The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden interview on Tim&Sid + Team1040 - recap

TheRussianRocket.

Linden appeared on Tim&Sid at 11:40 today. Shared some pretty valuable information and for anyone who didn't catch it, here's a summary:

- Linden: "Imperative" new GM picks the Canucks head coach with his own ability.

- Linden says he is still downloading info on coaching staff. Has a great deal of respect for Tortorella.

- I would love to have someone in place by the end of May, said Linden, whos been the Canucks president of hockey operations for three weeks now. I dont know if thats possible.

- Linden said he won't rule out bringing back the 94' skate jersey.

- I have a great deal of respect for John, said Linden. Hes been successful in this league. Hes won a Stanley Cup. Its a decision that has effects all over the place. I just want to make sure that Im seeing things clearly.

- Canucks want GM in place by late May, early June. Interviews to begin likely next week, says Trevor Linden.

- Linden says Kesler has some concerns and they are talking about those. Work in process. Waiting for GM & coach it sounds like.

- "I have lots of things I'm working on, but critical path is a General Manager," Linden told Nat and Drew. "I've got a list of candidates, and it's about getting permission to speak to them and setting up meetings. That's really important. That's going to shape our hockey department and put us down a successful path."

- Linden says Tortorella has not been any part of process in regards to GM search.

- Linden says he will start GM interview process next week and has gotten very little push-back from teams on accessibility.

You can listen to the team1040 interview here:

http://www.teamradio.ca/news/2014/04/30/trevor-linden-with-nat-and-drew-on-qmfm

You can listen to the Tim$Sid interview here: http://player.rogersradio.ca/cjcl/on_air

Now here's some meat and potatoes! Thanks RR!

Still sounding like Torts is likely on the outside looking in IMO. It's not impossible he's back but it's still not looking likely.

Good to know there's progress being made on the GM front and we might actually start hearing some news filter out over the next couple weeks. Good to hear about (lack of) push back. Go Benning!

Understandable about Kes' concerns. The guy need some line mates! Kassian appears to be a fit but that LW spot is wide open. It'll be interesting to see if they feel they can fill it or are better off simply moving Kes...

No mention of Pat Quinn possibly joining up in some advisory role?

I don't think that'll be likely. Seems more of a fan-driven want/desire than anything. Would be nice but if he's not it's fine too since he's at an age where it'd be hard for him to work. Think he deserves his retirement.

I don't think that'll be likely. Seems more of a fan-driven want/desire than anything. Would be nice but if he's not it's fine too since he's at an age where it'd be hard for him to work. Think he deserves his retirement.

I don't know if it's a fan-driven want, but there have been some discussions between the two guys to lead us to believe there being a potential position available. I wouldn't expect much out of it though.

I might've gotten tired by Torts' act faster than AV's <_<

Can we please get a new voice already, clearly his system won't work out with the offense our team is capable of producing.

I don't think head coaches really have the fan in mind when they devise a system to use...nor should they.

Lets see, the team floundered during 2011/2012 and then 2012/2013 and this year completely messed the bed under a new coach.

Yup must be the coaches fault, lets trade for or sign some high priced UFA's as that's always worked for us before

Need a new GM, need to shuffle a D man and forward from the top 4 and top 6 to shake things up need to start ramping in prospects for the system and play out next season as it happens.

Trade well draft better and this team turns it all around at the end of next season.

OR!

Do something silly like try to compete by trading and signing UFA's and watch this team hit bottom faster than a Keenan steered Messier driven mess

The part where he talks about "making going to Rogers Arena an exciting and fun place to be again" is interesting.

That pretty clearly to me means the writing is on the wall for Torts, as well as whomever is responsible for game day presentation.

Oh, and DJ Dave is as good as gone, his downfall obviously being changing the goal song from "Holiday" to "Electric Worry". :rolleyes:

Could see Quinn doing this informally for Linden anyways, with Linden feeling free to call him and bounce ideas off of him.

i would rather find 3 players that can meld together, than trying to find the right linemates for kesler year after year

and having the gm blamed for not finding those players....kesler is a shoot first player and who plays well with

that kind of player?.....centers have to feed the puck off to his wingers, like hank.....

we've seen some good combo's with richardson, kassian, booth or matthias.....they feed off each other.....

Archived