The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Nick Ritchie] Junior Point totals vs Getzlaf, Lucic, and Nash

Merci

His numbers and the numbers of others don't mean jack. It's not the numbers that got him to be ranked so high. He has tools far better than any of those guys that you listed. He is a 230 lbs power forward with the best shot in the draft, and he has very good vision. Unlike the other power forwards, he did not get the points from bullying kids, he got them from the tools he has.

His numbers and the numbers of others don't mean jack. It's not the numbers that got him to be ranked so high. He has tools far better than any of those guys that you listed. He is a 230 lbs power forward with the best shot in the draft, and he has very good vision. Unlike the other power forwards, he did not get the points from bullying kids, he got them from the tools he has.

Exactly. Scouts aren't stupid.

This guy is the complete package, which is why he's ranked so high. If all he was, was a 230lb player with a mean streak, he could be lumped in with many other players in this draft.

The guy has quite a bit of skill that some people aren't giving him credit for. When you mix skill and size together with toughness, that's a dangerous package. Those are the types of players we're seeing have success in the playoffs right now.

I find it amazing though that all fans have done for the past 5 years is complain about how soft and small this team is, and now we have a chance to draft a top ranked powerforward with a mean streak and all people can do is point out his flaws?

Guess what? Every prospect in every draft has flaws. That's why teams have development systems in place. As long as the prospect has the fundamentals like IQ and work ethic, the rest can be worked on.

We're gonna get a good player at number 6. The only question is who it's gonna be, and how well is their development going to go. It's up to the organization and that player to mold them into their potential.

IQ could be worked on. Learning is something every human can do. Some just refuse to do it. With that said there are some things that can't be taught. Work ethic maybe, hard working, leadership. A couple of those we have already, could use a game breaker who scores big goals at big times. I'll leave that to the Canuck brass to figure out.

My wishlist is Virtanen or if Florida is actually shopping that first pick Ekblad. Bennett would be nice, him and Horvat would make a sick 1-2 punch down the middle.

Sorry to intrude but Asian captioned your post so I was able to see it. Its so ludicous that I had to say something.

Hey guys.

This is another example of how full of crap Minister is. There is no scout on the planet who watched Beach play who had him any lower than #24 in the draft.

But good ol Minister says (6 years later in hindsight) 'he knew it all along' and wouldnt have drafted him in the first round. No sir. He would not even drafted a point a game power forward in the second round. No way. :rolleyes:

That boy is a third round pick. Yuppers. Well I guess he can go show us his posts in Late 2007 or early 2008 to verify this. Minister is WAY smarter than all the professional scouts. :picard:

Its outright absurd. He has no idea what he is talking about. He makes up bull crap right off the top of his head. If you guys want to convince yourself a 'smart poster' makes posts like this , then I again suggest you find new a guru.

Here is one fairly high profile mock draft for 2008

He is projected to go 10th.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2008-NHL-Mock-Draft/

Wow...that personal attack was totally uncalled for, even if you don't like him.

:lol: OK then! did you see any of the players listed play when they were playing in the CHL ? Have you even seen Ritchie play live ?

IQ could be worked on. Learning is something every human can do. Some just refuse to do it. With that said there are some things that can't be taught. Work ethic maybe, hard working, leadership. A couple of those we have already, could use a game breaker who scores big goals at big times. I'll leave that to the Canuck brass to figure out.

My wishlist is Virtanen or if Florida is actually shopping that first pick Ekblad. Bennett would be nice, him and Horvat would make a sick 1-2 punch down the middle.

IQ can be worked on for sure. But the odds are if players have low hockey IQ at age 18, they're not going to gain elite hockey IQ by the time they're 23.

Being equipped with excellent hockey IQ early on gives a player a better chance at taking their game to the next level. It means they're smart enough to know their weaknesses, so they can either work on their skills, or adapt their games accordingly.

Players who can't do that fast enough usually never take the necessary steps to reach their potential.

DISCLAIMER: Point totals don't mean everything and there have been dozens of duds over the years, they can be misleading and should be taken with a grain of salt. However when taken in conjuncture with style of play and professional scouting they paint a fairly solid picture.

