The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks drafting over the years

OncebeforeIdie

Had a quick look back at what we have done with our first round pick.

1990 Shawn Antoski 18th overall

1991 Alex Stojanov 7th overall

1992 Libor Polasek 21st overall

1993 Mike Wilson 20th overall

1994 Mattias Ohlund 13th overall

1995 no 1st round pick

1996 Josh Holden 12th overall

1997 Brad Ference 10th overall

1998 Brian Allen 4th overall

1999 Daniel and Henrik Sedin 2nd and 3rd

2000 Nathan Smith 23rd overall

2001 R.J. Umberger 16th overall

2002 no 1st round pick

2003 Ryan Kesler 23rd overall

2004 Cory Schneider 26th overall

2005 Luc Bourdon 10th overall

2006 Michael Grabner 14th overall

2007 Patrick White 25th overall

2008 Cody Hodgson 10th overall

2009 Jordon schroeder 22nd overall

2010 no 1st round pick

2011 Nicklas Jensen 29th overall

2012 Brendan Gaunce 26th overall

2013 Bo Horvat 9th and Hunter Shinkaruk 24th overall

2014 ????

Different GMs, different scouts, etc., but wow...we sure drafted some terrible players with our first pick over the years. Other than the Sedin's and Kesler we haven't really drafted a real game changer in 25 years (recent few years still to be seen). Here's hoping for this year.

when I look at that list I think bourdon was a going to be the big fast mobile d man we needed , that was a huge loss but ya were sure had stinky first rounders,

This, and no need to keep reminiscing on the past. It's the past, can't do anything so focus on the recent and future. Our drafting the past 5-6 years has been a lot better and specifically our 1st round picks so here's to hoping that trend continues and not the long time past.

Had a quick look back at what we have done with our first round pick.

1990 Shawn Antoski 18th overall

1991 Alex Stojanov 7th overall

1992 Libor Polasek 21st overall

1993 Mike Wilson 20th overall

1994 Mattias Ohlund 13th overall

1995 no 1st round pick

1996 Josh Holden 12th overall

1997 Brad Ference 10th overall

1998 Brian Allen 4th overall

1999 Daniel and Henrik Sedin 2nd and 3rd

2000 Nathan Smith 23rd overall

2001 R.J. Umberger 16th overall

2002 no 1st round pick

2003 Ryan Kesler 23rd overall

2004 Cory Schneider 26th overall

2005 Luc Bourdon 10th overall

2006 Michael Grabner 14th overall

2007 Patrick White 25th overall

2008 Cody Hodgson 10th overall

2009 Jordon schroeder 22nd overall

2010 no 1st round pick

2011 Nicklas Jensen 29th overall

2012 Brendan Gaunce 26th overall

2013 Bo Horvat 9th and Hunter Shinkaruk 24th overall

2014 ????

Different GMs, different scouts, etc., but wow...we sure drafted some terrible players with our first pick over the years. Other than the Sedin's and Kesler we haven't really drafted a real game changer in 25 years (recent few years still to be seen). Here's hoping for this year.

Patrick White & Brendan Gaunce, WOOHOO!

Well, if Im not mistake, Delorme - the head of the department has been there since the late 80's if not earlier. Other influential scouts like Gradin, Sneps have also been there for a long time.

Great post. It would be rather ineresting to measure it up with other teams' first round picks over that span. BTW, we only got the Sedins because of Brian Burke. I believe there wouldve been a great chance if it were not for Burkie that we'd have picked Patrik Stefan, who was chosen 1st by Atlanta.

