.gif <------------------------------------> tumblr_nfmdrowNrE1u1hiuoo2_250.gif

#12 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,235 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:48 PM

Shink, but only because I have a feeling that Nylander will be a bust. No good reason why, but I just have a feeling. And theres no point in adding Nylander if we have Shinkaruk who plays a similar style. Use the pick to get a prospect we don't have like Virtanen, or if you want immediate impact, Nick Ritchie. (Imagine a line with Ritchie on left and Kassian on the right. Terrifying combo)

He could very well be a bust..or a skilled 1C which is his ceiling...I think the Canucks should just pick the BPA...regardless of position.

#13 Absent Canuck

Absent Canuck

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:51 PM

If Nylander can translate his game to the smaller NHL surface, he could be a 90 point superstar. 

If he doesnt, he may end up being Mike Santorelli. 

I think he will. He is too smart and too fast not to eventually adjust. 

Another great sig by Vintage Canuck

#14 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,725 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:19 PM

Nylander has more diverse skills, which include top speed even though Shink is FAR from slow, elusive  / explosive quickness, dangling to control the puck, control the play and passing.Plus he's a pivot, and has more opportunity to be involved ion the play.

But hey, you have to put it together, focus and determination count. Shinkaruk has already come through one significant injury early in his junior career, but still came to being one of the most explosive scorers in the WHL in recent memory. 

My guess is Nylander and FTR i think both will make it, but I am hoping we get to see both first hand!  :)

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 26 April 2014 - 02:24 PM.

#15 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,541 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:44 PM

Clearly we must make a decision now that will decide their fates forever.

/sarcasm

But Nylander has a little higher ceiling although it's impossible to predict which will have the better career.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

If this team lets go of Sang he will burn this team next year. 

#16 Colts_14

Colts_14

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:54 AM

is nylander russian?

27yo74z.jpg
:towel: :canucks: Credit to JustDean10 for the awesome sig :canucks: :towel:

#17 Derp...

Derp...

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:36 PM

Nylander is a good prospect, he has one of the highest ceilings in this draft class, but needs to learn the NHL game. As long as he has the work ethic and determination to be a NHL star he will get there. If he doesn't have the mental capacity to overcome some of the adversities he will face then it likely won't work out.

You can look at the skill of players all you want, but their mentality is the most important aspect of their development and separates the gems from the busts.

Shinkaruk will be a good NHL because he has the passion and determination to get there. Nylander I'm not as sure about. If he does want to be a star he will get there, but there is a chance he just ends up as a decent 2nd line player with average defensive skills. I have a feeling he will not be comfortable being not a great player, and will work his way up to that second line spot, but I don't know if he has the passion and determination to become a star.

If we draft Nylander, he could make it with the right guidance from the Sedins over the next few years. That's the one thing that can make him a great player is a great role model to guide him along the way. He's not a bad pick at all for the Canucks because the Sedins will be here to help develop him into a real professional.

I don't think he's a great pick for some of the other teams in the top 10 because he won't have that great Swedish influence, but for us it's not a bad gamble. 

Cassels

#18 The Magician

The Magician

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,921 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:39 PM

Nylander is Swedish. Really hope we pick Ritchie, we need more Canadians.

nN5BCfs.jpg

#19 N7Nucks

N7Nucks

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,542 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 01:01 PM

If Nylander can translate his game to the smaller NHL surface, he could be a 90 point superstar. 

If he doesnt, he may end up being Mike Santorelli. 

I think he will. He is too smart and too fast not to eventually adjust. 

He won't be anything like Santorelli. Santo plays in his own end equally as well as the offensive zone.

#20 Bitter Melon

Bitter Melon

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,636 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 02:40 PM

POPULAR

Nylander is Swedish. Really hope we pick Ritchie, we need more Canadians.

Ritchie screams bust to me. He looks like all his success comes from being so damn big in a league of high schoolers. I think once he gets to the NHL he'll lose that edge.

BO KNOWS

#21 Bure_Pavel

Bure_Pavel

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 07:27 PM

Ritchie is far from bust he has more than just size, probably a lot better chance that nylander does than him. Size as long as it doesn't effect skating ability is never a bad thing.  

