The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dave Lowry- Dark horse coaching candidate

Langdon Algur

In all the talk of who might or should replace Torts I was thinking the answer could be here right in our back yard. Victoria Royals head coach Dave Lowry just won coach of the year in the WHL, has improved the Royals every year he's been with them, also had a winning record with the Calgary Hitman and does have NHL coaching experince as an assistant coach with the Flames.

Lowry was also drafted by the Canucks as a player and played 3 seasons as a Canuck. Lowry's last season as a Canuck was the year before Linden's rookie season.

I know Lowry doesn't have NHL head coaching experience but he's a local coach with a proven record of winning with young players. Could be worth consideration at least as an assistant coach.

Lowry's official bio can be found here:

http://www.victoriaroyals.com/bio-dave-lowry

Thoughts?

Worth considering as an assistant.. for our farm team.

He's gotta get at least some AHL head coach experience.

I don't know, the AV's hired a guy with only JR. coaching experience and it worked out pretty well for them. We hired an experienced NHL coach and it didn't work out so well for us.

I can think of two other teams in the WHL in kelowna and Portland that have coaches with far more credible experience in both development and winning and even the coach of the BCHL Vernon Vipers and Penticton Vees who could be looked at for no less than the job in Utica.

Before anyone pipes up about coaching experience, use your heads. even the great Scotty Bowman came from nowhere before becoming a head coach in the league after his playing career was derailed due to injury.

I think Linden has his man though

Lowry is doing a great job with the Royals, a team without the elite talent that a number of contenders in the WHL have, but are difficult to play against, and have a balanced roster that has rapidly improved under Lowry.

I'm personally in the hire Trotz camp and if the Winterhawks' GM/Coach Johnston was interested in getting back into the NHL, he's probably got a step up on Lowry at this point, but Lowry is definitely commanding more respect as a result of the job he's doing in Victoria.

guys like green and lowry (for example) bring in a fresh out look and (like ROY in COL.) a new mentality able to both identify with the players and the game better than the old boys like torts and trotz ect. i for one will be very disappointed if trotz is hired. i do believe ROY came straight from JR. to the nhl level.

this team needs youth start with the coaching staff no more set in they ways old school guys that play the same old systems.

the minute things don't work out these older coaching vets revert to there "system" aka the dump and trap.

TL did say that it might be a person that he passed paths with during his career. However, if anyone comes to Vancouver as a part of this coaching staff, I look for him to bring in Marty Gelinas. They're the best of friends, but he's currently one of Hartley's assistants in Calgary, so I doubt that would happen. Lowry would be a longshot to say the least.

TL did say that it might be a person that he passed paths with during his career. However, if anyone comes to Vancouver as a part of this coaching staff, I look for him to bring in Marty Gelinas. They're the best of friends, but he's currently one of Hartley's assistants in Calgary, so I doubt that would happen. Lowry would be a longshot to say the least.

Didn't know Gelinas was coaching. He was one of my favoruite players when he was a Canuck. Loved his work ethic.

Archived