The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does Anyone Have a Mike Santorelli update?

Whale Tail

Does Anyone Have a Mike Santorelli update?

I have searched online and most is about him getting injured and about to have surgery on his shoulder or speculation whether or not he should be resigned. Would just like to know if the surgery went fine, if he is back to working out and practicing or still on the sidelines from the injury. If he is trying to resign with Vancouver or not etc. Seems like he fell off the grid after getting knocked out for the season.

Thanks for any info!

Speculation
http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2014/01/santorelli-sign/

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Canucks+have+only+about+million+spend+free+agents+under+projected+salary/9729012/story.html

Canucks misconduct player autopsy Santo - Newest posting I could find on him.

http://www.nucksmisconduct.com/2014/4/29/5666074/canucks-player-autopsy-mike-santorelli

The Province fans report grades for players. Santo is one of the only 4 players to get a 4/5 fan grade

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/04/17/canucks-report-card-2013-14-the-fans-give-out-their-grades/

Why does everyone want this guy so bad? He's a washed up vet and isn't fun to watch at all. Wouldn't you rather see guys like Horvat or Gaunce in the line-up? Santo is the definition of a plug.

Why does everyone want this guy so bad? He's a washed up vet and isn't fun to watch at all. Wouldn't you rather see guys like Horvat or Gaunce in the line-up? Santo is the definition of a plug.

"Plugs" don't pace for 20 goals. He was fast, feisty, had decent hands and was good defensively. He's Hansen with better hands and can win faceoffs.

As for me, I'd like to see both Horvat and Santorelli.

Sedin, Sedin, Jensen/Burrows

Trade/UFA, Kesler, Kassian

Burrows, Horvat, Santorelli

Higgins, Matthias, Richardson

As for re-signing him OP, I'd imagine Trev is waiting to hire the GM first but when that happens I'd imagine we'll work on retaining him for 1-2 years at +/- $1.5m.

I'd love to hear how his recovery is going as well. Perhaps some of our local sports media hacks can stop writing soap opera garbage for a few minutes and find out some info on him that fans are actually interested in for a change...?

Did you even watch him play? He was a spark, not a plug. And he had a few GWG that support that...he chipped in when it mattered and could be a bit of a momentum shifter.

You're so far off base.

He has had questionable years in his NHL yes. I would not term him as a plug. I am not expecting him to get a 3-4 mil deal but if the price is right, I don't see why he shouldn't be resigned. For depth alone in the line up. 1 or 2 years at 1mil would be a steal for what he can offer to the team.

He can move to any line up if need be. Face offs were good. 51.3%. He worked hard every time he was out there. Even if he was slowing down producing goals near the end, When he was on the ice you noticed it. He was getting chances or putting pressure on the other team. He is defensively sound. Has some shoot out skill too. If we get him at another local discount deal, I think he brings more to the table playing a same role as Hansen. He was also a great energy on the ice. Who ever his line mates were had an effect playing with him. He motivated others to work as hard as he was on the ice.

I think him and Matthias could have some great chemistry as well

Come on, no need to hate now cause he's not a leaf :P

He's the type of spark up player we need on the 4th line. He's an upgrade over Maxim Lapierre and can provide the type of energetic role we would need in the playoffs. It's a shame that we did not keep Dale Weise because our 4th line would be solid right now and we would only have to build our way up in the roster.

He's not a plug and was on pace for an awesome year. However, unlike MG our new GM has to figure out who is playing where. There is no point in signing Santorelli if Hansen, Mattias, and Kassian can all play his postion. Especially if we bring up a kid or two and go to free agency while still keeping Higgins and Richardson. There is not much room for him. So many people want to take him but don't think further than that. There has to be a planned postion for him to play in, otherwise it's pointless to sign him because he's a nice guy and tried hard.

I would definitely take him before Schroeder though. I'll be surprised if he ever sticks.

He's not a plug and was on pace for an awesome year. However, unlike MG our new GM has to figure out who is playing where. There is no point in siging Santorelli if Hansen, Mattias, and Kassian can all play his postion. Especially if we bring up a kid or two and go to free agency while still keeping Higgins and Richardson. There is not much room for him. So many people want to take him but don't think further than that. There has to be a planned postion for him to play in, otherwise it's pointless to sign him because he's a nice guy and tried hard.

I would definitely take him before Schroeder though. I'll be surprised if he ever sticks.

IMO Hansen gets traded and the Santorelli/Matthias can both play wing. There's plenty of room for him and youth.

UFA/Trade, Kesler, Kassian

he was a bright spot in a team that was getting stale

I'd re-sign him for another year to prove himself, his season was cut too early to judge if he can contribute to this team long term, but no more than 1.5m

The biggest problem the Canucks have is falling in love with overachieving 3rd liners and signing them to long term contracts. I hope the new GM is smart enough to not do this. Lets not forget, he was waived by Florida and Nashville before signing with us as a depth player.

I'd give Gaunce, Horvat and Fox a long look before re-signing Santo, we also still have Matthias and Richardson.

it sounded like gillis wasn't going to re-sign him but i hope linden does...unless his injuries are major and too hard to come back from.......he is the closest to a second line center we have after kesler......santo and higgins i love...

IMO Hansen gets traded and the Santorelli/Matthias can both play wing. There's plenty of room for him and youth.

UFA/Trade, Kesler, Kassian

I agree, in my opinion trading Hansen is a no brainer.

I would love to agree with your entire assesment but I will mention my one worry is that I've seen these types of mock line-ups for the past 3 or 4 years that look awesome on paper but somehow Higgins always ends up on line 2 or 3 and Burrows on line 1, and I don't know if Mattias works on 4 but if we can do that I'm all for it. There is a ton of flexibility in that line-up but it also all depends on that seond/first line UFA. I also think Burrows should be on the third line with the ability to move up in times of need.

This also leaves Sestito as our 13 I guess?

Archived