The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chinese police to patrol Paris streets

key2thecup

Chinese police to help patrol Paris after rise in Chinese muggings

ChinaTourists.jpg

Chinese police will help patrol tourist destinations in Paris this summer after a rise in muggings and attacks on Chinese tourists, a source in France's interior ministry said on Tuesday.

The China.org site, reported that French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve had said that the government invited the Chinese police officers who will patrol tourist spots and serve as interpreters for Chinese tourists.

The site quoted Nouvelles d'Europe, another Chinese-run news group, as saying that at least 10 Chinese officers would be coming to Paris, adding that France’s interior ministry declined to confirm that figure.

Around 1.5 million Chinese tourists visited France last year, spending around 571 euros, according to official figures.This year’s numbers are sharply higher.

They have been boosted by events linked to the 50th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic ties between Paris and Beijing, and because the French have simplified the visa application process for Chinese applicants. Millionaires in China rate France as their top destination.

At the same time, petty crimes against Chinese nationals jumped 22 percent in the first quarter of 2013, a Paris police official told Reuters. He said Asian tourists were targeted because they were known to carry a lot of cash on them.

In March last year, a group of 23 Chinese visitors was robbed in a restaurant shortly after they landed at Paris's Charles De Gaulle airport. In June, six Chinese wine-making students were assaulted in Bordeaux.

A group of 75 French luxury brands including Chanel, Louis Vuitton, Dior and Hermes warned in 2013 that Chinese tourists, the world's top spenders, might start going to London or Milan instead as they view Paris as dangerous.

Last summer, the Chinese Embassy in Paris demanded action and it appears the French government has responded.

The specific arrangement is still under negotiation, and will be revealed to the public soon, the Police Liaison Section of Chinese Embassy in France said.

Last year, French police issued a "Guide to staying safe in Paris" - translated into Chinese, Japanese, Korean and Spanish - advising tourists to carry a minimum of cash, favour small banknotes and watch out for gangs of teenagers, commonly from eastern Europe, who pick pockets while conducting phoney petitions.

http://www.france24.com/en/20140507-chinese-police-help-patrol-paris-streets/

Ive been robbed in Italy and the Netherlands but in Paris all Ive encountered are incredibly snooty waiters (yeah, the stereotypes are true). But then Im not a Chinese tourist.

Guess the Chinese cops are going to have to learn how Police in democratic countries work. Less torture, more smiling etc.

Ive been robbed in Italy and the Netherlands but in Paris all Ive encountered are incredibly snooty waiters (yeah, the stereotypes are true). But then Im not a Chinese tourist.

Guess the Chinese cops are going to have to learn how Police in democratic countries work. Less torture, more smiling etc.

Worst waiter I had was in Rome, gave us our menu, came back to give us water, I guess he heard us speaking English, after that he just straight up ignored us. Seems stupid, we just took our business across the street.

But yeah, you're most likely not going to get mugged unless you're walking around with your cash/valuables in full view. I was piss drunk most of my time in Paris wandering around cluelessly and never had an issue.

really? i spent a number of weeks there and had nothing but good experiences with french people. the tourists, on the other hand, were insanely rude (to each other)

Obviously muggings are deplorable, but a lot of Asian tourists put themselves at risk by carrying lots of dough and having their wallets etc. in full sight.

I agree this was exposed by a French pit pocketer on the show "Scam City"

I cant find the exact clip, but he said Asian tourists always carry large sums of money and valuables with them when they visit landmarks etc.. He once nabbed $20,000 Euros from some Japanese tourist.

http://www.travelandescape.ca/shows/scam-city/

Never got mugged, but there's people pretending to be raising money for charity trying to scam money, and other scams towards tourists.

I just walk away and it's refreshing to act like I don't understand.

I don't get what the issue is. I walked around Paris and explored only part of it in 4 days. If you're worried. Head to the Effiel Tower.

I saw French Security walking around with submachine guns. Doubt someone would mug you there.

I took the Metro, and wondered around by the Sienne, had some incredible pizza. What I was surprised is I didn't see amazing women walking around. Guess I had my hopes up too high. :) The cost of food will rob you blind. I wound up going to little grocery stores and getting fruit and veggies and stuff to make food back at my little hotel.

I do wish I had more time to explore the Louvre. But honestly I liked the Rodin Museum a lot more.

I dont shower when I vacation. I stink so bad no one approaches me and Ive never been robbed. Smart huh?

Not sure if that is smart, especially if you wanted to hook up with a girl. Now in Paris, you would probably fit in since no one showers there and they would probably think you actually live there.

Archived