The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Dale Tallon activley shopping 1st overall pick

The thing that bothers me about this is that Tallon is a snake. He is a very slippery GM. Ever since he went to Florida, all he has been doing is screwing us. The Higgins trade worked out, but in no way did the others. Booth and Reinprecht...dumped 6.5 in salary on us. I don't want him screwing this team again. Furthermore, he has a great eye for talent. I see all the experts on CDC counting out Ehlers before he steps on the NHL ice. If Tallon likes this player enough to attempt to trade down for him, he will probably end up being a better player than has been let on. We should probably draft him.

100% agree with this. Tallon is amazing at drafting, if hes willing to trade to select ehlers then you know its for a reason

IF Ehlers is the guy FLA wants then they don't can't expect something outrages going back their way. Ehlers is a top 8 pick? That means FLA only has 7 teams they can deal with.

You have to also consider Ekblad isn't a clear cut favourite in the first place so it depends on what other teams are looking for.

Then, you can cross BUF out, why would BUF give up the farm to move up 1 spot, Calgary doesn't have/any assets to send FLA, TOR at number 8 is two risky as Ehlers could very well be pick by then

So then you'd be left with

EDM #3, NYI #5, VAN#6, CAR#7

Only 4 teams who are willing to play ball, EDM clearly wants Ekblad but at what cost are they going to pay to move up 2 spots, especially for a guy that may fall to them. I don't even know if Ekblad is that high on NYI list I can see them wanting to pair up the brothers?

So all in all, if the goal is for FLA to pick up Ehlers, than all I see the 1st overall moving for is a first round pick and a roster player.

Jason Garrison might. He's not had a good time here, and the only reason he didn't sign with Florida is because he wanted more than they wanted to give him. I bet he'd strongly consider it.

you need to start to look at reality.

1. Florida will not trade their first over all pick for someone who they could have re-signed in the past.

2. Jason Garrison will not want to go back because he's finally at home in Vancouver. Also he is much closer to his girlfriend in Vancovuer than Flordia.

Must because you say it enough time, it won't make things real..

The thing that bothers me about this is that Tallon is a snake. He is a very slippery GM. Ever since he went to Florida, all he has been doing is screwing us. The Higgins trade worked out, but in no way did the others. Booth and Reinprecht...dumped 6.5 in salary on us. I don't want him screwing this team again. Furthermore, he has a great eye for talent. I see all the experts on CDC counting out Ehlers before he steps on the NHL ice. If Tallon likes this player enough to attempt to trade down for him, he will probably end up being a better player than has been let on. We should probably draft him.

Booth and Reinprecht.... and a 3rd (cassels)

Im not convinced that pick gets moved. The price will be high. I could however see Edmonton make a serious play for Ekblad.

I have a hard time believing we'll be able to out bid them....

There is a better chance that we could acquire that #3 pick if traded to Florida, and then take Reinhart...

There seems to be a lot of chatter that Ekblad and Bennett will indeed go top 2. Im hearing a lot of scouts comparing his game to Gilmore and Toews. Very well rounded and high end offensive potential. Ekblad being compared to Hedman. Reinhart at 3 is a target the Canucks could be in on.

Everything else really hinges on the Kesler deal. I think theyll ultimately move him, but the return will have implications on what other moves they make.

I still think going after Pouliot whos tearing up the WHL playoffs (4g, 26 pts in 14 gp), would be a huge move in going back to that puck control system, and give the PP its first QB since Ehrhoff. Scooping up a pure PMD and PPQB should be of the up most importance for the re-tool of this team.

I feel like 6th overall + Tanev + Jensen is an overpayment... The most I'd part with is 6th + Tanev + Archibald or 6th + Garrison (if he waives) + Jensen. They're looking for big wingers and I feel like Archie can play with any one of their numerous offensively talented centres to give a physical edge and get on the scoresheet every once in a while, granted that could happen a year or 2 down the road but still a future that they could be looking forward to.

you need to start to look at reality.

1. Florida will not trade their first over all pick for someone who they could have re-signed in the past.

2. Jason Garrison will not want to go back because he's finally at home in Vancouver. Also he is much closer to his girlfriend in Vancovuer than Flordia.

Must because you say it enough time, it won't make things real..

1. They couldn't have re-signed him in the past. He wanted to test the UFA market. He never gave them the option.

2. I moved back to my home town after 20 years away - work was rubbish and I moved again. Garrison's not played well for us and he did enjoy playing in Florida. I didn't say he WOULD waive, but if anyone here thinks he wouldn't even consider it, they're mad.