This is a short list of who we drafted - who we could have drafted instead as well as (points)

2006:
1st round: Grabner (138, 11 as a Canuck)- Claude Giroux (347) or Milan Lucic (282) and many others…
3rd round: Daniel Rahimi (0) - Victor Stalberg (120)

2007:
1st: Patrick White (0) - David Perron (240) *was the very next pick…
2nd: Taylor Ellington (0) – PK Subban (153), Wayne Simmonds (217) or Jamie Benn *5th round pick (247)

2008:
1st Cody Hodgson (109, 18 as a Canuck)– Erik Karlsson (218) or Jordan Eberle (201)
2nd Yann Sauve (0) – Derek Stepan (176)

2009:
1st Jordan Schroeder (12) - Marcus Johansson (131) or Ryan O'Reilly (171)
2nd Anton Rodin (0) – Reilly Smith (52)

2010:
First pick was in the 5th round, no point.

2011:
1st Nicklas Jensen (0) – Brandon Saad (67)
3rd David Honzik (0) – Andrew Shaw (64)

2012 / 2013, too early to tell. Nothing major after we picked.

Yakupov, just one pick Edmonton made in 2012, has more points than ALL of the picks the Canucks have made for the past 8 years!! ...with 54 points (in a Canucks uniform).

From those 8 drafts, the Oilers players have combined for 1078 points.

I dont like how u are bashing our draft performance. What is the expectation of a good 1st rounder? Playing on the 2nd line maybe? Then you have left out players such as Ohlund, Umberger, Schneider, Hodgson as players who did pan out.

This would also be a more legit thread if you compared our draft performance with another NHL team who is known to have successful drafts: Chicago maybe?

I think our drafts could have been better, but I see nothing wrong with it.

Great picks = 4: Matthias Ohlund + Daniel Sedin + Henrik Sedin + Ryan Kesler

Good picks = 7: Bryan Allen + RJ Umberger + Cory Schneider + Luc Bourdon + Michael Grabner + Cody Hodgson + Bo Horvat

Average picks 6: Josh Holden + Brad Ference + Jordan Schroeder + Nicklas Jensen + Brendan Gaunce + Hunter Shinkaruk

Bad picks = 6: Shawn Antoski + Alex Stojanov + Libor Polasek + Mike Wilson + Nathan Smith + Patrick White

Of those picks, Horvat + Jensen + Gaunce + Shinkaruk can still move up or down depending on how they fare over coming seasons. But I'd say that 11/23 picks leading to solid-good-spectacular NHL players isn't the worst drafting record. Considering so many of these picks weren't top 10 picks.

And two of the bad picks, Stojanov and White, turned into Naslund and Ehrhoff.

I dont like how u are bashing our draft performance. What is the expectation of a good 1st rounder? Playing on the 2nd line maybe? Then you have left out players such as Ohlund, Umberger, Schneider, Hodgson as players who did pan out.

This would also be a more legit thread if you compared our draft performance with another NHL team who is known to have successful drafts: Chicago maybe?

I think our drafts could have been better, but I see nothing wrong with it.

Bashing...no, I wouldn't say that. I would say I was making an observation for the sake of conversation. I don't think that all 1st rounders are going to be superstars or that all superstars were first rounders either. I simply think that in 25 years we missed the mark a lot more than we hit with a "real game changer".

I will give you Schneider (a though a bit more average on NJ this year) and to a lesser extent Ohlund as game changers. Cody may still be that guy, but isn't yet (above average hockey IQ with below average foot speed). RJ Umberber could have been a very good Canuck (if we kept him...which is another story).

Good picks = 7: Bryan Allen + RJ Umberger + Cory Schneider + Luc Bourdon + Michael Grabner + Cody Hodgson + Bo Horvat

Average picks 6: Josh Holden + Brad Ference + Jordan Schroeder + Nicklas Jensen + Brendan Gaunce + Hunter Shinkaruk

Bad picks = 6: Shawn Antoski + Alex Stojanov + Libor Polasek + Mike Wilson + Nathan Smith + Patrick White

Of those picks, Horvat + Jensen + Gaunce + Shinkaruk can still move up or down depending on how they fare over coming seasons. But I'd say that 11/23 picks leading to solid-good-spectacular NHL players isn't the worst drafting record. Considering so many of these picks weren't top 10 picks.

