Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeGillis58

What are the Canucks ceiling if they just re-tool?

Rate this topic:

102 posts in this topic

Healthy team, Evander Kane, Zach Bogosian and our youngsters clicking and that would look pretty nice. I'd be willing to let go of Edler, Kesler and even Hansen for the right return. But it would need to be better than what we have received in the past here.

Kassian took steps in the right direction and Tanev, Stanton, Santorelli looked good. Getting Horvat into the lineup and probably Jensen too would do wonders to the team.

As much as I like all of the following; moving Burrows, Kesler, Bieksa (and Luongo) would put and end to the 2011 misery bug that has been haunting us for years now. Sedins and a few others still here of course, but I don't get the sense that it has a negative vibe in the locker room.

if they traded Kesler and one of the core Dmen a wildcard is not totally out of the question, if they kept the current team and added UFAs I don't see it being much better then a wildcard spot, so I why go that route?

Edited by CrazyAL

I don't see any scenario where trading Kesler would make us a better team next season, or the year after. If we want to make a push, he's the 1st guy to keep. Pretty much the only guy who can still score regardless of how bad the rest of the team may be. Plus Kassian is looking to make that jump, and we may finally have a legit 2nd unit.

Unless those core guys with NTC's want out, I don't see how the Canucks can rebuild.

Henrik will bounceback, which will hopefully pull Daniel and Burrows along with him, but Daniel Sedin looked done last year. Some guys just dry up when they lose that 1/2 second on their release. Look at Danny Heatley.

Under a new coach with puck-possession system, a healthy Canucks team could still compete for a 6-8 spot, but I have my doubts about Lack/Markstrom. If goaltending isn't addressed we're a bottom 3 team in the West.

I can't see all of Horvat, Hunter, and Gaunce making the team. Maybe one of them. I'd even be surprised if Corrado is a full-time Canuck next year unless there are injuries.

My feeling is other than a couple minor moves, the top 9 from last year are the top 9 forwars next year.

Best Case Scenario: 6th through 8th

Realistic Scenario: 9th through 13th

There isn't one team who finished in the top 8 this year in the West that I can say should be taking a step back next season. Winnipeg under Maurice for a full season is going to again be on the cusp of being in the top 8, Dallas should improve, the Wild will probably be buyers this off-season. Preds will have Rinne healthy, and the Coyotes will again be competitive.

There are 6 teams fighting for 2 wildcard spots... and let's not even imagine the possibility of the Oilers finally becoming a good team.

If the Canucks just re-tool the roster rather than do a full rebuild, what is their ceiling? Re-tool means keeping the same core of Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Bieksa, Edler, and Hamhuis, but add some pieces via free agency, trade, or farm player.

Personally, I believe the window has not completely shut for this group of guys and what happened last year was an anomaly. Due to hiring the wrong coach, the Luongo debacle, and injuries, the Canucks underachieved. The Sedins will bounce back and become 75 to 80 point players and Burrows should get around 40 points.

I'm also hoping Horvat and Shinkaruk can make the Canucks roster next season.

I also believe that the Canucks are not completely done. A retool is necessary, and a "chock" to the core to wake them up is as necessary.

Historically, measures were much harsher. For example, when a general would publicly kill on of his own in order to wake up the rest and make them work harder. Obviously we've come a long way from that. But such a sacrifice still occurs. Someone important might get fired in order to wake up the rest of the crew.

That was the case for Mike Gillis, who had made a decision on keeping Schneider but couldn't make a decent trade to save his life.

Tortorella was another one who had to go because of the mess that the Canucks turned out to be ever since 2011. I truly think that stating the truth publicly was Tortorella's demise; "Forget about 2011".

If Daniel Sedin, Henrik Sedin, Kesler, Burrows, Bieksa, Edler, and Hamhuis are considered the core, then sacrifice one or two to wake the others up. Some might argue that Luongo was a sacrifice to the core, but really, the guy wanted out, was promised out and Gillis sh*t the bed on that one for two years long.

Each piece of the core is worth more than the whole of the core. When Tortorella said the core was stale, he meant just that. Jaded, uninterested, just going to work.

Certainly, a youth movement doesn't need to be drastic either. But a definite injection of youth is imperative. So is getting the right pieces for the money. As moneyball as Gillis was "known" for, there are some players on this team that are/ were not moneyball at all, leaving the Canucks almost empty handed in return.

The Luongo trade're returns, no harm to Matthias, was atrocious. Schneider returns have yet to be seen, but a 9th only is definitely low. The Ballard and M. Schneider experiments were absolutely tragic. The Booth experiment seems to depend on God.

I believe the Canucks are not done. But there must be a drastic statement sent to the core. I believe it is so stale, that firing the manager, and the coaching staff will not make a dent on those NTC'ed individuals.

I believe that Edler and Kesler can each bring in high returns; enough to retool, bring in some enthusiasm and excitement to the game again, and wake up those stale pieces into performing up to their contracts.

I see main stays of the core as D. Sedin, H. Sedin, Bieksa and Hamhuis. If a core is six players including the goaltender, then the core ought to include Lack and our very soon to be Bertuzzi 2.0; Kassian.

D. SEDIN - H. SEDIN - KASSIAN

HAMHUIS - BIEKSA

LACK

As a core, I'm extremely comfortable with that. With such a core, I see this team as such:

________ - ________ - KASSIAN

D. SEDIN - H. SEDIN - _________

________ - _________ - _________

________ - _________ - _________

________

________ - HAMHUIS

BIEKSA - __________

________ - _________

________

LACK

________

The rest of the players ought be reviewed, including rookies and recently traded to see if they fit.

Why are people still talking about buying out Booth? Where will that cap space go?

Why are people still talking about buying out Booth? Where will that cap space go?

