The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who do you choose with the 1st overall pick Reinhart of Ekblad

Wh  

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

To me.. it depends on my teams needs. Reinhart will turn into a #1 centre and Ekblad could turn into your franchise defenseman. Ekblad will take longer to show his prime, probably until hes 26-28 whereas a forward will show his upside a few years earlier.

Ekblad is something of a freak of nature. I'd say he'll be able to slide in quickly just with his defensive play. Similar to Seth Jones. Not the same but similar.

The forward has always been better than the defenseman.

Crosby>J. Johnson

Toews> E. Johnson

Tavares> Hedman

Stamkos> Doughty

Hall> Gudbranson

MacKinnon> Jones (most likely)

Aside form Yakupov/Murray, the forward has been the better selection to make.

We finished near the bottom of the league in goals for. We finished around the middle in goals against. Why would we want a D-man?

Ekblad may have potential, but in lots of cases, defensemen haven't reached their potential. I would definitely rather have Reinhart who will be a 80-90 point franchise center, or at least a 60-70 point first line center.

We need offense. If we somehow trade for the 1st overall pick, we should take Sam Reinhart.

well for the most part the forward was also considered the better prospect in all those drafts you mentioned

That's the difference this year, very even so its a hard call. I think the only one of the group you mentioned where was even any debate was McKinnon/Jones but even that was more media driven than anything, and the media likes to create a story of 'who goes at number 1'.

There was never any question the McKinnon's skill was beyond anyone else, it was more of Colorado was lacking a big young stud D and Jones dad played bball in Col, (I believe he may have been born there etc etc, hometown boy).

So I don't think your argument holds here, those cases don't really apply, apples and oranges.

Look at 1993, Daigle vs Pronger now that was a debate, but there just haven't been many situations like this, no clear cut number 1

And more importantly, generalizing that a forward has always been better is not a very strong argument simply because its a generalization, every year is different because the players are different, its based on individuals not history, history (Doughty and Stamkos for instance) have no bearing on how Ekblad or Reinhart will perform, they are two different players.

To me.. it depends on my teams needs. Reinhart will turn into a #1 centre and Ekblad could turn into your franchise defenseman. Ekblad will take longer to show his prime, probably until hes 26-28 whereas a forward will show his upside a few years earlier.

Exactly, and I do expect that this draft will see a number of surprises from the mid to later picks that could turn into stars.

Most scouts are saying while there isn't much 'elite' talent this year there is still alot of talent in the first round.

Ie it seems like the probability of the first rounders to making the NHL is actually quite high, but their ceilings are seen as lower.

I don't believe in ceilings personally, if a player has the ability to make it, it then comes down to drive, and you can't measure that. That is what separates an average/good player from the great, the drive to improve (Look at Kesler, he had the drive to improve until 2011, when he thought he arrived, then stopped working, and now he's a decent/average NHL'er at 2c, but not a GREAT one, then look at Jagr and Crosby and how they work to stay elite....)

There will be a guy like Ehlers, Nylander, Ritchie, Virtanen, Ho Sang, one of the Russians, etc who wasn't even a discussion of top 5 who will end up being a star, wait and see!

Archived