The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Who would you trade to keep the Roster Fresh?

To try to keep the Canucks from becoming a Calgary who would you trade?  

294 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As our team gets older and we look to the future, who would you trade? would you be willing to trade Kesler? Sedins? Hamhuis?

We don't want to be a Calgary so we need to continually retool, that doesn't mean full crazy changes but who would you be willing to let go?

Really... the only people who are effectively untouchables would be:

Sedins - Linden won't trade them, they will get their chance to end their careers here

Bieksa - Has stated he won't waive his no trade, gives really good value for the cap dollar... also has the character and personality to help incorporate the younger players we will almost certainly be getting

Higgins - Has simply just been too good for his price to move. Could end up being the veteran presence on a 3rd line with Horvat in the middle and another young guy on the other wing.

Players who likely won't be moved because of circumstance:

Matthias - Pretty good value for dollar, is a new face which we need, and is kind of a great age between veterans and rookies

Hamhuis - Really good cap hit for what you get. Won't likely waive his NTC after having taken less to be here. Couldn't be replaced at that price

Garrison - tough to get trade value, any replacement for those dollars is not likely to be any better

Kassian - Our most developed young skater... still upside and part of the youth movement

You can see scenarios where anyone else on the roster could get traded pretty easily.

Honestly, I'd love to keep most of the players if I had a chance, but for everyone's good... I would trade away most of the core, send everyone to teams contending for the Cup.

Sedins to Detroit - Sedins would fit well with this team have a sound chance rebounding their careers and winning.

Kesler to Tampa Bay - Tampa could use Kesler's hustle and energy to push them further

Bieksa to Toronto - Not quite a contender yet, but Bieksa could provide energy and leadership to get them closer

As for everyone else I'd deal, and whom I'd expect to get in return... I'll have to get back on that later, but I do have ideas (but most of you will write them off as my usual crazy far-fetched impracticalities).

Im going to sound like a broken record, but Pouliot and a 2015 first for Kesler makes a lot of sense. If Letang is healthy I could see it.

Dont trade Edler... you dont trade a guy when his value is as low as its ever been.... If Detroit offered Mantha for Edler, and he would waive, id do it though.

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($7.000m) / Henrik Sedin ($7.000m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Matt Moulson ($3.500m) / Mike Santorelli ($1.500m) / Zack Kassian ($2.500m)
Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / Bo Horvat ($0.894m) / Brendan Gallagher ($0.685m)
Nicklas Jensen ($0.863m) / Lars Eller ($3.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($2.500m)
Hunter Shinkaruk ($0.894m) / Dane Fox ($0.831m)
DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Chris Tanev ($3.000m)
Matt Niskanen ($4.500m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)
Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Frank Corrado ($0.591m)
Ryan Stanton ($0.550m) /
GOALTENDERS
Eddie Lack ($1.150m)
Tomas Vokoun ($2.000m)
Jacob Markstrom ($1.200m)
BUYOUTS
David Booth ($0.000m)
Keith Ballard ($0.000m)
RETAINED SALARIES (1.13% of upper limit)
Roberto Luongo ($0.800m—15.00%)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,783,611; BONUSES: $1,255,833
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $7,316,389

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trades:

Kesler -> Simmonds + 1st

Edler + Burrows + 3rd '15 -> rights on signing Eller first + Gallagher

Higgins + Matthias -> any late 1st'14 pick or early 2nd

Signings:

Santorelli $1.5m/3y

Moulson $3.5/3y

Niskanen $4.5m/2y

Vokoun $2m/1y

------------------------------------------------------------

I guess this could be work and it's not so unreal. If Edler and Burrows waive their NTC's.. why not?! :huh:

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTERCapGeek Armchair GM RosterFORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($7.000m) / Henrik Sedin ($7.000m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)Matt Moulson ($3.500m) / Mike Santorelli ($1.500m) / Zack Kassian ($2.500m)

Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / Bo Horvat ($0.894m) / Brendan Gallagher ($0.685m)

Nicklas Jensen ($0.863m) / Lars Eller ($3.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($2.500m)

Hunter Shinkaruk ($0.894m) / Dane Fox ($0.831m)DEFENSEMEN

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Chris Tanev ($3.000m)Matt Niskanen ($4.500m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)

Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Frank Corrado ($0.591m)

Ryan Stanton ($0.550m) /GOALTENDERS

Eddie Lack ($1.150m)Tomas Vokoun ($2.000m)

Jacob Markstrom ($1.200m)BUYOUTSDavid Booth ($0.000m)

Keith Ballard ($0.000m)RETAINED SALARIES (1.13% of upper limit)

Roberto Luongo ($0.800m15.00%)------CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)(estimations for 2014-15)SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,783,611; BONUSES: $1,255,833CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $7,316,389

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trades:

Kesler -> Simmonds + 1st

Edler + Burrows + 3rd '15 -> rights on signing Eller first + Gallagher

Higgins + Matthias -> any late 1st'14 pick or early 2nd

Signings:

Santorelli $1.5m/3y

Moulson $3.5/3y

Niskanen $4.5m/2y

Vokoun $2m/1y

------------------------------------------------------------

I guess this could be work and it's not so unreal. If Edler and Burrows waive their NTC's.. why not?! :huh:

Man this team would get pounded into the ground...

Edit: you're also not going to get Simmonds and Moulson to come from better teams for way less money. I think it'd take 5+ million for Moulson & 6+ million for Simmonds.

Interesting that Eddie lack is the only player with 0 votes so far.

Question. Would Kesler trade value be reduced that much if we keep him another year? He would still have another year left on his contract and it would give Bo another year to get ready us help us not to such too badly.

Kesler: Will likely net a big return, and we have an abundance of 2-way Cs in the system who should be able to replace his points and defensive abilities.

Higgins: Another middle 6 forward who works hard but is redundant with Hansen, Kassian, Booth, Burrows, and Matthias. Would rather open a spot for a prospect instead.

Schroeder: I'm still a big supporter of JS, but I think he needs a chance that isn't going to be given on a Tortorella team. If Torts is fired, give him another year to try to figure it out.

Sestito: He's a pylon. Brings nothing but fights. Trade him and bring up Lain or Archie instead.

No goalies traded: Lack, Markstrom, and Eriksson all have great potential, and there's no problem running with Lack and Mark in the NHL and Eriksson in the A. Don't trade any until they show big value. Decide who's the long term goalie in VAN then.

No picks traded: Need all the prospects we can get at this point. Don't trade any picks unless we're trading up in a package deal.

Interesting that Eddie lack is the only player with 0 votes so far.

Question. Would Kesler trade value be reduced that much if we keep him another year? He would still have another year left on his contract and it would give Bo another year to get ready us help us not to such too badly.

I think it would as he'd be in his last year of his contract.

Man this team would get pounded into the ground...

Edit: you're also not going to get Simmonds and Moulson to come from better teams for way less money. I think it'd take 5+ million for Moulson & 6+ million for Simmonds.

Simmonds have a contract over this season, he isn't a FA next season.

Okay Moulson could get more, I guess $3.5m is fair, but he could get $1m more..

Simmonds could protect the twins.. big, strong player who could be a perfect match for our PP, to screen the goalie. Gallagher is a rat (I mean this lovely).. okay he isn't big, but he's strong and he work hard. Eller complete our "Danish-Dynamite-Line" with Hansen and Jensen on the wing.. damn guy, speed, speed, speed.

Vokoun could be the mentor for Eddie and should be our Back-Up.. Markstrom and Ericsson play another season at the AHL.

I guess Niskanen would be the better option than Meszaros, I wouldn't trade Bieksa or Garrison, so I get only one of them.

Archived