The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Dale Tallon activley shopping 1st overall pick

this from damian cox's twitter feed

Florida GM Dale Tallon told PTS he is actively shopping the No. 1 pick in this summer's NHL draft. Not just accepting offers - shopping it.

Shouldn't be a surprise.The panthers need to be significantly better next year and while there are good prospects available in this draft, there is still no generational talent to be found (crosby, tavares, stamkos, ect)

My personal thought is that Tallon has found his pick in Ehlers (gone record saying he absolutely loves him as a prospect). Tallon knows Ehlers isn't worthy of a 1st overall pick so he wants to trade down to a spot where Ehlers will still available while also picking up NHL talent that will make Florida better next year.

Sounds like the perfect setting for these 2 teams to make yet another trade with each other. (Van-Fla) Have no idea what Panthers would want other than the 6th pick

They have a lot of good prospect already. I can see them trying to get a Kesler-type of player for it, to play with the kids, rather than doing like Edmonton and keep bringing young players in and fail every year.

Unfortunately, Kesler is pretty much the only Kesler-type player available for this type of deal, and he's not waiving.

For Ekblad, I'd do 6th overall + Edler/Tanev/Corrado + Hansen/Higgins/Schroeder

For Ekblad, I'd do 6th overall + Edler/Tanev/Corrado + Hansen/Higgins/Schroeder

Precisely. If Florida does want to snag Ehlers, they're going to have to look no further down than 8th overall, and there's even a chance he could be gone by then.

Trading down to 6th overall would allow Tallon to definitely select Ehlers, and add players that could significantly improve the Panthers next season.

If I am Linden/the new GM, I am looking at the following deal:

To Vancouver: 1st overall pick

To Florida: 6th overall pick + Jason Garrison (waiving his NTC to go back to the place he had success) + Jannik Hansen + 2015 3rd round pick

This gives Florida Ehlers, a top 4 D man who is a proven success in their team, a speedy winger capable of 40pts in the East, plus a valuable pick in next year's draft.

Florida could get better offers sure, but if Tallon wants Ehlers, this trade improves his D, improves his depth and improves his prospect pool - all for Ekblad. A good deal for both sides imo.

Precisely. If Florida does want to snag Ehlers, they're going to have to look no further down than 8th overall, and there's even a chance he could be gone by then.

Trading down to 6th overall would allow Tallon to definitely select Ehlers, and add players that could significantly improve the Panthers next season.

If I am Linden/the new GM, I am looking at the following deal:

To Vancouver: 1st overall pick

To Florida: 6th overall pick + Jason Garrison (waiving his NTC to go back to the place he had success) + Jannik Hansen + 2015 3rd round pick

This gives Florida Ehlers, a top 4 D man who is a proven success in their team, a speedy winger capable of 40pts in the East, plus a valuable pick in next year's draft.

Florida could get better offers sure, but if Tallon wants Ehlers, this trade improves his D, improves his depth and improves his prospect pool - all for Ekblad. A good deal for both sides imo.

really because this is what i see

they give up first overall for

6th overall

a player that they could have signesigned but elected not to so why would they trade for him?

a struggling speedy third liner that has never had 40pts in his nhl career so I dont know where you got that from

and a mid 3rd round pick who odds are will not turn into a nhl regular.

ya they'd definitely do that

really because this is what i see

they give up first overall for

6th overall

a player that they could have signesigned but elected not to so why would they trade for him?

a struggling speedy third liner that has never had 40pts in his nhl career so I dont know where you got that from

and a mid 3rd round pick who odds are will not turn into a nhl regular.

ya they'd definitely do that

They give up 1st overall for:

1. A player they wanted to keep but who wanted to test the UFA market, signed to a good contract and who is proven to be a success in their team.

2. Hansen's speed and hands would see him score more in the East, where the game is much less physical. Playing with one of Florida's young centres I could see him approaching 50pts. The East is a much better place for fast wingers, instead of getting battered by the Ducks, Sharks, Blues etc he'd be up against teams like the Rags, Devils, Canes - not nearly as physical.

3. A 3rd round pick which would be extremely useful to the Panthers. The 2015 draft is so hyped that if they want to move up, that 3rd is the perfect addition to a deal.

If you notice, I didn't say 'this is what Tallon should do' - this is only if the 'Tallon wants Ehlers' rumours are true. He can't afford to drop down to 9th overall, hoping the kid is still available - he needs to be absolutely certain about Ehlers' availability, and dropping to 6th guarantees that.

None of these playerss are even close to Nathan Mackinnon.

Have you seen the caliber of players the previous #1 draft picks have been though? All of them are All-Stars except for maybe Yakupov and Johnson. To me, what Tallon is doing is taunting other GMs to make an offer that he can not refuse. Which obviously will be way too expensive to even consider.

They give up 1st overall for:

1. A player they wanted to keep but who wanted to test the UFA market, signed to a good contract and who is proven to be a success in their team.

2. Hansen's speed and hands would see him score more in the East, where the game is much less physical. Playing with one of Florida's young centres I could see him approaching 50pts. The East is a much better place for fast wingers, instead of getting battered by the Ducks, Sharks, Blues etc he'd be up against teams like the Rags, Devils, Canes - not nearly as physical.

3. A 3rd round pick which would be extremely useful to the Panthers. The 2015 draft is so hyped that if they want to move up, that 3rd is the perfect addition to a deal.

If you notice, I didn't say 'this is what Tallon should do' - this is only if the 'Tallon wants Ehlers' rumours are true. He can't afford to drop down to 9th overall, hoping the kid is still available - he needs to be absolutely certain about Ehlers' availability, and dropping to 6th guarantees that.

hey I dont have to agree with you man. I dont see that an adequate package to pull that pick from Florida. wven if they really are shopping it.

Have you seen the caliber of players the previous #1 draft picks have been though? All of them are All-Stars except for maybe Yakupov and Johnson. To me, what Tallon is doing is taunting other GMs to make an offer that he can not refuse. Which obviously will be way too expensive to even consider.

This is the one.

NHL GM's : What? The 1st overall is available? Take our fist line and top pick in the draft!

Tallon hopes, that is.

i wonder if kesler could be convinced to go there with luongo being there, the team on the rise, and if he's promised the captaincy when jovo retires after next season. i would do kesler straight up for the first overall, but doing that i'd be tempted to draft reinhart instead of ekblad.

Trevor said Eckblad is the only true highend D-man in the draft so maybe he covets him enough to go after him. The Canucks have been a trade partner for years with Florida even before Gillis arrived. Tallon being an original Canuck and Trevor being the consummate Canuck might make something work, here's hoping.

Archived