Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MikeGillis58

What are the Canucks ceiling if they just re-tool?

102 posts in this topic

Any UFA worth anything close to $4.25M would be a massive upgrade on Booth. If Booth was a UFA he'd get $750K tops.

He would get 750k tops? But you just said he matched people making 1.15-2.5 million.........

Well considering almost every player on the team underperformed, I would say they improve just by being healthy and having bounce back seasons.

A buyout of Booth is the first step. Then trading one of the top 4 earning D-men is next.

Do that, and then fill in some holes with the extra cap space, and insert some young talent, and they could be right back in the conversation.

It goes without saying that it's gonna take some smart moves though.

We should probably wait until the current powerhouses (Boston, Chicago, Pittsburgh, LA, Colorado) get a bit older and past their prime before we strike, because we don't match up against them very well at all right now head-to-head.

That being said, this team could contend next season with maybe 1 trade for a skilled top-6 playmaker (ie. Kadri) and bring in some youth so we have a good gradient of age, size and skill across our lineup:

Sedin - Sedin - Jensen

Kadri - Kesler - Shinkaruk

Higgins - Santorelli - Kassian

Burrows - Richardson - Matthias

Horvat/Hansen

We need to slowly wean our current core (Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Higgins) off big minutes and introduce them on to our younger forwards (Jensen, Kassian, Shinkaruk, Horvat etc.) in whichever way possible. The way I see next training camp, anyone's roster spot is up for grabs. The twins played like 2nd liners last season and not very good ones.

Well considering almost every player on the team underperformed, I would say they improve just by being healthy and having bounce back seasons.

A buyout of Booth is the first step. Then trading one of the top 4 earning D-men is next.

Do that, and then fill in some holes with the extra cap space, and insert some young talent, and they could be right back in the conversation.

It goes without saying that it's gonna take some smart moves though.

What you're suggestion is a hell of a lot easier said than done. Who do you think realistically agrees to waive his ntc? I can't see Hamhuis or garrison waiving under any circumstance as their families are pretty settled in here and Edler and Bieksa have openly stated they wouldn't waive. I think despite that , bieksa would be the most likely to waive but even then only to a small handful of teams. The future is very bleak and the longer we pretend like we have a chance to contend, the more painful the coming rebuild will be.

Every team in the west is improving, and even if we do squeek into the playoffs we have virtually no chance, especially given we're facing a Cali team first round.

Trading Lu was IMO the window slamming shut on this core contending. Lack had a solid rookie campaign and will likely improve, but likely not enough to be able to stand on his head on crunch time. The mix of our d isn't very good as they all have pretty redundant skill sets. I just pray the new gm isn't a yes man and brings a fresh and honest perspective(ironically similar to torts)to this team and sees this core for what it is: soft, slow, past it's prime and need for a major overhaul.

It's time to come to grips with the reality, the window is closed and 2011 is a distant memory. We need to take advantage of the assets that we have and trade them for future picks/prospects at the expense of short term success. It's the only way and anyone in disagreement is out of touch with reality IMO.

It's time to come to grips with the reality, the window is closed and 2011 is a distant memory. We need to take advantage of the assets that we have and trade them for future picks/prospects at the expense of short term success. It's the only way and anyone in disagreement is out of touch with reality IMO.

Well you can choose to have that pessimistic view, but in reality things aren't as bleak as you paint them out to be. You're just being a doom and gloom fan like half the fans in this city.

Fans thought this team needed to be blown up before the run in 2011 saying we'd never go anywhere. Nobody has a crystal ball, and alot can change after a summer of good moves.

Well you can choose to have that pessimistic view, but in reality things aren't as bleak as you paint them out to be. You're just being a doom and gloom fan like half the fans in this city.

Fans thought this team needed to be blown up before the run in 2011 saying we'd never go anywhere. Nobody has a crystal ball, and alot can change after a summer of good moves.

N

Nah actually I bet my buddy when I was at school in Toronto that we'd win the cup before the season began and I'd never been so confident.

I"m not being pessimistic IMO, moreso a realist and I think you're being overly optimistic and borderline delusional.

While I agree a lot can change, however, realistically not a lot CAN change, especially with linden proclaiming that our teams D is good enough.(but I guess what is he supposed to say with the top4 all having full ntc). The reality is the western teams, all of them, are hitting their prime and on the rise. Not to mention we have to go through a Cali team to get to the western finals. I'm a huge sedin fan but their days are done being our no1 threat. Our team has been getting exposed for being a one line team since the finals. They're still first line players, but they need support, and kesler is no longer the player he was offensively and he's unable carry a second line.