#22 HockeyHobo73

HockeyHobo73

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:00 PM

You'd have to be crazy if you wouldn't trade Shinkaruk for Nylander...

#23 susraiders

susraiders

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 09:17 PM

I think Shinkaruk will have an impact quicker than Nylander because Nylander has to adapt to the smaller ice, but Nylander will be the better player in the long run.

#24 Jiggs50

Jiggs50

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,586 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:30 PM

Couldn't Nylander still grow? He's only 17 I believe...

#25 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:38 PM

Anyone else tired of BanTSN saying Nylander looks like a girl every chance he gets? What the %^*& does Nylanders looks have to do with his playing ability. The fact that Nylanders dad was an NHL great I would say is a positive not a negative.

Play Clash on Clans on your phone? Join the CDC Clan "happycanuck".

"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

CDC's 2014 draft preferences vs. Canucks actual picks
http://forum.canucks...g-2014-edition/

#26 BCRenegade

BCRenegade

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 08:34 PM

Anyone else tired of BanTSN saying Nylander looks like a girl every chance he gets? What the %^*& does Nylanders looks have to do with his playing ability. The fact that Nylanders dad was an NHL great I would say is a positive not a negative.

If looks had anything to do with hockey, why wasn't Tim Hunter a superstar? Worked well for Rod Brind'Amour...... Lol

Don't think anyone understands bantsn's logic here and most of us don't care too.

Sig too big. 

#27 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,061 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:57 PM

Shinkaruk.  He's probably a better 2 way player, he's probably more tough more gritty, and a much better goal scorer.  Look at how many goal's he scored leading to his draft year.  He's the highest WHL goal scorer available in the 2013 NHL entry draft.   If Shinkaruk was a 2014 prospect, we be talking about him right now, and it probably be between drafting Ritchie, Ehlers, Nylander or goal scoring sensation from Western Canada, Hunter Shinkaruk.  Shinkaruk will smoke a lot of these clowns in this weak draft year.  IN fact Shinkaruk was ranked as one of of the top North Amercian prospects one behind, Monahan.

Nylander will get owned if he plays in the NHL.  him playing with other men is overstated.  anton Rodin played with men too in his draft year... how the frack did that go?  yea. 

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#28 Light Bearer

Light Bearer

Comets Regular

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:44 PM

Heres Nylander highlights....good looking shots, passes, hands, skating......not too big but I like the looks of him more than I do Virtanen or Ritchie thats for sure.

His highlights are no more spectacular than any other players in this years draft. Is hitting even allowed in that league? looks soft as heck
" Some people see things that are and ask why?... Some people see things that never were and ask why not?... And some people have to go to work and don't have time for any of that sh** "

#29 "Bull" Horvat

"Bull" Horvat

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:55 PM

points wise at the end of their careers I think Nylander may have the upperhand just because he's a center and he's actually "using his wingers" ;)

mmm.. for those that bring up Ritchie he could very well be the next Clowe/Clarkson. This team we have right now has enough size in the farm if that's what people are concerned about. what i'm concerned about is scoring goals and Ritchie is no Nichushkin and Nylander would be a great addition. with issues on the hips you never know how Shink will be just like Hamhuis' hip problems

you want someone that can be a 3rd/4th liner, making big hits and could probably score... there's others like Ritchie they just need to be developed

Virtanen is at a different IQ with same tools and a bit more size/lanky in an overall comparison to Shinkaruk

Edited by "Bull" Horvat, 28 April 2014 - 10:58 PM.

Posted Image

#30 BureisBest

BureisBest

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 09:50 PM

I think there is a very valid point in adding Nylander and other skilled prospects.  We have a very shallow pool of prospects, let alone offensively talented ones.  You're going to put all of your chips on Shinkaruk developing into a skilled top-6 forward for us and say we don't need to stockpile any other talented players in our pipeline?  I think we should get as many as we can, and Nylander certainly would be a nice addition, and he is a RH shot which we are weak on.  Horvat, Jensen, Shinkaruk, Gaunce all shoot LH.

As far as the OP question, I think Shinkaruk will be a better player when it's all said and done.  I think he has the drive and determination to be a great player.  Nylander, I'm not as sure, and I think he will be a good player as well, just think Shinkaruk will be best if we have to choose!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.