The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Letter to Season Ticket Holders on Coaching Changes

The-Impersonator

This is what I just received. Good to see they want to create some "buzz" again. Glad to see Sully gone as well.

Dear XXXXX,

Today we are making a significant change in the direction of our team by relieving John Tortorella and Mike Sullivan of their coaching duties. As a Season Ticket Member, I know you are deeply invested in our team and I wanted to connect with you personally. We are grateful to John and Mike for their efforts last season and wish them success with their future endeavors.

This is a fresh start for our team and you’ll see us make some other changes this summer. It starts with how we shape our management and coaching staffs and the roster improvements we’re able to make. Our goal is to be back in the playoffs next spring as we continue developing this group into a team that can challenge for the Stanley Cup.

We’re also committed to making it exciting to watch Canucks games throughout the season. A Season Ticket Member sent me a message recently saying, “We all want ‘The Cup’ of course but we also want to enjoy the ride too.” We’re going to do everything we can to make that happen. We want to put a team on the ice that creates buzz and anticipation in the city on game days. A team that has you planning your week around games and coming early to Rogers Arena to enjoy the atmosphere and to cheer on your Canucks.

I’ll continue to keep you updated this summer as we make key decisions. Thanks as always for your loyalty and support. It’s a privilege I will never take for granted.

Trevor Linden
President of Hockey Operations
Vancouver Canucks

I have full trust in Trev but just hope this isn't a plan where the goal is to be a playoff team and nothing more than that. Because it seems like playoffs is the goal, even if it means dodging a rebuild for the better of the team down the road.

Couldn't have said it better. I have the utmost respect for Torts but this team just doesn't work with him. It was a failed attempt from Mike Gillis to save his own ass, but with the 6th overall pick and the season behind us Im not complaining. Bring on the 2014/2015 Canucks!!

Why was Glen Gulutzan kept? Anyone know why?

Probably because he isn't a Torts guy.

With Torts and Sullivan being carbon copies of each other, I figure that Gulutzan didn't have a ton of influence with regards to coaching decisions. He's not nearly as defensive-minded as those two (at least from what I saw of him in Dallas).

Why was Glen Gulutzan kept? Anyone know why?

A lot of people in the organization spoke very highly of him. Torts referred to him as a "a future star" on more than one occasion. Trevor must have liked what he heard from Gully, and what others have said about him.

Lets bring back Mason Raymond and call it the rebuild.

Cant wait to watch 4 more years of Daniel Sedin at 7 million per.

what a joke.

If you're complaining about the next 4 years of Canucks hockey, go find another team.

A lot of people in the organization spoke very highly of him. Torts referred to him "a future star" on more than one occasion. Trevor must have liked what he heard from Gully, and what others have said about him.

Nice. Thanks for the reply. I'm not wanting the guy fired.

This is what I just received. Good to see they want to create some "buzz" again. Glad to see Sully gone as well.

Dear XXXXX,

Today we are making a significant change in the direction of our team by relieving John Tortorella and Mike Sullivan of their coaching duties. As a Season Ticket Member, I know you are deeply invested in our team and I wanted to connect with you personally. We are grateful to John and Mike for their efforts last season and wish them success with their future endeavors.

This is a fresh start for our team and you’ll see us make some other changes this summer. It starts with how we shape our management and coaching staffs and the roster improvements we’re able to make. Our goal is to be back in the playoffs next spring as we continue developing this group into a team that can challenge for the Stanley Cup.

We’re also committed to making it exciting to watch Canucks games throughout the season. A Season Ticket Member sent me a message recently saying, “We all want ‘The Cup’ of course but we also want to enjoy the ride too.” We’re going to do everything we can to make that happen. We want to put a team on the ice that creates buzz and anticipation in the city on game days. A team that has you planning your week around games and coming early to Rogers Arena to enjoy the atmosphere and to cheer on your Canucks.

I’ll continue to keep you updated this summer as we make key decisions. Thanks as always for your loyalty and support. It’s a privilege I will never take for granted.

Trevor Linden

President of Hockey Operations

Vancouver Canucks

When did you get this? I'm a season-ticket holder and haven't seen a thing?

Perhaps Glen Gulutzan wasn't fired because he is on the list of candidates for Head Coach?

Presumably his type of hockey coaching fits Trevor's plans, or he would be gone.

I can't imagine a new Head Coach being appointed, only to be told right away that he has to keep one of the "old" Assistant Coaches.

I feel confident that if Trevor takes questions after his presser today, one of the first will be "Why has GG not been fired?"

Lets bring back Mason Raymond and call it the rebuild.

Cant wait to watch 4 more years of Daniel Sedin at 7 million per.

what a joke.

Dude - simple solution to your problem...don't watch.

I'm not happy about how the Canucks have spiraled downward, but even though I am a critic most of the times, I love my Canucks.

A lot of people in the organization spoke very highly of him. Torts referred to him as a "a future star" on more than one occasion. Trevor must have liked what he heard from Gully, and what others have said about him.

Agreed. IIRC his name was thrown about for the coaching job after AV

Archived