The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Province Article: 11 coaches who could be behind the Vancouver Canucks’ bench next season

zipzap2013

Trotz has never had anyone close to the talent of the Sedins and Kesler except Weber.

Fisher, Hornquist, Legwand, Erat, Arnott, Dumont, Ward

LOL

"Offensive Problems"

I repeat,

LOL

Let's give him a shot with some real players, and the plethora of young studs about to emerge, oh ya that 6th overall pick too.

Preds had more talent than just those guys.

Suter <--I would put him pretty damn close to Weber in skill.

Hamhuis <-- Could have been a factor for Canucks had he been healthy in SCF 2011

Timonen

Hartnell <-- Look ma, a decent forward

You would think that Nashville could bother to develop some good forwards, considering all the great defensemen they have had over the years. Trotz has a lot to do with that.

Also sorry, but 'LOL' is not a well thought out argument.

Trotz is a lot like Jacques Lemaire or Darryl Sutter (Except not as accomplished). Defensive hockey works if you have the players, but the Canucks don't have those types of players. There is no Scott Stevens or Niedermayer or Drew Doughty on this team.

The Canucks need a guy that can get the them playing a speedy puck possession game. A style where the PP is actually formidable, or at least acceptable.

If I want some young stars to emerge, I wouldn't pick Trotz. He's the guy you would pick if you have no talent and want to trap your way into the playoffs. As a fan, would I want to see that? No thanks.

I wouldn't mind a defensive system, so I woulnd't mind trotz, I prefer a coach that is not always dropping the F bombs behind the bench. someone that is a calm cool, and a teacher, rather then a Tyrant. In the end I wouldn'd mind Jaque Martin, or even Andy Murray. I woulnd't mind John Stevens, at this point, he probably have seen the effectiveness of L.A current system, of course the gm will build a roster towards that type of style.

Here's what I don't get- we keep Gulutzan but what if the new coach wants his own assistants? Then what he gets let go? Has to keep him?

He's good with young players but it doesn't make any sense why they've kept him for now until new coach is hired, comes in and decides he doesn't want him. There must be something more to it.

Should have been Stevens last yr. It should be Stevens this yr. Hopefully Benning will ducktape Aquilini's mouth this summer and hire who he wants.

This team does not need another "old school, fail to understand it's a new NHL" coach like Torts or Trotz. They need a younger, innovative coach who can relate with players and use/apply advanced stats into their coaching. McLellan, Sutter, Julien, Quenville all use/apply advanced stats - it's why their teams are all top puck possession teams. Stevens comes from that train of thought.

Bring me Stevens once and for all.

Yeah man.

Add Boucher to the list as well. Benning had a good look at him in 2011 and for all you know has him in his internal list of potential coaches.

Trotz or Mclellan. Hire one of the young guys to be their protege.

Trotz's downside makes no sense.

EDIT: The coach can't be budget conscious. That's not his job. It's the GM's job. Trotz did an amazing job with what he head in Nashville. Anyone who says otherwise is an idiot. That being said I don't think Trotz is the right coach for the Canucks.

Agreed with the 1st statement. I do think he can the right coach though, esp. after reading this

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capitals-insider/wp/2014/05/12/barry-trotz-interested-in-capitals-coaching-vacancy-eager-for-next-challenge/

“I think I’m very adaptable. When we had Paul Kariya for a couple years and we were a little deeper at forward we were a pretty high scoring team,” Trotz said, referencing two seasons (2005-2007) in which the Predators averaged more than three goals per game. “You need balance and if you have dynamic people – I’ve always tried to assess the talent and say ‘Okay, how can we get better as a group and how can we win hockey games?’ I’ve played a number of different systems based on our personnel but I like the personnel to dictate the strength. In Nashville, our strength was in net and defense. So our team would take the personality of the top players and that was most often on the back end.”

In 2006-07, they scored 60 more goals than they gave up, and they had the likes of Paul Kariya (76 pts. in 82), J.P. Dumont (66/82), David Legwand (63/78), Steve Sullivan (60/57), as well as Timonen (55/80), Arnott (54/ 68), Hartnell (39/64), Radulov (37/64) and Forsberg (15/17)... so with that kind of scoring depth and the goalie combo of Tomas Vokoun and Chris Mason they went for 51 regular season wins. I'd trust him to rejuvenate the forwards and he may be able to help Edler if he can help all of those defensemen in Nashville. More importantly, that point about him only working with weaker talents is pretty much moot with those stats.

Cross Todd McLellan off the list. He's staying in San Jose.

Smart move by them. I do not think he is the problem for their playoff woes. Team leadership is the issue IMO.... Joe Thornton is not going to lead you to a Stanley Cup

Archived