The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Province Article: 11 coaches who could be behind the Vancouver Canucks’ bench next season

zipzap2013

why is there no talk of Ron wilson? i like coaches that have been around the league a lot and have had some time off from the last job...its why i was calling for paul maurice before we got torts.. and he started his coaching career with vancouver. bring back Ron!!!

No recycled coaches. What is with this fascination for past coaches or coaches like Wilson who got their start in Vancouver and fans wanting them return. Nostalgic I guess.

They needs to start over from scratch with fresh and new people from top to bottom.

My previous post aside, I'm surprised that no one is really talking about the idea of giving Travis Green a good long interview!

Considering how he turned Utica around and made a hard run at making the playoffs after dropping the first 10 was pretty impressive. He had a pretty shallow talent group down there to work with considering the results he got!

Trotz is a good coach, but I'm not sold that he's the right fit for us long term. It seems like his forte getting the best out of a group of untalented players. Our team is talented (in theory anyways, hopefully we will get back to that in a few years). He could be good for now, but I would assume the Canucks are looking for elite talent, and I'm not sure Trotz' mentality and skills would fit that type of group.

Excellent article, thanks OP.

Of the 11 "candidates" listed, the one who seems to truly stand out, in my opinion, is Jeff Blashill.

I think he could be the breath of fresh air which this franchise needs after AV and Torts.

Linden/Benning/Blashill could be the recipe for success.

Jeff's record of nurturing young talent seems to be first class - just look at the players the Redwings have brought up this year.

Yes, you need to have the talent in the first place, but if players aren't developed properly, it makes no difference how talented you might have been!

I have every respect for the likes of Barry Trotz and Todd McClellan, but I would like to see the Canucks branch out in a new direction, to bring future success and an exciting brand of hockey we all want to see..

Trotz is a good coach, but I'm not sold that he's the right fit for us long term. It seems like his forte getting the best out of a group of untalented players. Our team is talented (in theory anyways, hopefully we will get back to that in a few years). He could be good for now, but I would assume the Canucks are looking for elite talent, and I'm not sure Trotz' mentality and skills would fit that type of group.

he's coached a couple of elite predators teams over the years.

i think its silly to pigeon hole the guy just because he's only ever worked for a small budget team. he's an excellent coach, and the way he approaches coaching reminds me of pat quinn. he's a teacher and a father figure, and players love playing for him.

i think he's exactly the guy the canucks need to help rebuild the core's confidence. he manages to demand effort and results while being gentle, and regardless of whether you think its a sign of weakness or whatever, this group needs a gentle hand. their confidence was shattered after 2011. av couldn't fix it. tortorella came in and kicked the pile of debris into the gutter. they need someone pat them on the back and convince them to get back up on the horse.

that's barry trotz, without a doubt.

do you not remember the trap game he threw out there that got him fired?? or him going bananas on the bench he was crazier than torts... but most canuck fans would love him because he always went crazy on the refs and it was always the refs fault ... torts actually held his players accountable and this fan base doesnt like that its never the players fault...

Non-sense.

My previous post aside, I'm surprised that no one is really talking about the idea of giving Travis Green a good long interview!

Considering how he turned Utica around and made a hard run at making the playoffs after dropping the first 10 was pretty impressive. He had a pretty shallow talent group down there to work with considering the results he got!

Too young. I still remember Travis Green playing for the Leafs a few years ago.

Too young. I still remember Travis Green playing for the Leafs a few years ago.

Yep .. he needs to move up as an Asst. Coach in a year or two, and let him continue to 'grow' with the kids he will be coaching up here.

12. Emilio Estevez

Pros: Brought a bunch of blue chip prospects with little to no potential and made them strong contenders. Lovable personality, outside of the box thinking, and scouts his own prospects.

Cons: Probably isn't a real coach.

Edit: Aladeen has brought to my attention the legendary flying V. Another Pro to Emilio. How could I forget?

More Cons: An alcoholic who sleeps with his star player's mom.

Thankyou for the effort

+1 :)

I take Guy Boucher . He is a players coach and likes to play a wide open uptempo style. We may not win every game but at least it will be fun to watch.

Boucher is the 1-3-1 guy whose system prompted the ole "stand still with the puck for 45 sec" incident. I hope he never coaches again. He's what's wrong with hockey (over coaching).

I really think Johnston is the best fit right now.

Offensive, good with youngsters, calm and intelligent. He a modern, systems coach. Perfect for our team.

His experience in the city and organization means he should settle into the role easily.

His lack of head coaching experience in the NHL would not be a concern for me. He has experience working with professionals.

I agree, I've met him on several occassions at conferences and he's got a great hockey mind and calm demeanor. If Not Trotz, he would be my next choice.

he's coached a couple of elite predators teams over the years.

i think its silly to pigeon hole the guy just because he's only ever worked for a small budget team. he's an excellent coach, and the way he approaches coaching reminds me of pat quinn. he's a teacher and a father figure, and players love playing for him.

i think he's exactly the guy the canucks need to help rebuild the core's confidence. he manages to demand effort and results while being gentle, and regardless of whether you think its a sign of weakness or whatever, this group needs a gentle hand. their confidence was shattered after 2011. av couldn't fix it. tortorella came in and kicked the pile of debris into the gutter. they need someone pat them on the back and convince them to get back up on the horse.

that's barry trotz, without a doubt.

That's a great analogy. I agree completely that Trotz stable hand could bring this organization together. It's amazing how much brighter things seem with the dark clouds over this team mostly removed.

I agree, I've met him on several occassions at conferences and he's got a great hockey mind and calm demeanor. If Not Trotz, he would be my next choice.

i've been pushing the idea a lot lately, but trotz as head coach with johnston running the offense and special teams would be excellent. i just don't know if johnston would be interested in coming back to the nhl in an assistant/associate role.

Archived