1. They couldn't have re-signed him in the past. He wanted to test the UFA market. He never gave them the option.

2. I moved back to my home town after 20 years away - work was rubbish and I moved again. Garrison's not played well for us and he did enjoy playing in Florida. I didn't say he WOULD waive, but if anyone here thinks he wouldn't even consider it, they're mad.

so here's what you think happened in a nutshell. you think garrison wouldnt listen to Florida's offers because he wanted the hell out of dodge. and you believe that Florida would trade for that guy back... trade the first overall for someone that they had...

your little post/prediction/proposal or whatever the hell it is, is not realistic. the only person who cant see that is yourself.

I think Linden would be smart to not go after the FLA #1 this year since it will require a massive over payment to get it and again depletes the cupboard of younger players that the team desperately needs.

Makes the most sense to keep 6th and see how the year is turning out next year and if the team is out of the playoffs then see who is willing to waive their ntc. If Pitts doesnt make the finals again see if shero is willing to do 1st Poulliott and Bennett for Kes+.

Let Tallon keep 1st this year and see if he really wants Ehlers that means a top 5 guy falls to us

No way in hell are we getting Ekblad. Other teams will easily outbid us.

IF Kesler wants to leave (and I don't think he does) I would settle for Pouliot, 2015 1st and a roster player. Not a bad substitute of a deal instead of a potential Ekblad deal.

Imagine if we got Pouliot, shipped out Edler, Hansen and Kesler... And got Stasny.

Sedin Sedin Jensen

Booth Stasny Kassian

Burrows Santo Horvat

Higgins Matthias Richardson

Any roster player we got back from the Kesler deal with Pittsburgh could replace Richardson/ Matthias/santo. These three are adaptable on those bottom lines.

Ship Edler out for a high draft pick (2015) and a decent RELIABLE bottom pairing D.

Ship Hansen out for a 2015 pick.

Sestito/Schroeder/ Richardson depth. ( if Richardson is replaced on that fourth line)

Hamhuis Bieksa

Garrison Tanev

(Edler trade) Stanton

Corrado

Weber

Pouliot ready for 2016.

Reason I kept booth is he had a decent end to last season and that line could hurt to play against.

Third line is a high tempo hustle style. Horvat to play RW to learn the pro game.

Fourth line is again a hustle style with decent size. Replace Richardson if necessary.

No fourth line playing 3-5 minutes with that team.

And we get a bit younger.

That work?

1. They could have if they want him enough, or Garrison actually wanted to stay in Florida.

2. Just because you move again because your salary based job was rubbish, it doesn't mean a dude who is making 4.6 mil a year in his hometown wants to move again after scoring team high among defensemen.

just how self centered are you if you can actually believe Florida will trade their first over all pick around Garrison and a 6th??

No way in hell are we getting Ekblad. Other teams will easily outbid us.

IF Kesler wants to leave (and I don't think he does) I would settle for Pouliot, 2015 1st and a roster player. Not a bad substitute of a deal instead of a potential Ekblad deal.

Imagine if we got Pouliot, shipped out Edler, Hansen and Kesler... And got Stasny.

Sedin Sedin Jensen

Booth Stasny Kassian

Burrows Santo Horvat

Higgins Matthias Richardson

Any roster player we got back from the Kesler deal with Pittsburgh could replace Richardson/ Matthias/santo. These three are adaptable on those bottom lines.

Ship Edler out for a high draft pick (2015) and a decent RELIABLE bottom pairing D.

Ship Hansen out for a 2015 pick.

Sestito/Schroeder/ Richardson depth. ( if Richardson is replaced on that fourth line)

Hamhuis Bieksa

Garrison Tanev

(Edler trade) Stanton

Corrado

Weber

Pouliot ready for 2016.

Reason I kept booth is he had a decent end to last season and that line could hurt to play against.

Third line is a high tempo hustle style. Horvat to play RW to learn the pro game.

Fourth line is again a hustle style with decent size. Replace Richardson if necessary.

No fourth line playing 3-5 minutes with that team.

And we get a bit younger.

That work?

You lost me with Booth on the 2nd line..

Not a shocker, I said a few weeks ago they should do this. They really don't need Ekblad, so if they can pick up another elite young player or another 1st to drop back a few spots why not?

If they took Jones last year then I would agree but IMO they need a guy like Ekblad since they're already stocked up on forward prospects.

Archived