The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How long for the Canucks to rebuild and be a contender again?

fanfor42

How long will it take for the Canucks to rebuild and be a contender again? This question is the most important question facing the team and it's fans. The answer to this question will dictate the philosophy of the new GM and possibly new coach for the next several years - not to mention upper management, Linden, ownership and scouting staff.

I subscribe to the notion that the Canucks need to replace their first line before they can contend. The Sedins need to be the team's second line. (As has been recently posted). Further I subscribe to the belief that several key pieces must be moved to make room for new blood. The team needs to draft well in the next two years in order to add pieces that can produce results in 3 to 4 years.

Optimistically, I think the team could contend again in 3 or 4 years - before theSedins retire, providing they are the second line at that time. Pessimistically, it is 5 or more years to complete an effective rebuild and be a contender again.

So, do you believe that the Canucks can be a contender again in 3 years or will it be 5 or more? And, the first post should be thoughtful and not just a negative swipe. This is an important issue to debate. It effects how fans perceive the team and what the expectations are. This question has not been posed in the past 10 pages of Canuck Talk. It has no doubt been asked before, but given it's importance I think a new thread at this time is valid. Let's hear from some of the moresage Canuck fans with an honest opinion. Thanks.

If we play our cards right and trade basically everybody for players under the age of 24, I think it'll take 3-4 years to have a great shot at the cup.

Management will probably screw this up however and go into denial like Calgary did. Extending the process to 5-7 years.

If we play our cards right and trade basically everybody for players under the age of 24, I think it'll take 3-4 years to have a great shot at the cup.

Management will probably screw this up however and go into denial like Calgary did. Extending the process to 5-7 years.

We could be the new Oilers!!!! :frantic:

Seriously though...no way this could possibly happen. Name me one NHL team that has ever traded every player and started from scratch. Besides being the laughing stock of the league, the Nucks would be the most untrusted by the players.

What defines a "contender"? Making playoffs?

STL everyone was pegged to be a contender and just got knocked out in the first round they only played 6 more games than the canucks. One of LA or SJ are also going to be knocked out in the first round this year. Does that make this season a success for them?

Any team that constantly make playoffs should be considered a contender? If thats the case, next year we will be back again to being a "contender".

What defines a "contender"? Making playoffs?

STL everyone was pegged to be a contender and just got knocked out in the first round they only played 6 more games than the canucks. One of LA or SJ are also going to be knocked out in the first round this year. Does that make this season a success for them?

Any team that constantly make playoffs should be considered a contender? If thats the case, next year we will be back again to being a "contender".

Exactly

Draft Ritchie. Trade Kesler for Pouliot and a 2015 first. Tank and get a 2015 top pick. Most of the rebuild is done in a year....

If we trade to stockpile 2 or 3 first round picks in 2015 , we could end the rebuild by next year yes. Then we can sign free agents to help our prospects develop.

Archived