I make this thread since every other 6-10 draft pick seems to get one on Canucks Talk, so here's Nick Ritchie's

gonna copy paste from what I think is the best evaluation of him. I bolded some parts of it if your life is too busy/you're watching Ehlers videos to read the whole thing

Analysis

http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/04/07/nhl-draft-profile-6-nick-ritchie/

Point Totals

Ritchie:

1st year OHL : 62 GP 16g 23a 39 pnts

2nd year OHL: 41 GP 18g 17a 35 pnts

3rd year OHL: 61 GP 39g 35a 74 pnts

Getzlaf:

1st year WHL: 63 GP 9g 9a 18pnts

2nd year WHL: 70 GP 29g 39a 68pnts

3rd year WHL: 51 GP 29g 47a 75 pnts

4th year WHL: 51 GP 29g 25a 54pnts

Lucic:

1st year BCHL: 50 GP 9g 14 a 23pnts

1st year WHL: 62GP 9g 10a 19pnts

2nd year WHL: 70GP 30g 38a 68pnts

Nash:

1st year OHL: 58 GP 31g 35a 66pnts

2nd year OHL: 54GP 32g 40a 72pnts

Just because Ritchie scored similar numbers to these guys doesn't mean its a guarantee they will translate at all to the NHL, but it is another positive sign he has very comparable numbers to some of the elite players in the league.

Videos

13/14 OHL highlights

http://youtu.be/RztPZLG34D0

Game 7 OT playoff winner vs Sam Bennett

http://youtu.be/5fNrfBg8s5U

Perspective: The Canucks will have drafted two players that scored game 7 OT winners with the selection of Bo Horvat last year

X Factor

So what makes Ritchie different that any of the many big players that scored in junior but ended up career 4th liners or AHLers? Well the first thing is Ritchie doesn't rely on his size to be effective it's just part of his game. His speed and shot are highly ranked and so is his IQ, his discipline and consistency are where he needs the most work.

Ritchie as mentioned has an older Brother in the Stars' organization and has apparently used him as a resource for guidance to make the pro leap into the NHL.

Now ask yourself how many other 235 lb players with Ritchie's skill set could ask a family member about the keys to being a pro NHLer. Not many, it's a special gift to have someone going through exactly what you're about to go through and Nick Ritchie's consistency problems and disciplinary penalties are about as weak as issues in a prospect as possible.

We should be very afraid of Burke drafting this guy over us.

Here's the interview he did

Woah what a great thread thanks for doin all this reserch about the guy he sounds great

Can u imagine if he gets taken #7 spot and ends up being Getzlaf version 2.0. O man that would be bugging us for two decades

I think we should get the guy if is still available looks like a exellent ceiling

Exactly. Scouts aren't stupid.

This guy is the complete package, which is why he's ranked so high. If all he was, was a 230lb player with a mean streak, he could be lumped in with many other players in this draft.

The guy has quite a bit of skill that some people aren't giving him credit for. When you mix skill and size together with toughness, that's a dangerous package. Those are the types of players we're seeing have success in the playoffs right now.

No, he is not the complete package if he was he be in the top 3 from all scouts not just one. I'm not saying do not draft him, but do not over hype him.

What does he lack in?

I going to answer that ridiculous question with a ridiculous over hype of the kid "nothing, he is perfect he going to be the best power forward ever in the NHL!" The kid lacks in nothing". " His impressive numbers of 70 points is because he lacks in nothing and he has tools no other players have!" Why is he not number one, the scout must be blind" " A sure not miss NHL power forward that dominated the OHL with unbelievable numbers!" " His shot is so fast, accurate and hard it is unbelievable he did not get 70 goals!" " He hits so hard I'm surprised half the OHL is not injured after playing against him!"

Once again do not over hype the kid! I could care less if the Canucks took him or any of the top 8. I do prefer the canucks take someone with better overall skill like Ehlers, but Ritchie would be good too. Just do not think he is special and too many people here over hyping him.

