The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2016 1st, 2nd and 3rd round draft picks

J.I.A.H.N

I have been arguing with myself over the question whether is would be wise to use our 2016 picks to move up this and next years draft ?

My arguement comes from whether trading our 2016 picks for improved draft position in the next 2 drafts is worth the risk of loosing out on a real good pick in 2016?

Personally, I lean towards trading them away for improved position ( using the quality over quantity arguement)

Example:

Trade

2014 - 1st rounder + 2016 2nd + Cole Cassels for the 2014 (4th overall )

( Reason Calagary may do this is they are targetting Richie and are willing to take the risk of loosing him 2 picks away) + (The reason Vancouver does this is it guarantees a choice of 2

of the top 5 picks)

Then a year later: Trade our 2015 1st rounder and our 2016 1st rounder to a team further up the 2015 first round ladder.

In both cases, this improves our quality of our picks and allows us to speed up our rebuild, as usually the picks closer to the number one are more NHL ready and of higher quality

Admittedly....BIG RISK

To me this isn't about the Trades but whether the strategy works?

I'm not sure if I'd trade picks in 2016 to move up in what is supposed to be a weak draft year. If you dangle guys like Hansen and Move up with that then you do it.

I would however be willing to trade the 2016 first to move up into a good spot for the 2015 draft

You're going to get crapped on for not putting this is the right place.

Anyways, I wouldn't want to trade our 2015 OR 2016 draft picks. If we're going into a rebuild (hopefully we are) then we're likely getting a top5-10 pick. 2015 is a deep, deep draft w/ lots of stars and it might be the best draft since 2003. 2016 is also said to be a pretty good draft as well. I don't even want to keep the 6th we have this year because this years draft isn't the strongest outside of the top 3/5.

Jakob Chychrun.

IF we are bad on our own merit next year for a lottery pick so be it. If we are just as bad in 2016 even better.

A shot at a potential franchise player in 2015 is solid, but a potential generational D man by all accounts is...well. Ya

Doubtful we will be that bad though. I dread playing fast and loose with our picks and prospects at this stage

You are asking if this strategy works, when the most straightforward answer is to look at the past 10 years and see which team "traded up" and got a star player worthwhile for them.

Actually, i dont even recall a single trade in the past where a team "traded up". Except for the Sedins trade, which was special because they were twins and played together.

This why I don't think this question should be locked, and that is because question isn't who or how many, only if there is value in doing it. I have arguements on both sides and have not really resolved it myself.

One of my problems for having this problem is Florida and Edmonton, who repeatedly place close to picking first over all every year, but get no stronger.......my take on them is they keep chasing next year and don't want to add veterans UFA's, which is what several of the post above this seem to indicate we do.

I am more for condensing our picks and getting a much high and therefore better picks. The risk is always in how well you evaluate your picks and how you evaluate your team.......obviously, if you think you are going to be down near the bottom for 2 or 3 years, then it doesn't bode well for trading away picks. But if you think your team is going to move up the standings, then there is less risk.

Therefore, I think condensing is better......I think???? Thank you for your responses! Does anyone see it the same way as me?

I would be more in favour of trading back a few spots and accumulating draft picks. We need to make up for years and years of terrible drafting. No better way to do that then getting as many picks as we can. If we traded our 6th back to 10-15 range and picked up a couple more decent picks, I would be fine with that.

I have been arguing with myself over the question whether is would be wise to use our 2016 picks to move up this and next years draft ?

My arguement comes from whether trading our 2016 picks for improved draft position in the next 2 drafts is worth the risk of loosing out on a real good pick in 2016?

Personally, I lean towards trading them away for improved position ( using the quality over quantity arguement)

Example:

Trade

2014 - 1st rounder + 2016 2nd + Cole Cassels for the 2014 (4th overall )

( Reason Calagary may do this is they are targetting Richie and are willing to take the risk of loosing him 2 picks away) + (The reason Vancouver does this is it guarantees a choice of 2

of the top 5 picks)

Then a year later: Trade our 2015 1st rounder and our 2016 1st rounder to a team further up the 2015 first round ladder.

In both cases, this improves our quality of our picks and allows us to speed up our rebuild, as usually the picks closer to the number one are more NHL ready and of higher quality

Admittedly....BIG RISK

To me this isn't about the Trades but whether the strategy works?

I think a big risk is looking too far ahead. They need to take what they have and nothing less. That's been the problem. Unfortunately Ron Delorme and Co are still the heads of scouting. That's where the real problem lies, not in the pick position but in whom they are trusting their scouting. It's been terrible for ever.

Archived