The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Province Article: 11 coaches who could be behind the Vancouver Canucks’ bench next season

zipzap2013

I respect what Tortz accomplished in Nashville but I don't see him as the right fit for this team. He is a defensive style coach (and was largely out of necessity in Nashville) but unless there are serious roster changes he will have to be one in Van too.

I want someone with NHL head coaching experience that was not just a cup of coffee though. And not someone who has no experience as an NHL head coach. This group of players (despite what Canucks fans want to admit) are turning into coach killers and need someone who has the experience and ability to get them going. Because unfortunately Linden sounds like he believes in this core still....:(

Trevor can have a hand shake agreement with a Benning or somebody still in the playoffs and hire a coach base on that soon-to-be-GM's advice.

The hand shake thing is possible but I would think the new GM will want to interview all the coaching candidates before hiring one. Hiring a coach can wait till after the draft and F/A signing date. There is no need to rush into either decision.

three i wouldn't even interview are mclallen, trotz and especially muller ( kirk a cbc n tsn fave: look how dallas eakins turned out, boy did they pump up his tires ). muller has had ample time to turn around the canes in the weaker east and pfffft, trotz seems so nashville and has had little success,it doesn't seem right for some reason to fit our team and mclallen is another one of those coaches who will get re-cycled in the bigs achieving exactly what he has in san jose pffft, i'd take hitchcock if he became available.

if the canucks select benning as their new gm, then it's reasonable to think doug houda makes the shortlist, i'm opened minded to a point but i know what i don't like and it's those three!

three i wouldn't even interview are mclallen, trotz and especially muller ( kirk a cbc n tsn fave: look how dallas eakins turned out, boy did they pump up his tires ). muller has had ample time to turn around the canes in the weaker east and pfffft, trotz seems so nashville and has had little success,it doesn't seem right for some reason to fit our team and mclallen is another one of those coaches who will get re-cycled in the bigs achieving exactly what he has in san jose pffft, i'd take hitchcock if he became available.

if the canucks select benning as their new gm, then it's reasonable to think doug houda makes the shortlist, i'm opened minded to a point but i know what i don't like and it's those three!

rookie coach, rookie gm, rookie president: recipe for success.

Thankyou for the effort

+1 :)

I take Guy Boucher . He is a players coach and likes to play a wide open uptempo style. We may not win every game but at least it will be fun to watch.

Edit: Nvm, this guy addressed it already.

Boucher is the 1-3-1 guy whose system prompted the ole "stand still with the puck for 45 sec" incident. I hope he never coaches again. He's what's wrong with hockey (over coaching).

Apologies.

Trotz is just perfect.

People pointing to the defensive style couldn't even name Nashville's top 6 the past 8 years,

Lack of scoring because of coaching style is laughable, it's because Fisher and Hornvquist are your 1stl ine loool

Yup. And Linden has said that he wants the GM to at least have input on the new coach, hasn't he? (Or that is what I recall.) And as I see it, the only way that such a thing can occur is if the team waits until a new GM is hired.

If Linden hires a guy without input from the new coach, then he may as well have kept Tortorella. Maybe the next GM is a fan Tortorella...

regards,

G.

A quick text to Bennings should solve that.

Linden: So Benning, which coach should I hire before your arrival?

Benning: Trotz

Linden: Ok, I will get on that

Trotz is just perfect.

People pointing to the defensive style couldn't even name Nashville's top 6 the past 8 years,

Lack of scoring because of coaching style is laughable, it's because Fisher and Hornvquist are your 1stl ine loool

No kidding....Trotz gets the most out of his players. He could probably coach a high school hockey team to an NHL playoff.

AHL coaches rarely have success out of nowhere. Look at the remaining playoff teams, especially the contenders - they all have long term NHL coaches. Boudreau is a great example of a great coach who was with a poorly constructed team in Washington, but behind the bench of a well-put together team is having success.

We could have similar success with Trotz or even Guy Boucher.

A quick text to Bennings should solve that.

Linden: So Benning, which coach should I hire before your arrival?

Benning: Trotz

Linden: Ok, I will get on that

I was literally thinking to myself if benning and linden are as close as we think, how easy would it be for benning to secretly interview with linden at some point and if Trotz is available how much indecision from hiring him could there be if Linden just sent him a text saying gonna hire Trotz lool

just something magical

Linden 20 years experience as a Player 0 as a president

Benning 10 years as a player 20 years as a scout/management

Trotz 30+ years as a coach

When you have a century of experience in hockey managing your team good things happen

I agree that Boucher is probably more than a one trick pony, but this was much more than character assassination based apon one youtube video. It was the talk of the playoffs that year and Yzerman was so embarrassed after the exposure to the incident on national television he personally apologized to the Flyers management afterwards

Boucher: "My 1-3-1 is impregnable..."

I respect what Tortz accomplished in Nashville but I don't see him as the right fit for this team. He is a defensive style coach (and was largely out of necessity in Nashville) but unless there are serious roster changes he will have to be one in Van too.

I want someone with NHL head coaching experience that was not just a cup of coffee though. And not someone who has no experience as an NHL head coach. This group of players (despite what Canucks fans want to admit) are turning into coach killers and need someone who has the experience and ability to get them going. Because unfortunately Linden sounds like he believes in this core still.... :(

I'd like to think that Trev understands his hands are tied with respect to moving some of these core player and that being the case, he's not going to go out of his way to verbalize anything other than he still believes in the core.

As for Trotz, given Linden is essentially stuck with that stale core and since most of our top prospects are likely not quite ready for primetime, I'd argue that Trotz may be a perfect fit for this current group for the next few years as he'd provide structure and is likely well respected by our vets who've had to play against him for most of their careers.

Here's a good little read about him as a candidate:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/globe-on-hockey/could-barry-trotz-be-a-fit-in-vancouver-or-toronto/article17958988/

"Could he be a fit in Vancouver, for example, if the Canucks ultimately decide to part ways with John Tortorella? Trotz has all of Tortorella’s experience, but a far greater ability to work with players and get the most out of them. If the plan in Vancouver is to retool rather than rebuild and hope the Sedins bounce back in a meaningful way, then Trotz could be a good choice.

Generally, Nashville has played a style of hockey that heavily emphasizes defence throughout Trotz’s career, but they also play fast and they forecheck hard. And Trotz has that so-hard-to-identify intangible that you need to coach players in this era – the ability to be tough when needed, but he can also be disarming with them as well. Most Nashville players – and the Canucks’ Dan Hamhuis got a long look at Trotz during the first six years of his career, when he played for the Predators – enjoyed the experience of playing for him."

I want someone with NHL head coaching experience that was not just a cup of coffee though. And not someone who has no experience as an NHL head coach. This group of players (despite what Canucks fans want to admit) are turning into coach killers and need someone who has the experience and ability to get them going. Because unfortunately Linden sounds like he believes in this core still.... :(

Well you at least got warm on the bolded section,

He's as much of a "defensive coach" as A.V. was before his team/players won scoring titles, presidents cups and went to the finals.

Trotz is clearly the best choice if he still wants to coach.

If Benning ends up our GM and he brings one of Boston's coaches with him, I'd be keen on Doug Jarvis.

- won cups with Montreal in 1976, 1977, 1978 and 1979 as part of a top PK alongside Bob Gainey

- 1984 Selke winner

- all time NHL ironman record holder (never missed a game in entire career)

- Stanley cup finalist as an assistant in 1991 and 2000

- Stanley cup winner as an assistant in 1999 and 2011 (hired by the Bruins after suffering a reverse sweep to the Flyers)

Archived