The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Torts Fired

Strombone1

This was posted an hour ago. Since it's a Yahoo article, he had to semi-trash the Vancouver fanbase while he wrote the article. :mellow:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/report--john-tortorella-to-be-fired-by-canucks-after-nightmare-first-season-041532804.html

Vancouverites know: that's not what towels are for. They are for waving, while implying that the officials are out to against you.

Hard to take an article seriously when the author can't even write coherently.

I'm ok with this but. Torts did well with Kassian and Jensen. He is the right coach for building a young team. He shows you how to play the right way (how you have to compete in the league). Unfortunaly he does some things I disagree with

1) Sedin's on PK

2)Kassian (3rd line, for the most part)

3)Edler playing a lot

3) Chip puck in and chase it

4) playing Kesler and Sedin's almost 22 mins a night

5) shot blocking to some degree

1. Agree, especially since he had no depth so save their energy but he was also trying to set a tone on the team of everyone has to play a balanced game- i get it but he needed to adjust given circumstances, so yes good in theory, bad pragmatically

2. Kassian was developed/is developing the way he is BECAUSE he was on the 3rd line. You gave torts credit for Kass and Jensen then say he handled him wrong? He handled him right, he is developing into a much better 200 ft player because he needed to learn how to play in his own end first, how to play hard on the boards and use his body / size...playing a finesse game would not have brought that out. Again, you gave torts credit then say he did it wrong, disagree he handled Kassian Perfectly

3. He stuck with Edler to try and help Edler 'work out' of his funk and his problems. He needed Edler to be better and have to give Torts credit for understanding you don't correct a player's confidence and mental issues by getting in his head and making him more worried and sitting him. Handled him right, but the problem is with Edler

4. Chip the puck in - Big fallacy of fans about his system. Torts does not tell players dump it in and chase it all the time, but rather KNOW WHEN to carry and know when to chip and chase. Players implemented this wrong.

5. Kesler/Sedin Ice time - lack of depth and injuries, no choice - This is MG's fault

6. Shot blocking - every team in the NHL preaches getting in the shooting lanes, why do you think we miss the net so much from the point? Our dmen are not bad, other teams are simply effective at getting in the lanes. Stars on every team lay their bodies on the line in the playoffs, and this is what Torts wanted ingrained, but our pufters whine about it. Yzerman, Gilmour, on and on, stars who fought for cups blocked shots. The Sedins were not hurt blocking shots, Kesler was not hurt blocking shots, most of our players were not hurt blocking shots, another wonderful media simpleton view fallacy

I feel one year isn't enough for Torts. I certainly like his honesty and holding players accountable. I do like the idea of Trotz taking the HC spot but I have no substance to support this, just my bias opinion.

Plenty of rumors out there but I didn't get the GM gig. Apparently Mr.Linden was not all that impressed with my results on the coloring book portion of the testing process but he did smile when I shared my drinking stories. Sorry to report that I am no longer in the running for GM of the Canucks.

I feel one year isn't enough for Torts. I certainly like his honesty and holding players accountable. I do like the idea of Trotz taking the HC spot but I have no substance to support this, just my bias opinion.

Plenty of rumors out there but I didn't get the GM gig. Apparently Mr.Linden was not all that impressed with my results on the coloring book portion of the testing process but he did smile when I shared my drinking stories. Sorry to report that I am no longer in the running for GM of the Canucks.

:lol: .. you too, eh? .. I was afraid to submit my finger painting.

It would make sense Jim Benning wouldn't want Mike Sullivan, his previous head coach for the Bruins (who was fired the season after Benning was hired from Buffalo) and Sully's close friend in Torts, coaching his new team. I think this pretty much cements the rumour that JB is our guy.

It would make sense Jim Benning wouldn't want Mike Sullivan, his previous head coach for the Bruins (who was fired the season after Benning was hired from Buffalo) and Sully's close friend in Torts, coaching his new team. I think this pretty much cements the rumour that JB is our guy.

Especially since Linden keeps saying that he wants to hire a GM by early June (meaning before the 13th or so). That's around the date the Stanley Cup final ends which is where Boston should be.

Now it's just who do we think Benning will hire....

2011 Cup loss

2012 first round exit

2013 first round exit

Coach fired

2014 no playoffs

GM fired

Coach fired

no change in players

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting the same result.

Coaching, much like goaltending has never been this team's problem

Interesting to see when / if any players are actually moved since the common denominator in this mess is folks...unfortunately, the players

blame coaches all you want, blame torts all you want. Torts saw a SOFT TEAM PHYSICALLY AND MENTALLY, when he came in here.

he assessed the competition and realized with this lineup his players are going to have to learn to play tougher physically and mentally if they want to win a cup - thus he tried to use the regular season to teach them to play the way they need to, to actually win...which they simply whined about and wilted like the wimps hey are...

if you disagree, you certainly haven't watched the Anaheim/Dallas series, the LA/SJ series, the way Boston plays

just because he has a team full of whiney pufters was not his fault, its the team full of whiney old pufters...

wrong decision

I think the orginization did the right think when they axed AV...he had run his course here and a change wasn't a bad plan. Where they screwed up was hiring an idiot like Torts in the first place. Yes they are replacing the coach for the second year in a row, but I look at it as fixing the mistake that was made last year. Lets hope that this is like fire AV, forget Torts ever happened, and hire the guy that should have been hired last year. People are talking like we have the worst group of players in the league here.

It is not a coincidence the the twins, Burrows, Edler, Booth, etc. had terrible years and looked lost out there more often than not. Too many very capable players on this team were outright terrible under Tort's system. If a coach can't figure out a system for the group of players that he has so they can play to their strengths, there is a problem. Showing up with a system and expecting all the players to fit that system come hell or high water is crazy. Lets play our top guys 20+ minutes a night. Lets have our 4th line guys sit all night and then be critical when we don't look that hot with 3-4 minutes of ice time. Let throw everyone's name in a hat and switch the lines up constantly to ensure that we don't develop any chemistry. We are still a much better team than missing the playoffs by 8 points. It wasn't a soft lazy group of players that was the problem this year, it was an old school my way or the highway coach that was the problem. Torts shouldn't have ever been hired in the first place.

Archived