The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What are the Canucks ceiling if they just re-tool?

MikeGillis58

If the Canucks just re-tool the roster rather than do a full rebuild, what is their ceiling? Re-tool means keeping the same core of Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Bieksa, Edler, and Hamhuis, but add some pieces via free agency, trade, or farm player.

Personally, I believe the window has not completely shut for this group of guys and what happened last year was an anomaly. Due to hiring the wrong coach, the Luongo debacle, and injuries, the Canucks underachieved. The Sedins will bounce back and become 75 to 80 point players and Burrows should get around 40 points.

I'm also hoping Horvat and Shinkaruk can make the Canucks roster next season.

I think the team has alot of option especially if booth is bought out and hassen is traded for pics before his ntc kicks in.

Tons of cap space 18 mill for the first time in a few yrs. resign tanev booth to reasonable deals if tanev wants more than 3 get him on a plane to edmonton. Sign a decent few free agents and playna few rookies (jensen, corrado, horvat, kenins, shinkaruk , gaunce) who ever steals a spot at camp. Keep pur young swedush goalies and see us make playoffs hopefully if not mcdavid tank and massive trades at deadline.

L

I think the team has alot of option especially if booth is bought out and hassen is traded for pics before his ntc kicks in.

Tons of cap space 18 mill for the first time in a few yrs. resign tanev booth to reasonable deals if tanev wants more than 3 get him on a plane to edmonton. Sign a decent few free agents and playna few rookies (jensen, corrado, horvat, kenins, shinkaruk , gaunce) who ever steals a spot at camp. Keep pur young swedush goalies and see us make playoffs hopefully if not mcdavid tank and massive trades at deadline.

L

Where do you get $18 mill?

Cap Geek has the finishing cap for us at $63,594,026

Factor;

- $1.8 mill Sedins raise already signed ($7 mill each vs $6.1 mill)

- $1.15 Hansen raise already signed ($2.5 mill vs $1.35 Mill)

- $0.87 mill, Kassian assumed raise ($1.7 vs $0.87 Mill).

- <$0.925 mill> Zalewski in minors This is a credit

- $0.294 mill Horvat cap hit to replace Schroeder ($0.894 Mill vs $0.6 Mill)

- $0.364 mill Gaunce cap hit to replace Dalpe

- $1.55 mill, Santorelli assumed raise ($2.1 mill vs $0.55 mill)

- $1.4 mill Tanev assumed raise ($2.9 mill vs $1.5 mill)

- <$0.059 mill> Corrado cap hit to replace Weber

$6.444 mill

$6.444 mill plus $63,594,026 = $70,038,026.

The cap hit was presumed as going to be aprox $71.4 mill. Bettman is quoted as saying with the drop in Canadian dollar to factor $69 mill, maybe even as low as $68 mill as the real cap hit.

Trading Hansen (for no cap hit) would do nothing more than make us compliant with the cap. Buying out Booth only nets us his $4.25 mill salary.

Some factors will adjust (actual cap, new deals for Santo, Tanev etc.). Still, not even remotely close to $18 mill in spend available!

No elite goal tender.

No elite d man.

If Burr bounces back the team can squeak into the playoffs.

If not,there is a first line hole,as well.

Not enough talent or cap space to realistically contend for a cup.

No elite goal tender.

No elite d man.

If Burr bounces back the team can squeak into the playoffs.

If not,there is a first line hole,as well.

Not enough talent or cap space to realistically contend for a cup.

The only point I disagree with you on is the d-core. I still consider it to be serious playoff quality. A PMD is on everyone's list but no team is giving those away. You have to draft.

The top 6 on this team is a shambles until proved otherwise. There are a lot of challenges here. I agree that with twesking this group could make playoffs. A serious contender, no. All one has to do is look

at the existing playoff lineups to see that.

Kesler might force the issue if in fact he wants out. Moving him almost certainly means a movement to a

younger roster. I consider this to be the most prudent move that Linden can make. Move some vets at

their most value to make this group younger and potentially more talented. As much as CDC fans are

excited about the draft pics over the past 2 years there is no guarantee they will even make the NHL.

Canucks have been challenged by a lack of prospect depth since 1970, believe me. IMHO Mike Gillis's

legacy for this org will be the purchase of an AHL team. This is where Van's future has to start.

Depends on two players. Hank and Dank. They need to regain form if we want this team to go anywhere.

Teams have bad years. MTL did a few years ago and now look at them.

This. Yes, everybody on the team needs to contribute. However, if the Sedin's happen to have an off year for whatever reason (injuiries, etc), the rest of the team suffers offensively. You can tigthen up defensively and try to sneak in those 2-1 games victories; however, the Canucks do not have the goaltending or elite defenseman to play to that style either. If the Twins have an off year, the whole team suffers: defense record low offensive numbers, Burrows records low offensive numbers. The only person that will still score between 20-30 goals is Kesler, because his game relies heavily on him doing all the leg work. No knocking him, that's just his game.

L

One of the dumber statements I've seen in awhile.

If this team ever brings in another dynamic forward then we can begin to see where we are at. Otherwise forget about it.

Linden has already stated he wants to make the playoffs THIS year. Obviously we are going to keep some of our core players, but Kesler, Hansen, possibly others will be shipped off for good returns. Youth will also be infused into the lineup with Horvat, possibly 1 other young guy. Sometimes you only need a few new players to spark an entire team, not a full out rebuild.

The-Stanley-Cup.jpg

Pretty much. It depends on what supporting moves they can make, what our young players can do to fill spots and what our retained core can do to get back to their former glory. A few question marks there, and then we'd have to have a good run with luck to go with it, but it's possible.

Am I the only one how thinks if we have a healthy team we are a Cup contender?

There are some are other crazy people out there ... like that guy ^ :)

I love the sticking with your team mentality but not a chance. We don't even have a real starting goalie lol

Get rid of Edler, maybe get someone like Cammalleri through FA, make a trade with our 6th for someone like Yakupov or Kane... If they, Kassian, Tanev and Jensen can all take a big step, yea this team looks completely different top to bottom. Kesler is still good, Hank and Burr should be fine.

Archived