Niskanen? A trade for a top 6 forward? Something, anything better than Booth?

Edited by J.R.

I personally like Booth. He's might just be coming around and another year wouldn't kill the Canucks. That said, if the deal is there and wash our hands clean from that contract, I think the Canucks would do it. Buying him out is not a good option in my opinion.

Niskanen? A trade for a top 6 forward? Something, anything better than Booth

Yeah, I don't see a team giving us anything significant for him, and he's actually the type of player we want, now that he's playing better. Do you think we are close enough to being competitive that we should/can make moves? I think we should just play things out, having so many NTC's and whatnot. If we can trade some of these NTC's, then yeah, make the moves if possible. I just don't see it.

If the Canucks just re-tool the roster rather than do a full rebuild, what is their ceiling? Re-tool means keeping the same core of Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Bieksa, Edler, and Hamhuis, but add some pieces via free agency, trade, or farm player.

Personally, I believe the window has not completely shut for this group of guys and what happened last year was an anomaly. Due to hiring the wrong coach, the Luongo debacle, and injuries, the Canucks underachieved. The Sedins will bounce back and become 75 to 80 point players and Burrows should get around 40 points.

I'm also hoping Horvat and Shinkaruk can make the Canucks roster next season.

After watching the Canucks players in Belarus this morning I'd say Burrows has had his run in Vancouver come to an end. If I never see Hansen on the top 6 again it wouldn't kill me, I'd sooner see him gone! The Sedins will bounce back on the second line with less ice time. NTC have this team tied up.

There are some are other crazy people out there ... like that guy ^ :)

I love the sticking with your team mentality but not a chance. We don't even have a real starting goalie lol

We will have a starting goalie when Lack proves himself to be a starting goalie, which will likely be next year.

Its interesting to see where Linden / Benning /whomever ........take the direction of the team.

I hope Trevor has the fortitude to abandon this year to development and not try to create a bubble team.

Yeah, I don't see a team giving us anything significant for him, and he's actually the type of player we want, now that he's playing better. Do you think we are close enough to being competitive that we should/can make moves? I think we should just play things out, having so many NTC's and whatnot. If we can trade some of these NTC's, then yeah, make the moves if possible. I just don't see it.

He's a $4.25m 3rd liner. I'll give you that he vastly improved his play closer to when we originally got him late this past season but that's still too much money on a 3rd liner. He'll be traded for a ~3rd or middling prospect or he'll be bought out IMO. The money can be better spent elsewhere.

I think we should make moves to get younger and bring in skill (even if it's developing). Regardless of how close we are or aren't, that will only serve to help us.

Its interesting to see where Linden / Benning /whomever ........take the direction of the team.

I hope Trevor has the fortitude to abandon this year to development and not try to create a bubble team.

No reason you can't develop and be a bubble team.

Pretty much every team in the West is on the rise, so realistically making the playoffs will be tough going, and getting out of the first round damn near impossible.

Pretty much every team in the West is on the rise, so realistically making the playoffs will be tough going, and getting out of the first round damn near impossible.

Yup, no need to be delusional and think we are close to competing.

Why are you still defending Booth?

Any UFA worth anything close to $4.25M would be a massive upgrade on Booth. If Booth was a UFA he'd get $750K tops.

The only point I disagree with you on is the d-core. I still consider it to be serious playoff quality. A PMD is on everyone's list but no team is giving those away. You have to draft.

The top 6 on this team is a shambles until proved otherwise. There are a lot of challenges here. I agree that with twesking this group could make playoffs. A serious contender, no. All one has to do is look

at the existing playoff lineups to see that.

Kesler might force the issue if in fact he wants out. Moving him almost certainly means a movement to a

younger roster. I consider this to be the most prudent move that Linden can make. Move some vets at

their most value to make this group younger and potentially more talented. As much as CDC fans are

excited about the draft pics over the past 2 years there is no guarantee they will even make the NHL.

Canucks have been challenged by a lack of prospect depth since 1970, believe me. IMHO Mike Gillis's

legacy for this org will be the purchase of an AHL team. This is where Van's future has to start.

He also drafted some quality players considering that we were picking late in the draft. I think that CDC will look back at MG's time here and remember him for the GM that started a prospect pool that can challenge for a roster spot instead of 'career farm' prospects. I feel for Gillis because he was a casualty of a shinking cap....making moves suddenly became super complicated. People can complain about NTC's but those NTC's saved alot of capspace in a time when there wasn't much wiggle room. However, I do think that we are in good hands with Trevor Linden....let's hope that we get the right coach and GM to rebuild this team and make it capable of winning a SC. The top 6 has to be revamped, maybe the Sedin's move to the 2nd line when a bigger 1st line can be rolled out. Hopefully the upcoming draft will add some of those players who can grab a roster spot in 2-3 years.

Re;Any UFA worth anything close to $4.25M would be a massive upgrade on Booth. If Booth was a UFA he'd get $750K tops.

Booth was on pace for 25 points -similar to Richardson,Hansen and Matthias.

Richardaon-$1.15 M

Matthias-$1.75 M

Hansen-$2.5M

Overpaid and a contract that hurt the core's window.

With all due respect, this title makes my tired head hurt. Really needs the little word, "is".

Hopefully the coming season features a lotta' Gold on the Ceiling.

Re;Any UFA worth anything close to $4.25M would be a massive upgrade on Booth. If Booth was a UFA he'd get $750K tops.

Booth was on pace for 25 points -similar to Richardson,Hansen and Matthias.

Richardaon-$1.15 M

Matthias-$1.75 M

Hansen-$2.5M

Overpaid and a contract that hurt the core's window.

He would get 750k tops? But you just said he matched people making 1.15-2.5 million.........