The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Buying computer advice?

Dayman

If it is just for browsing and Microsoft office, he doesn't need to spend extra. The guy probably won't be using Photoshop or other process intensive applications. For basic use, even a cheapo budget PC might be sufficient. Although for longevity, I would choose the Mac mini over all those options.

Even though I've never used a Mac, I can see where DefCon is coming from. For something more school/document/work related, a Mac would probably be the better choice if you're not gaming like a madman.

Thanks for the replies yo! I just began looking into the Mac mini and it seems decent. The only thing I'm thinking is it's got a dual core processor which may make it slower than a quad core? I'm not a pro at this kind of stuff though haha.

So how long did you have the Mini for?

Even though I've never used a Mac, I can see where DefCon is coming from. For something more school/document/work related, a Mac would probably be the better choice if you're not gaming like a madman.

I was like you, never used a Mac before until I decided why not after being frustrated with my last desktop PC. Now I mainly use my Mac mini while my Windows laptop is gathering dust. For gaming, I just use my PS3 console anyways since I got tired of upgrading graphic cards, rams etc. Although since am much older, I don't even game much on my PS3.

If you don't care about PC gaming get a Mac.

For the odd game, it can run it. I have amnesia on mine.

I have to use a PC at work and I prefer the Mac I use at home personally.

Although I heard Windows 8 sucks so if you go the PC route I'd stick with Windows 7.

I see, how is the performance on that game? Just want to get a feel of how it works hahaha. Is it a Mac Mini?

I see, how is the performance on that game? Just want to get a feel of how it works hahaha. Is it a Mac Mini?

MacBook Pro 13" with an i5 processor. Never tried the mini but if it's like the Air, it won't handle much in terms of games. Amnesia runs very well on my Mac and doesn't lag on medium settings which is enough for the rare game for me since I play on xbox usually. It's no gaming beast at all, but it holds its own. It's also a 4 year old Macbook so I think the minimum specs have probably increased since I got mine. I also have GTA: SA and Call of Duty 4 for Mac and they run fine at medium.

Thanks for the replies yo! I just began looking into the Mac mini and it seems decent. The only thing I'm thinking is it's got a dual core processor which may make it slower than a quad core? I'm not a pro at this kind of stuff though haha.

You could always upgrade the RAM and you can just buy the Mac Mini with SSD or Fusion drive if you really want a fast computer but I've been using my Dual core and 4 GB RAM computer for a couple of years with no issues at all. It is still plenty fast due to the OS being lighter and more optimized compared to the Windows OS. Plus 1080P youtube movies load up instantly with no lag (obviously with a decent internet connection). Again, for your purposes, the dual core processor wouldn't be any different than if you were to get a quad core unless you were using process intensive applications that require more processing power like Photoshop and AutoCad.

Once you get mac, you ain't going back.

Not true. I code in openMP and CUDA on PC, and do everything else on my mac. Mac's don't typically come with an nvidia GPU and that's vital to some.

Although, I love my mac, (going on 3 years with my MBP) and don't use my PC for anything else. But everybody has different needs. OP, don't get option B. That whole setup was made to be sold 3 years ago. If all you're doing is that stuff, save up the money and you'll probably benefit from a base-model MBP/mac mini. OS Mavericks is way better than 8.1 as well, in my opinion. Regardless, they're both free OS upgrades.

MacBook Pro 13" with an i5 processor. Never tried the mini but if it's like the Air, it won't handle much in terms of games. Amnesia runs very well on my Mac and doesn't lag on medium settings which is enough for the rare game for me since I play on xbox usually. It's no gaming beast at all, but it holds its own. It's also a 4 year old Macbook so I think the minimum specs have probably increased since I got mine. I also have GTA: SA and Call of Duty 4 for Mac and they run fine at medium.

Ohhh okay, thank you! I'm also a console gamer hahaha

For what you're planning to do, a quad-core to a dual-core won't really make such a drastic difference. Quad-core's will respond faster to higher CPU usage as opposed to dual-cores. Quad-cores will, distribute the information through all 4 cores, thus making things run at a smoother and faster pace. Dual-core will distribute it through 2 cores, which for you, would probably be fine considering what you're doing.

You don't sound like you plan to do anything really CPU-intensive on your computer, so with that, a dual core should be fine, just get something with a decent GHz and you should be good.

I think I got that right.

Not true. I code in openMP and CUDA on PC, and do everything else on my mac. Mac's don't typically come with an nvidia GPU and that's vital to some.

Although, I love my mac, (going on 3 years with my MBP) and don't use my PC for anything else. But everybody has different needs. OP, don't get option B. That whole setup was made to be sold 3 years ago. If all you're doing is that stuff, save up the money and you'll probably benefit from a base-model MBP/mac mini. OS Mavericks is way better than 8.1 as well, in my opinion. Regardless, they're both free OS upgrades.

well, am mainly talking about the casual computer users. Obviously there are things that would require you to use windows or a PC with the latest graphics. For the most part though, I would say that Windows would only be a necessity for playing the latest games or for opening up windows applications required for work or school. I know there are also a plethora of business application for windows and most companies still use Windows OS.

Ohhh okay, thank you! I'm also a console gamer hahaha

Then I'd highly recommend a Mac if it's not for gaming. I've legit had 0 problems with mine in the last 4 years. No freezing, no virus, no nothing. I'm not exactly careful with what emails I open/ What I download from torrents or click on either. I may get flamed for saying this, but Apple makes one hell of a computer. I use mine a lot too. If it broke, I'd easily replace it as I feel I got my moneys worth.

My PC is very high-end, so I can't really vouch for the "PC not breaking" when I put a lot of money into this machine. The amount I paid for it, it better not break haha.

But yeah, if you're not gaming, or doing anything CPU-intensive, go for a Mac, this coming from a guy who's never used one before.

Then I'd highly recommend a Mac if it's not for gaming. I've legit had 0 problems with mine in the last 4 years. No freezing, no virus, no nothing. I'm not exactly careful with what emails I open/ What I download from torrents or click on either. I may get flamed for saying this, but Apple makes one hell of a computer. I use mine a lot too. If it broke, I'd easily replace it as I feel I got my moneys worth.

The best thing about it is the fact that you aren't worried about that .exe program downloading in the background after you accidentally click the install button on the yellow bar below the address bar. Also, no more annoying Anti-virus updates and windows updates after you shut down the computer, since Windows needs to fix a bug or patch a vulnerability every time some hacker exposes their OS. People who watch pr0n a lot also use Macs :lol:

Archived