No, he is not the complete package if he was he be in the top 3 from all scouts not just one. I'm not saying do not draft him, but do not over hype him.

Well what he lacks in speed, he makes up for in size and toughness. I would say he's pretty close to being a complete player.

The scouts don't have a crystal ball. The players in the top 10 are all closer than people realize at this point.

I think you're taking being a complete player as in he's perfect. That's not what it means. It means that he has enough tools in every department, that if he works on them, he can be a well rounded player.

Well what he lacks in speed, he makes up for in size and toughness. I would say he's pretty close to being a complete player.

The scouts don't have a crystal ball. The players in the top 10 are all closer than people realize at this point.

I think you're taking being a complete player as in he's perfect. That's not what it means. It means that he has enough tools in every department, that if he works on them, he can be a well rounded player.

Nope. Especially when it comes to this year between 6 and 12

I going to answer that ridiculous question with a ridiculous over hype of the kid "nothing, he is perfect he going to be the best power forward ever in the NHL!" The kid lacks in nothing". " His impressive numbers of 70 points is because he lacks in nothing and he has tools no other players have!" Why is he not number one, the scout must be blind" " A sure not miss NHL power forward that dominated the OHL with unbelievable numbers!" " His shot is so fast, accurate and hard it is unbelievable he did not get 70 goals!" " He hits so hard I'm surprised half the OHL is not injured after playing against him!"

Once again do not over hype the kid! I could care less if the Canucks took him or any of the top 8. I do prefer the canucks take someone with better overall skill like Ehlers, but Ritchie would be good too. Just do not think he is special and too many people here over hyping him.

Aaah you're an Ehlers fan. I see. That explains a lot. He obviously isn't a god in every aspect of the game but he doesn't lack in anything either. You use sarcasm because you can't come up with any legitimate points

"do not overhype the kid". You act as if Ehlers will be our savior...

Complete package means elite scoring and play making with the ability to play in all three zone without being a liability. Complete meaning able to play away from the puck, but complete with the puck mean elite scoring and play making.

Aaah you're an Ehlers fan. I see. That explains a lot. He obviously isn't a god in every aspect of the game but he doesn't lack in anything either. You use sarcasm because you can't come up with any legitimate points

"do not overhype the kid". You act as if Ehlers will be our savior...

He lacks in speed, play making and has been found to be lazy. He is not that big of a player other than his weight. He will not be playing in the NHL at that weight if he wants to be able to keep up to the pace of the NHL game. Just about every power forward in the NHL has lost weight to keep up with the high pace. He does not have anything specail in hockey IQ and it could be a problem for him when the pace of the game in the NHL is a lot faster. He has more flaws than you want to admit because all you see is size( not that big) and shot, everything else is average. Again you love to over hype and no Ehlers is far from being a savior, but I guess you are suggesting Ritchie is going to be( I mean he so complete of a player that his numbers are outstanding)

He lacks in speed, play making and has been found to be lazy. He is not that big of a player other than his weight. He will not be playing in the NHL at that weight if he wants to be able to keep up to the pace of the NHL game. Just about every power forward in the NHL has lost weight to keep up with the high pace. He does not have anything specail in hockey IQ and it could be a problem for him when the pace of the game in the NHL is a lot faster. He has more flaws than you want to admit because all you see is size( not that big) and shot, everything else is average. Again you love to over hype and no Ehlers is far from being a savior, but I guess you are suggesting Ritchie is going to be( I mean he so complete of a player that his numbers are outstanding)

Others have had to cut down in weight to keep up with the game but Ritchie can keep up. He has good acceleration and is a very average skater. Not as slow as other PWFs. How does he lack in play making? Have you even watched this guy? He has very good vision. He's not lazy. Inconsistent, but not lazy. Inconsistency comes with almost every player.

Nobody can play at 230. I think Ritchie is far better served to play at 215 or 220 at the most.

Kass was 232 when he got here and is far more effective at 215. He still wins all the battles on the boards. Ritchies foot speed is not the greatest but nobody expects him to be a superstar sniper.