I liike the way you have ranked these picks and would agree for the most part. Maybe 4 out of 25 years for a great picks and 7 out of 25 for good ones is OK? I gues I am troubled by how often they have missed in that time frame. If you include Josh Holden in the bad picks group they have been missing almost every 3rd year in the first round.

When you look at it this way, Chicago didn't have much better 1st round pick. Toews, Kane and Seabrook compares to Sedin, Sedin, Kesler, Ohlund. The only difference is the Chicago players we're draft post-lockout era where team are build with draft. When the Sedins we're draft, other team were build through UFA and teams with a lot of money would have great teams.

Keep in mind that we also deferred Cory Schneider's impact because of Luongo and now the Horvat trade.

1990 Karl Dykhuis

1991 Dean McAmmond

1992 Sergei Krivokrasov

1993 Eric Lecompte

1994 Ethan Moreau

1995 Dmitri Nabokov

1996 None

1997 Daniel Cleary

1998 Mark Bell

1999 Steve McArthy

2000 Mikhail Yakubov & Pavel Vorobiev

2001 Tuomo Ruutu & Adam Munro

2002 Anton Babchuk

2003 Brent Seabrook

2004 Cam Barker

2005 Jack Skille

2006 Jonathan Toews

2007 Patrick Kane

2008 Kyle Beach

2009 Dylan Olsen

2010 Kevin Hayes

2011 Mark McNeil & Philip Danault

2012 Teuvo Teravainen

2013 Ryan Hartman

I liike the way you have ranked these picks and would agree for the most part. Maybe 4 out of 25 years for a great picks and 7 out of 25 for good ones is OK? I gues I am troubled by how often they have missed in that time frame. If you include Josh Holden in the bad picks group they have been missing almost every 3rd year in the first round.

For me, we've had very few high picks. Only 7 Top 9 picks in 25 years, compared to Edmonton having three #1 picks in three years recently. Considering our draft positions over the years, I think we've done okay.

Patrick White & Brendan Gaunce, WOOHOO!

Well, if Im not mistake, Delorme - the head of the department has been there since the late 80's if not earlier. Other influential scouts like Gradin, Sneps have also been there for a long time.

Great post. It would be rather ineresting to measure it up with other teams' first round picks over that span. BTW, we only got the Sedins because of Brian Burke. I believe there wouldve been a great chance if it were not for Burkie that we'd have picked Patrik Stefan, who was chosen 1st by Atlanta.

Yeah even though White was a bust, he did help get us Erhoff.

Heck Antoski got us Naslund.

Yeah our North American scouting sucked but at least we got a good return.

Interesting how the more successful Canucks came from our European scouts than our North American scouts. Ohlund, Sedin, Edler, Hansen, Lack I'm probably missing a few. Just saying

White got us Ehrhoff, who got us the Sedins to Art Ross, who got us to the Cup final. White was the Canucks savior.

White got us Ehrhoff, who got us the Sedins to Art Ross, who got us to the Cup final. White was the Canucks savior.

He would have been had we won Game 6 or Game 7. As it was, it was Patrick White who helped the Canucks near-but-not-near-enough to the Cup. I blame him for the loss.

Kill yo self for calling Shinkaruk average

Kill yo self for calling Shinkaruk average

Kill yo self for assuming a young kid with less than 30 games under his belt this year, coming off a serious injury, and who has done nothing of any significance at NHL, AHL or international level, is anything more than an average pick at this stage. He could turn out to be as important as Kesler, he could turn out to be as worthless as Nathan Smith.

Nathan Smith, by the way, had four seasons in the WHL. 13pts, then 90pts in 67 games, then 60pts in 47 games. Shinkaruk has scored at a better clip than Smith, but there's not a huge difference between Smith's best season of 90pts in 67 games and Shink's 91pts in 66 games.

Until Shink and Gaunce prove themselves, they are firmly in the average bracket.

Archived