The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

William Nylander vs Hunter Shinkaruk

Shinkaruk has a major hip problem.

Nylander has a daddy's little rich kid and looking like a girl problem.

Toss up, but I think we'll stick with the kid we have and not add to the problems.

Anyone else tired of BanTSN saying Nylander looks like a girl every chance he gets? What the %^*& does Nylanders looks have to do with his playing ability. The fact that Nylanders dad was an NHL great I would say is a positive not a negative.

Anyone else tired of BanTSN saying Nylander looks like a girl every chance he gets? What the %^*& does Nylanders looks have to do with his playing ability. The fact that Nylanders dad was an NHL great I would say is a positive not a negative.

If looks had anything to do with hockey, why wasn't Tim Hunter a superstar? Worked well for Rod Brind'Amour...... Lol

Don't think anyone understands bantsn's logic here and most of us don't care too.

Shinkaruk. He's probably a better 2 way player, he's probably more tough more gritty, and a much better goal scorer. Look at how many goal's he scored leading to his draft year. He's the highest WHL goal scorer available in the 2013 NHL entry draft. If Shinkaruk was a 2014 prospect, we be talking about him right now, and it probably be between drafting Ritchie, Ehlers, Nylander or goal scoring sensation from Western Canada, Hunter Shinkaruk. Shinkaruk will smoke a lot of these clowns in this weak draft year. IN fact Shinkaruk was ranked as one of of the top North Amercian prospects one behind, Monahan.

Nylander will get owned if he plays in the NHL. him playing with other men is overstated. anton Rodin played with men too in his draft year... how the fuck did that go? yea.

Heres Nylander highlights....good looking shots, passes, hands, skating......not too big but I like the looks of him more than I do Virtanen or Ritchie thats for sure.

His highlights are no more spectacular than any other players in this years draft. Is hitting even allowed in that league? looks soft as heck

points wise at the end of their careers I think Nylander may have the upperhand just because he's a center and he's actually "using his wingers" ;)

mmm.. for those that bring up Ritchie he could very well be the next Clowe/Clarkson. This team we have right now has enough size in the farm if that's what people are concerned about. what i'm concerned about is scoring goals and Ritchie is no Nichushkin and Nylander would be a great addition. with issues on the hips you never know how Shink will be just like Hamhuis' hip problems

you want someone that can be a 3rd/4th liner, making big hits and could probably score... there's others like Ritchie they just need to be developed

Virtanen is at a different IQ with same tools and a bit more size/lanky in an overall comparison to Shinkaruk

Shink, but only because I have a feeling that Nylander will be a bust. No good reason why, but I just have a feeling. And theres no point in adding Nylander if we have Shinkaruk who plays a similar style. Use the pick to get a prospect we don't have like Virtanen, or if you want immediate impact, Nick Ritchie. (Imagine a line with Ritchie on left and Kassian on the right. Terrifying combo)

I think there is a very valid point in adding Nylander and other skilled prospects. We have a very shallow pool of prospects, let alone offensively talented ones. You're going to put all of your chips on Shinkaruk developing into a skilled top-6 forward for us and say we don't need to stockpile any other talented players in our pipeline? I think we should get as many as we can, and Nylander certainly would be a nice addition, and he is a RH shot which we are weak on. Horvat, Jensen, Shinkaruk, Gaunce all shoot LH.

As far as the OP question, I think Shinkaruk will be a better player when it's all said and done. I think he has the drive and determination to be a great player. Nylander, I'm not as sure, and I think he will be a good player as well, just think Shinkaruk will be best if we have to choose!

I don't know if you can compare the two, but trading Shinkaruk would be ill advised.

He is a skilled forward who has enjoyed great success in the WHL (the toughest of all the junior leagues IMO)

If anything, I would try to pry Emerson Etem out of Anaheim to play with him. Reunite the Tigers teammates.

I can't really comment on Nylander because I haven't seen him play live. Shinkaruk on the other hand, I was big on him long before he was drafted by the Canucks. I was ecstatic when they were able to pick him up.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't get the comparison. Shinkaruk is a shooter, Nylander is a playmaker and by far the best one in the draft. Every time I see him with the puck I see Patrick Kane. Same size, same all world skill, same criticisms.

If Horvat's comparison is Bergeron and Nylanders is Kane, if they even remotely live up to that there's two thirds of line I would love til I die.

I don't really understand why the OP wants to compare the two. Like Kulikov said above they are two different players. Shinkaruk plays more of a shifty, explosive game and he is a shooter. Whereas, Nylander is much more controlled and smooth with the puck. I hate to make comparisons with players but Nylander does look a lot like Patrick Kane with the way he handles the puck on his stick. He looks extremely comfortable with the puck and drives the play.

From all the reports on him, Nylander has sick skill and could possibly be the most skilled player in this entire draft. At #6 I would seriously consider taking him with that pick. I would have him in the mix with Ritchie and Virtanen with Nylander and Virtanen being ahead of Ritchie on my depth chart.

Archived