He should be able to crank out 25 goals -even 30 on occasion - and hit 60 points. This is the good scenario for him to match Lucic's totals. He may not, but why not give hm the benefit of the doubt.

I certainly dont take him at 6 but that is only because I feel Ehlers and Nylander are better players.

Others have had to cut down in weight to keep up with the game but Ritchie can keep up. He has good acceleration and is a very average skater. Not as slow as other PWFs. How does he lack in play making? Have you even watched this guy? He has very good vision. He's not lazy. Inconsistent, but not lazy. Inconsistency comes with almost every player.

I'm not sure why I'm arguing with you I like Ritchie ( even though you have seriously over hype what you can do) and would not be unhappy if we drafted him but would be happier with Ehlers or any one of the top 5 that could fall, heck even Tuch has just as much upside as Ritchie.

I'm not sure why I'm arguing with you I like Ritchie ( even though you have seriously over hype what you can do) and would not be unhappy if we drafted him but would be happier with Ehlers or any one of the top 5 that could fall, heck even Tuch has just as much upside as Ritchie.

Not sure if you're trolling or just really daft

DISCLAIMER: Point totals don't mean everything and there have been dozens of duds over the years, they can be misleading and should be taken with a grain of salt. However when taken in conjuncture with style of play and professional scouting they paint a fairly solid picture.

I make this thread since every other 6-10 draft pick seems to get one on Canucks Talk, so here's Nick Ritchie's

gonna copy paste from what I think is the best evaluation of him. I bolded some parts of it if your life is too busy/you're watching Ehlers videos to read the whole thing

Analysis

http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/04/07/nhl-draft-profile-6-nick-ritchie/

Point Totals

Ritchie:

1st year OHL : 62 GP 16g 23a 39 pnts

2nd year OHL: 41 GP 18g 17a 35 pnts

3rd year OHL: 61 GP 39g 35a 74 pnts

Getzlaf:

1st year WHL: 63 GP 9g 9a 18pnts

2nd year WHL: 70 GP 29g 39a 68pnts

3rd year WHL: 51 GP 29g 47a 75 pnts

4th year WHL: 51 GP 29g 25a 54pnts

Lucic:

1st year BCHL: 50 GP 9g 14 a 23pnts

1st year WHL: 62GP 9g 10a 19pnts

2nd year WHL: 70GP 30g 38a 68pnts

Nash:

1st year OHL: 58 GP 31g 35a 66pnts

2nd year OHL: 54GP 32g 40a 72pnts

Just because Ritchie scored similar numbers to these guys doesn't mean its a guarantee they will translate at all to the NHL, but it is another positive sign he has very comparable numbers to some of the elite players in the league.

Videos

13/14 OHL highlights

Game 7 OT playoff winner vs Sam Bennett

http://youtu.be/5fNrfBg8s5U

Perspective: The Canucks will have drafted two players that scored game 7 OT winners with the selection of Bo Horvat last year

X Factor

So what makes Ritchie different that any of the many big players that scored in junior but ended up career 4th liners or AHLers? Well the first thing is Ritchie doesn't rely on his size to be effective it's just part of his game. His speed and shot are highly ranked and so is his IQ, his discipline and consistency are where he needs the most work.

Ritchie as mentioned has an older Brother in the Stars' organization and has apparently used him as a resource for guidance to make the pro leap into the NHL.

Now ask yourself how many other 235 lb players with Ritchie's skill set could ask a family member about the keys to being a pro NHLer. Not many, it's a special gift to have someone going through exactly what you're about to go through and Nick Ritchie's consistency problems and disciplinary penalties are about as weak as issues in a prospect as possible.

We should be very afraid of Burke drafting this guy over us.

Here's the interview he did

Bravo Merci best post I have seen by you!

Only thing I dont agree with is I am ok with Burke taking him as I would enjoy one of our CDC ranked top 5! But Yes I like Ritchie at 6 with our pick as well!

And as for the T Pyatt comparison, I would say they are very different stylistically and that would void the comparison!

Archived