The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Homeless Man Gets A Home

Junkyard Dog

1 week later he sold it for booze money.

As pessimistic as you may be about it and rightfully so, it's technically not 'his', as in, he doesn't own it. He, therefore, cannot sell it.

It has been rented out to him for one year.

He has 20,000 to spend, essentially, but it is monitored.

And since he got a job, as was revealed in that video, he should be able to afford his lifestyle, assuming that he lives cleanly.

Really? that's low man.

My only mistake was not watching the video but hardly.

My soft spot for the homeless died off when I was 10 years old and met a homeless man named Andy who worked for some of my relatives. I used to to pity him because he was so nice always smiling and had to live his life doing yard work just to get extra food from my relatives and living under a tarp hut in the yard. Then I saw him a few more times drunk and literally passed out in the middle of the road. Without going into detail I started to realize many homeless people are in that position because of their own addictions and life choices. I have learned the hard way that helping a homeless person is often as productive as throwing your money down a toilet.

I am not against helping the homeless but I feel it is only worth doing if you help them with whatever made them that way to begin with.

But I guess whatever makes people feel better about themselves. They gave the guy $1000 and he did nothing with his life so might as well give him $44K now.

As pessimistic as you may be about it and rightfully so, it's technically not 'his', as in, he doesn't own it. He, therefore, cannot sell it.

It has been rented out to him for one year.

He has 20,000 to spend, essentially, but it is monitored.

And since he got a job, as was revealed in that video, he should be able to afford his lifestyle, assuming that he lives cleanly.

Yes I did not watch the full video I mainly skimmed it to see his reaction at first.

But yeah for me it is come back in a year plus and I will give him a pat on the back if he proves he turned his life around.

My soft spot for the homeless died off when I was 10 years old and met a homeless man named Andy who worked for some of my relatives. I used to to pity him because he was so nice always smiling and had to live his life doing yard work just to get extra food from my relatives and living under a tarp hut in the yard. Then I saw him a few more times drunk and literally passed out in the middle of the road. Without going into detail I started to realize many homeless people are in that position because of their own addictions and life choices. I have learned the hard way that helping a homeless person is often as productive as throwing your money down a toilet.

I am not against helping the homeless but I feel it is only worth doing if you help them with whatever made them that way to begin with.

But I guess whatever makes people feel better about themselves. They gave the guy $1000 and he did nothing with his life so might as well give him $44K now.

Yes I did not watch the full video I mainly skimmed it to see his reaction at first.

But yeah for me it is come back in a year plus and I will give him a pat on the back if he proves he turned his life around.

His thank-you was very heart-felt, in my opinion. He seemed happy that he got his job, despite having no place to live. But now that he has a house (to stay) and a job, one would assume that he's the happiest that he's ever been and he shouldn't go down the path of unhappiness.

It's too bad about the homeless man being drunk in the middle of the road despite being helped. Look at someone like Charlie Sheen; as much of a moron as he is, he's wealthy and clearly unhappy with his life to go through the things that he did. Not giving him a free pass at all because he should know better, but unhappiness can sometimes be unrelated to money. These are root issues.

But, if he knows that people are watching him (either in a good/bad way) and he realizes that there is support around him, I believe this particular man will be a comeback story.

What I would like him to do later is for him to be a mentor to high-risk youths.

Did you watch that video before commenting this?

I strongly suggest you do.

Of couse I did and I watched it again because I was unsure. I still don't get why they taunted him with a fake win in the beginning. That's cruel.

Ah I get it, your link only showed from the point that they were tricking him. Watch your link, he starts with a recap says "last week I made a homeless guy think he won the lottery". It just sounds bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK1vPu6U2B0

Of couse I did and I watched it again because I was unsure. I still don't get why they taunted him with a fake win in the beginning. That's cruel.

Ah I get it, your link only showed from the point that they were tricking him. Watch your link, he starts with a recap says "last week I made a homeless guy think he won the lottery". It just sounds bad.

I was very very confused by the video too.

At first I was confused as well but then he said in the first video how people were touched by how he wanted to give back some of the money. I put two and two together and realized that they wanted to surprise him with a kind gesture because apparently this guy was a good guy according to the public(figured that out from the 2nd video).

I paid attention to detail.

Also I highly doubt that any well known Youtuber would want to prank a homeless man and post the video on Youtube. That shit wouldn't go down well.

Your logic is somewhat flawed.

Not everyone is the same.

For example. There's a well known homeless man in a wheelchair named Pete where I live, people here call him Pete the Hobo or Hobo Pete. Pete actually comes from a wealthy family but chooses not to live that life. Every now and then if I ever run into him I buy him a pack of smokes. Pete hasn't done hard drugs or anything.

So basically what I am getting out of this is that you don't think homeless people deserve 2nd chances.

Apparently he was a good guy according to the public. He even also offered to give some of the 1000$ back...

His money is also being monitored as pointed out.

Also your coming across to me as a dick with the way you say things.

Your logic is somewhat flawed.

Not everyone is the same.

For example. There's a well known homeless man in a wheelchair named Pete where I live, people here call him Pete the Hobo or Hobo Pete. Pete actually comes from a wealthy family but chooses not to live that life. Every now and then if I ever run into him I buy him a pack of smokes. Pete hasn't done hard drugs or anything.

So basically what I am getting out of this is that you don't think homeless people deserve 2nd chances.

Apparently he was a good guy according to the public. He even also offered to give some of the 1000$ back...

His money is also being monitored as pointed out.

Also your coming across to me as a dick with the way you say things.

Pete is an idiot.

Archived