The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No Place But Up

Jiggs50

The Canucks were in the thick of the race almost till the end. Injuries, down years, depth and bad luck eventually cost us the playoffs. Missing the playoffs was probably the best thing that could of happened. Don't tell me this team is too washed up, old, or the core needs to be changed etc etc...those are lame excuses!

It was just a terrible and forgettable season.

Like I pointed out this a down year more a lot of guys on this team. Most notably the Sedins, Edler, and Burrows. Bieksa and Hansen could be added to that list aswell. Anyway my point is that all of those guys are bound to bounce back. No way do those guys have such bad seasons again. Not to mention that even with those guys having off years we almost made the playoffs.

With young guys like Kassian, Tanev, Jensen, and Corrado basically on the roster, the future isn't as bleak as most point out. The playoffs next year are a realistic opportunity. And to all those asking/demanding for a complete rebuild, IT IS NOT HAPPENING.

I would be fine with Ehlers, Ritchie or Virtanen btw.

This team is too washed up, old, and the core needs to be changed.

And we were in the thick of it to the end? The thick of what...trying to secure that 8th spot? And then what? So we could get swept in the first round again...like we were the previous two years?

Yeah, we're much closer than people think. Exactly how the Flames finally devalued the remaining assets they had of any worth.

“I felt from day one that it’s stale,” “It needs youth. It needs a change. … We’re not in 2011.”

- John Tortorella

If we keep playing like we played for the last half of the season, we could literally be the worst team in the league next year.

We definitely haven't hit rock bottom yet, that's for sure. That said, I find it unlikely that we get much worse overall - but who knows. At least if we do we will have a shot at first overall in next years draft.

I admire your optimism. You listed a list of reasons for the team's struggles. I'd have to disagree with some of your reasons.

In my opinion the real reasons for the struggles were coming for a few years in the form of mismanagement of assets in addition to hiring a coach who's style is best suited to a different type of roster. Playing the top guys too many minutes wasn't a problem of depth. Although the depth was a bit spotty. It was a sign of a coach who didn't trust the depth he was given.

I really can't see the Sedins, Burrows, Hamhuis, Edler (well maybe Edler) being as bad as they were this year. Just too much pride there to mail it in. Though father time may have something to say about how much they bounce back.

The goal is not the playoffs. It's the cup. For this team the road to the cup goes through California. The way the team is they can't beat either of the 3 California teams in a 7 game series.

The core does need changing.

I admire your optimism. You listed a list of reasons for the team's struggles. I'd have to disagree with some of your reasons.

In my opinion the real reasons for the struggles were coming for a few years in the form of mismanagement of assets in addition to hiring a coach who's style is best suited to a different type of roster. Playing the top guys too many minutes wasn't a problem of depth. Although the depth was a bit spotty. It was a sign of a coach who didn't trust the depth he was given.

I really can't see the Sedins, Burrows, Hamhuis, Edler (well maybe Edler) being as bad as they were this year. Just too much pride there to mail it in. Though father time may have something to say about how much they bounce back.

The goal is not the playoffs. It's the cup. For this team the road to the cup goes through California. The way the team is they can't beat either of the 3 California teams in a 7 game series.

The core does need changing.

Were not far off competing with the Cali teams imo. The development of Kassian and Horvat coming in could change a lot for us. Not to mention La and Ana will be be losing a lot of talent with guys like Selanne, Koivu, Williams, Mitchell, Green getting older etc etc

Yea I agree. People are so narrow minded and have such short memories. Our team was the top part of the league up till the end of December where we were undoubtedly the best team in the league. After December freak injuries to our top players messed up the chemistry, timing, and rhythm of the team and gave zero chance of coming back.

Even though we sucked January onwards, we were so stellar in December that even after that huge initial slump we were only a few points back. Had that been any other team they would've been 10+ points back and just comes to show how well this team played before when healthy.

People think this team is horrendous but they're simply not. A fresh start, few tweaks, new coach to play to the teams strengths more, and promising youth all points to nowhere to go but trend upwards.