Also, if we are to buyout booth , who will we use the extra cap space we have on? Owners have already bit the bullet on gillis and torts' contracts; I highly doubt they buyout booth just for the sake of doing it

Sign Jonas Hiller in the off season. He will play 55 games and Lack 27 games. I know goaltending wasn't our problem this year, but Hiller would do well playing in Canucks nation.

Sign a coach that can get the PP going. The biggest move we make this summer is hiring the right coach!

People need to quit living in the past. We are now a 11th-15th team in the west, and 21-28th overall in the league. I believe without Torts, we woulda finished with a top 3 pick. Sedins ceiling is probably 70-80pts now, but the bad thing is...there is NO one to replace them On the first line.

Look at Minnesota, their core: Parise, koivu, pominville, Moulson,Granlund, Suter.

Chicago; Toews, Kane, Sharp, Hossa,Seabrook, Keith.

St. Louis; Backes, Oshie, Steen, berglund, Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, bouwmeester.

Colorado; Duchene, Stastny, Landeskog, Mackinnon,Barrie, Varlamov.

Anaheim; Getzlaf, Perry, Silferberg, maroon, Fowler, Sbisa

Dallas; Benn, Seguin, chiasson, Nikushin, Goligoski

SJ; Couture, Pavelski, Burns, Hertl, Vlasic.

LA; Kopitar, Carter, Richards, Brown, Gaborik,Doughty, Voynov

I just don't see the sedins at 34-38(steep decline years), Kesler(often hurt/injured), Hammer, Edler(giveaway king of the nhl), Lack(unproven #1) as a core that will Compete.

We will be 7th at absolute best if 3-4 other teams sh!t the bed.

Since this fanbase seems to want to be blindly loyal to this core, it'll be 10 years until we are a consistent contender for even a playoff spot. In all honesty, when I take off my homer glasses, I only see this team making the playoffs 1-2 times in the next decade unless there is drastic change.

Why are you still defending Booth?

Any UFA worth anything close to $4.25M would be a massive upgrade on Booth. If Booth was a UFA he'd get $750K tops.

Booth is better than Sestito.

The Canucks ceiling would be a wildcard spot with a first round exit.

They need to find a way to re-build or they will spend the 5 years in mediocrity, and then start the rebuild.

As a guy who accurately predicted the 3 year fall of the Canucks, the trend downhill will continue unless if they figure it out. It's the same reason for why I thought the Canucks shouldn't have re-signed the Twins at the beginning of the season.

I'd say we'd be golden with a mix of a re-tool/rebuild. Trade the likes of Kesler, Edler, Higgins, Hansen etc., sign some free agents and gradually add in youth.

If all our prospects develop into at least 80-90% of what we hope we can be a contender with this team

Shinkaruk Kesler Kassian

Ritchie Henrik Jensen

Daniel Horvat Fox

Matthias Gaunce Burrows

Higgins Santo Richardson

The Canucks ceiling would be a wildcard spot with a first round exit.

They need to find a way to re-build or they will spend the 5 years in mediocrity, and then start the rebuild.

As a guy who accurately predicted the 3 year fall of the Canucks, the trend downhill will continue unless if they figure it out. It's the same reason for why I thought the Canucks shouldn't have re-signed the Twins at the beginning of the season.

The 3 year fall was easy to predict, as no team in today's era could replicate the success we had in 2011 up til the SCF.

The twins though, should've waited til the end of the season to be resigned - would've saved us a few mil of cap room, and maybe 1 year in contract length. There aren't too many UFA's out there worth picking up for our team other than Orpik.

Why are you still defending Booth?

All I'm saying is, if we were closer to competing, then I'd be on your side.

I mean, we have so much dead money tied up in the Sedins, Burrows, Hansen, etc. Buying out Booth alone is not a big solution at this point, imo.

This. Yes, everybody on the team needs to contribute. However, if the Sedin's happen to have an off year for whatever reason (injuiries, etc), the rest of the team suffers offensively. You can tigthen up defensively and try to sneak in those 2-1 games victories; however, the Canucks do not have the goaltending or elite defenseman to play to that style either. If the Twins have an off year, the whole team suffers: defense record low offensive numbers, Burrows records low offensive numbers. The only person that will still score between 20-30 goals is Kesler, because his game relies heavily on him doing all the leg work. No knocking him, that's just his game.

