The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Province Article: 11 coaches who could be behind the Vancouver Canucks’ bench next season

zipzap2013

i've been pushing the idea a lot lately, but trotz as head coach with johnston running the offense and special teams would be excellent. i just don't know if johnston would be interested in coming back to the nhl in an assistant/associate role.

I don't think so, he's got a pretty good gig in Portland. He's got carte blanche and a paycheque to match.

Boucher is the 1-3-1 guy whose system prompted the ole "stand still with the puck for 45 sec" incident. I hope he never coaches again. He's what's wrong with hockey (over coaching).

Agreed.....Linden and Co would induce some serious flack for a hire like Boucher....Im sure there's a reason why he hasn't even been considered for an NHL head coaching job since TB.

Trotz for me.

I'd say Trotz as the head coach and the Bruins assistant coach as our assistant coach. We need to leach off of that cup winning franchise. If we could get their assistant GM and assistant coach then we would be on our way to contention. Then the next step would be duping Chia pet to give us Hamilton and Lucic.

There's a reason why some coaches are often fired and others stay with one team long-term. The Canucks must not take another gamble on a controversial coach. If you can find even one legitimate con about a potential coach, stay away. Conversely, guys like Trotz and McLellan do not become available often, and for good reason. They are intelligent, knowledgeable, likable and positive. And balanced. They don't do anything the weird way. They don't make goalies into team captains. They don't storm dressing rooms. They don't bring disgrace and ridicule to their organizations. If SJ lets McLellan go, I say we snap him up right quick. I think Trotz is also an excellent coach who is able to work with what he has got. I don't buy into the idea that he's only able to coach lesser talent and budget teams. If he is intelligent, and all signs suggest he is, then he won't have a problem transitioning to a team with a different build.

A lot of people are calling for a current (or previous) NHL assistant coach to get the nod as the Canucks head coach. This could potentially work out very well. If we're lucky, we find another Babcock, McLellan or Trotz. If we're less lucky, we find another Crawford or Boucher. If we're not lucky at all, we find another Tony Granato, Bryan Trottier, Bruce Cassidy, John Paddock or (for old time Canucks fans) Bill LaForge! The odds of great success are not very high with "experiments". It's much more likely that a newly promoted head coach will struggle and make mistakes. Also, it's important to remember that our team president is a rookie and it's likely that our new GM will be a rookie. Do we really want a rookie head coach too? To me, that's asking for another disaster. And this organization can't afford to take that risk right now, in my opinion.

But the absolute worst possible idea would be to hire a coach (or GM) with a blemished track record. The Canucks need credibility and balance, and that can only happen by making smart choices with lower risk.

Boucher is the 1-3-1 guy whose system prompted the ole "stand still with the puck for 45 sec" incident. I hope he never coaches again. He's what's wrong with hockey (over coaching).

what do you mean non-sense? guy boucher is responsible for the worst game of hockey ever played...did you completely forget about that fiasco?

Agreed.....Linden and Co would induce some serious flack for a hire like Boucher....Im sure there's a reason why he hasn't even been considered for an NHL head coaching job since TB.

This whole 1-3-1 talk is silly. It was Phili's fault for not advancing the puck.

Why don't you watch some highlights of his 2011 Tampa in the ECF? It's exciting hockey. And Tampa was one goal away from beating the Bruins that year.

Frigging character assassination based on one youtube video thats not even his fault.

I'm willing to wait until a GM is signed, and then he can make the choice.

regards,

G.

There could only be a short window of opportunity to grab a prime coach ...even before the new GM arrives?..That's the question/issue here..!

There could only be a short window of opportunity to grab a prime coach ...even before the new GM arrives?..That's the question/issue here..!

Yup. And Linden has said that he wants the GM to at least have input on the new coach, hasn't he? (Or that is what I recall.) And as I see it, the only way that such a thing can occur is if the team waits until a new GM is hired.

If Linden hires a guy without input from the new coach, then he may as well have kept Tortorella. Maybe the next GM is a fan Tortorella...

regards,

G.

Yup. And Linden has said that he wants the GM to at least have input on the new coach, hasn't he? (Or that is what I recall.) And as I see it, the only way that such a thing can occur is if the team waits until a new GM is hired.

If Linden hires a guy without input from the new coach, then he may as well have kept Tortorella. Maybe the next GM is a fan Tortorella...

regards,

G.

I bet he will start interviewing GM, asking them what they would look for in a coach getting it down to a short list of acceptable candidates so when GM is hired they decide on one.

regards,

G.

Jay Feaster..lol

Linden needs to be patient if the GM of his choice is with a team that's still in the playoffs. The idea is that the GM and Coach of the VC will be here for a long time to complete the rebuild. Waiting a few extra weeks to get the guy you want is well worth it. No need to rush into something you regret two years down the road

Linden needs to be patient if the GM of his choice is with a team that's still in the playoffs. The idea is that the GM and Coach of the VC will be here for a long time to complete the rebuild. Waiting a few extra weeks to get the guy you want is well worth it. No need to rush into something you regret two years down the road

Trevor can have a hand shake agreement with a Benning or somebody still in the playoffs and hire a coach base on that soon-to-be-GM's advice.

regards,

G.

Maybe, but the fact that Trevor fired him anyways goes to show how much he wants him gone and how confident he is of his decision.

This whole 1-3-1 talk is silly. It was Phili's fault for not advancing the puck.

Why don't you watch some highlights of his 2011 Tampa in the ECF? It's exciting hockey. And Tampa was one goal away from beating the Bruins that year.

Frigging character assassination based on one youtube video thats not even his fault.

I agree that Boucher is probably more than a one trick pony, but this was much more than character assassination based apon one youtube video. It was the talk of the playoffs that year and Yzerman was so embarrassed after the exposure to the incident on national television he personally apologized to the Flyers management afterwards

no, av came to town because carlyle signed in anaheim. the canucks received a 2nd round pick as compensation

The Canucks then traded that 2nd at the trade deadline, to the Kings for Brent Sopel by Nonis

The Kings drafted Wayne Simmonds with that pick. :picard:

Archived