Were not far off competing with the Cali teams imo. The development of Kassian and Horvat coming in could change a lot for us. Not to mention La and Ana will be be losing a lot of talent with guys like Selanne, Koivu, Williams, Mitchell, Green getting older etc etc

:D we won't be able to touch the Cali teams for the next few years

You'll be surprised.

In what way? Add a couple guys so the twins Will have another kick at the can? Even then we'll get killed. Anaheim has the most prospect depth in the NHL and La proved that they're magic with signing FAs. Their core is in their prime and will have another 4-5 years of solid success. All 3 Cali teams are bigger, faster, and way more skilled. And the most important thing is that their cores actually produce.

In what way? Add a couple guys so the twins Will have another kick at the can? Even then we'll get killed. Anaheim has the most prospect depth in the NHL and La proved that they're magic with signing FAs. Their core is in their prime and will have another 4-5 years of solid success. All 3 Cali teams are bigger, faster, and way more skilled. And the most important thing is that their cores actually produce.

San Jose will continue to choke, no threat. Canucks can/will take a page out of the Ducks. Year before last they weren't a playoff team, injected some youth, better health than previous years, youngsters produced, veterans/core players regained confidence and they currently stand here in the 2nd round up 3-2 series. Not that hard especially with a #6 pick, that'll be a big impact player if he pans out.

Yea I agree. People are so narrow minded and have such short memories. Our team was the top part of the league up till the end of December where we were undoubtedly the best team in the league. After December freak injuries to our top players messed up the chemistry, timing, and rhythm of the team and gave zero chance of coming back.

Even though we sucked January onwards, we were so stellar in December that even after that huge initial slump we were only a few points back. Had that been any other team they would've been 10+ points back and just comes to show how well this team played before when healthy.

People think this team is horrendous but they're simply not. A fresh start, few tweaks, new coach to play to the teams strengths more, and promising youth all points to nowhere to go but trend upwards.

C'mon TRR, look at the facts. We had the easiest part of our schedule up to the end of December. We hadn't played any of the California teams yet and in that December run, we played exactly 2 teams that were in a playoff position. The remaining teams we beat were all non-playoff teams, and even with that, we had to depend on our goaltenders to help us win in low-scoring games.

And when you talk of the run the team had before Christmas in suggesting that things aren't really that bad, well, even with that run before the new year and a lineup that was the healthiest it was all year, we were still in 8th place.

The reality of the situation in our division is that we will be nowhere near competitive with the California teams for quite a while.

So yeah, I guess in response to the OP, there is no place but up.

Unfortunately,this is the hard reality....Anaheim just keeps coming up with blue chippers...Add John Gibson to that list,and you've got a contender for years to come ...Then you've got LA's Doughty,Quick,Kopitar just entering their prime years....This is not to sour on the Canucks situation,but clearly,there's lots of upgrading needed to be done.

San Jose will continue to choke, no threat. Canucks can/will take a page out of the Ducks. Year before last they weren't a playoff team, injected some youth, better health than previous years, youngsters produced, veterans/core players regained confidence and they currently stand here in the 2nd round up 3-2 series. Not that hard especially with a #6 pick, that'll be a big impact player if he pans out.

The same San Jose that destroyed us a year ago? NO THREAT at all. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately,this is the hard reality....Anaheim just keeps coming up with blue chippers...Add John Gibson to that list,and you've got a contender for years to come ...Then you've got LA's Doughty,Quick,Kopitar just entering their prime years....This is not to sour on the Canucks situation,but clearly,there's lots of upgrading needed to be done.

No doubt they are stacked. But they've got production from their young guys and we haven't. My point being that if we add some young blood and lose some dead weight we are going to be trending up aswell.

Ko doubt they are stacked. But they've got production from their young guys and we haven't. My point being that if we add some young blood and lose some dead weight we are going to trending up aswell.

Hard to do anything when all of the dead weight has NTCs

Archived