The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Edler to Tampa Bay

Just saw in an article in the Hockey News

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/rumor-roundup-should-the-lightning-re-sign-ryan-callahan/

Yzerman must also ensure sufficient cap space to bolster his defensive depth, exposed as a weakness in the series against the Canadiens. Erlendsson claims the Lightning were linked to Vancouver’s Alex Edler and Phoenix’s Keith Yandle in the past.

Of the pair, Yandle could be the easiest to land. He lacks a no-trade clause and has two years remaining on his contract at an annual cap hit of $5.25 million. Edler has a full no-trade clause with five more seasons on his contract worth $5 million per. If Yzerman pursues either guy, the Coyotes and Canucks will want one of the Lightning’s good young scoring forwards as part of the return.

So, who would be one of their good young scoring forwards who might come back?? It definitely would not be Ondrej Palat or Tyler Johnson, no way in heck would it be them. Alex Killorn maybe??

Edler & Hedman or Edler & Salo back together again.

Interesting tidbit, what you guys think, would you do it?

Tampa have a LOT of good young forwards, they can afford to lose one of them for a defenceman. I'd take Palat or Johnson or Drouin for Edler + picks. Gives them a young-ish defenceman and another young piece to build around a very young forward group and a young goalie.

Tampa Bay makes so much sense it isn't even funny.

And yea Purcell or Connolly

Oh god if Yzerman gets desperate and we unload Edler and acquire another prospective power forward like connolly.

If we get anything for Edler we should be happy, it'll improve half the teams +/- instantly.

Tampa have a LOT of good young forwards, they can afford to lose one of them for a defenceman. I'd take Palat or Johnson or Drouin for Edler + picks. Gives them a young-ish defenceman and another young piece to build around a very young forward group and a young goalie.

LOL

EDIT: I would take Connolly from them in the package considering it hasn't really worked out for him there yet.

Yzerman has quite a few young players plus a couple of vets looking for much bigger contracts in the next couple of seasons, so he's going to need no manage that.

The rumour probably stems from the fact that a certain team in south Florida automatically thinks of the Canucks first when they want to get rid of a bad contract or pending UFA.

But the last laugh is on Stevie. MG is no longer here!!

I was thinking along those same lines. Tbay might actually be one team Eddie would waive to with the Salo and Ohlund connections.

I would even take Malone and his contract to help offset cap.

My suggestion does seem like a lot but I'm not sure who the young players they would be willing to part with the most are. Maybe Namestnikov or Panik would be their preference. I would think Connolly's value is at an all time low and the emergence of Palat, Johnson and Brown might make Kucherov somewhat expendable.

Making Killorn a focus might make sense for the Canucks if they think he can play 2nd line Center. He fits that description of a young Center between 20-25 and may make the requested return for Kesler change.

I think with Malone's recent troubles with the law and poor play that would be a buyout the Bolts will have to keep for themselves but I understand your thinking.

Archived