If this team scored goals and didnt have a off season and the defense played up too its potential, I truly think lacks numbers would have been alot better then suggested. When lack is on his game he smothers the puck alot like cory did. Look at cory great numbers but no support in NJ. If a team plays well in front of a goalie any goalie can look alot better depending on goal support and defensive support. Watching this team lose games when up a few goals in the third was just annoying at the most. You cant win games when you cant put together a 60min performance on the ice, you have to keep offense and defense in a mind set that we have to keep pushing to get more goals too finish teams and win games.

I think that replacing the core should be the prime objective of Canuck management since this goal has clearly been neglected for 6+ years.

The core players are those you build a team around. The old Canuck core was Sedin, Sedin, Kesler, Luongo, and (Hamhuis) if pressed. They wanted Edler to be there but he just never developed.

Since a core player is already gone (Luongo) this tells me they are already in rebuild.

Since the old core players are all 30 or older, who will replace them over the next 3 years. Core guys rarely get traded so they can't rely on that avenue to find them. They are going to have to draft core guys (like Horvat who may become one). So what should they do?

Would they be able to draft a core player with the 6th overall pick? (maybe)

Trade up for first overall and take Ekblad or Rheinhart? (these guys could be core in 3-4 years)(will cost a player and the 6th overall pick...won't cost a core player)

Accept that they are rebuilding and trade Kesler to a contender for a young NHL'er, and a 1st round pick (in the 20's)(core return not likely)

Trading Kesler would be beneficial because it would really help with depth (ie non core players). In a similar way to how the Nash deal helped Columbus. So, it's not a bad move.

I think that replacing the core should be the prime objective of Canuck management since this goal has clearly been neglected for 6+ years.

We went to the finals 3 years ago...

Why would we have replaced the core anytime before then?

This process needs to be done but it hasn't been 6+ years. I would argue the process should have begun after last years first round sweep to the Sharks.

I'm not saying they should have ditched the core players, they should be developing players who could one day take their place. It's a proactive approach and should be ongoing.

Case in point, if the Sedins have an off year or get injured, who can step up? We all know there is nobody as things sit now.

What happened in Detroit this year when their big guns were injured? Nyquist (24) and Tatar (23) stepped up.

I understand that Gillis gave away picks for the cup run. However, the return was for rental players (Paulsson and Roy) who were not kept. But he also gave away a lot of assets, high end and depth players for little return. This should be a hard lesson learned for the new management team. But I don't want to cry over spilt milk. Drafting needs to improve and picks should either be kept, or assets retained if they are traded.

Moving forward, I think the goals are clear. I'd like to think that Linden gets this.

People need to quit living in the past. We are now a 11th-15th team in the west, and 21-28th overall in the league. I believe without Torts, we woulda finished with a top 3 pick. Sedins ceiling is probably 70-80pts now, but the bad thing is...there is NO one to replace them On the first line.

Look at Minnesota, their core: Parise, koivu, pominville, Moulson,Granlund, Suter.

Chicago; Toews, Kane, Sharp, Hossa,Seabrook, Keith.

St. Louis; Backes, Oshie, Steen, berglund, Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, bouwmeester.

Colorado; Duchene, Stastny, Landeskog, Mackinnon,Barrie, Varlamov.

Anaheim; Getzlaf, Perry, Silferberg, maroon, Fowler, Sbisa

Dallas; Benn, Seguin, chiasson, Nikushin, Goligoski

SJ; Couture, Pavelski, Burns, Hertl, Vlasic.

LA; Kopitar, Carter, Richards, Brown, Gaborik,Doughty, Voynov

I just don't see the sedins at 34-38(steep decline years), Kesler(often hurt/injured), Hammer, Edler(giveaway king of the nhl), Lack(unproven #1) as a core that will Compete.

We will be 7th at absolute best if 3-4 other teams sh!t the bed.

Since this fanbase seems to want to be blindly loyal to this core, it'll be 10 years until we are a consistent contender for even a playoff spot. In all honesty, when I take off my homer glasses, I only see this team making the playoffs 1-2 times in the next decade unless there is drastic change.

Words of gold.

That's exactly what the situation is.

Unfortunately, the truth will be overshadowed by stupidity unless Linden and (GM) and (coach) get some collective balls and make the much needed changes this team needs.